Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3-yr JD-MBA at Northwestern

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

3-yr JD-MBA at Northwestern [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 04:23
I have a question for those in Northwestern’s 3-yr JDMBA program.

I never intend to practice law, so JD is the icing on the cake. (I also don't want to study for the LSAT, so NW is the only JDMBA program on the table, in addition to the MBA-only programs.) I like the additional JD for intellectual reasons and for the credibility it brings in the business world. But I've also heard sound arguments against it:

0. Tuition & expenses: the extra year will cost me at least another 75k
1. Opportunity cost: if someone is determined on the JD and is considering adding the MBA, doing so adds no opportunity cost and might be worth a try. But for people like me, the 3-yr JDMBA means one additional year's forgone salary compared to the other 2-yr MBA programs.
2. Benefits are not quantifiable: Since I don't intend to practice law, I will be competing with the Kellogg students. I'll get the same salary for the same position. Despite of having 75k more in debt, I'll be treated like a regular Kellogg MBA in the job market.
3. The chances of being at the top of class (from an uncle who has a JD from a top law school): Law school is a lot of work. I had no problem in college getting A's on the bell curve, but most of the other kids in college didn't treat schoolwork as a full-time job. Everyone in a top law school does, therefore I'll be working my butt off for a degree that's not even required for my post-MBA job.

I think I will enjoy law school (even in 1L) even just for its own sake, if debt was not such a huge issue. A question for those currently in or admitted to the JDMBA program: Did you get scholarship generous enough to cover at least the extra year's tuition?

Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 3-yr JD-MBA at Northwestern [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 09:48
I researched this same opportunity about a year and a half ago, and while I don't recall all of the specific details, it seemed very much like a losing proposition to me. There are certainly instances where the JD-MBA would be useful, but they are very specific, and it doesn't sound like yours would be one of them.

Will it help you get into the restructuring group at an investment bank? Sure, but it's debatable how much extra value the JD-MBA would add over just a regular MBA (or just a regular JD for that matter - lawyers do get recruited to work as bankers).

Another good resource is the top law schools forum (www.top-law-schools.com). Good luck

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 3-yr JD-MBA at Northwestern   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 09:48