Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

30-day Study Plan - Questions for all experts here!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

30-day Study Plan - Questions for all experts here!! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 11:37
Hey guys,

I have been reading this forum for the past 2 weeks and am amazed with the amount of information, kindness of people and the hard work that everyone seems to put into helping themselves and others. Truly inspiring.

Well, I had a very disapointing testing experience yesterday where I got SO nervous that I cancelled my scores.

3 months ago, I took my first diagnostic test and got a 580 (36q38v). I went to a private tutor for quant and on the last 2 weeks before the exam really gave a lot of me. During these two weeks, I scored around 630-680 on prep tests. Whenever I was able to get a good quant grade (for me, 42 is an already decent quant score), my verbal seemed to go down. I never managed a 700 on a prep test before the gmat (only a 740 fluke on the 2000 prep that I don't consider to be reliable). Since I am aiming for a 700+, I shouldn't have gone in without having scored that in the prep exams. The result was a complete freakout that can be read on the experience section of GMAT club.

With that said, I am not giving up and just signed up for the Gmat again on Dec 20th. I want to apply to at least 2-3 schools for round 2 this year so I want to really give it my all. I am on the mid 600's range. Scoring as low as a 590 on a manhattan CAT to a 680 on a gmat prep. Normally, I score around the 650 range, as I did just one day before the exam (39q/40v).

I would really appreciate if you guys could advise me on my preparation as I feel at a loss of how to organize myself - something essential to obtain my results in only 30 days. First, being realistic, I am expecting to study 2/hours a day after work starting this monday. I am a social person by nature, so I would say that being locked at home for the past 3 weeks before my exam and taking a week off work just exacerbated my anxiety. I ended up sleeping a lot, obssessing a lot, and driving myself crazy before the test. This time, I plan to work (9am-8pm) until the friday before my exam (Dec 20th is a monday), and study every night from 9pm-11:30pm. I will really limit myself of going out during the week but, I will not stay at home on the weekends. I will also try to get 2 hours of study eachday on saturday and sunday though. I will also attend private math sessions for 1 hour two times a week during my lunchtime.

Here are the questions:

1) Error log: I am very interested in this feature, as I believe it was my biggest weakness during preparation. I did NOT use an error log and I did NOT go over my errors as I should have. How do I use these excel sheets? Where is the most basic one that I can find? Judging by my quant scores, it is clear that mathematics or excel spreadsheets isn't my forte. Do I have to use the error log during the CATS or can I go over my past CATS and FOCUS' and use it?

2) CATS: I was overwhelmd with CATS on the last two weeks. I had the 6 official ones, bought 2 focus bundles and the Manhattan CATS bundle of 5 (+the free one). That was my second biggest mistake which is correlated to the error log. I felt like I had so many CATS to do that I didn't have time to correct my mistakes or go over my weaknesses. The result is that now I have ZERO official preps left to do and only 3 manhattan ones. Plus, I do so badly with the MCATS that I feel like it really kills my confidence. What can I do? Are there other CATS that you all suggest? I don't plan on doing ANY for the next 2 weeks. Is that a good strategy?

3) Math skills: Should I go over every math skill? I feel like I already did that with my private tutor for the past 2 months. I know most of the skills. But should I buy a book like the MANHATTAN quant books and start from zero?? How long does it take for the books to arrive internationally? I feel like I have a LOT of material with the 3 OGS (I did the 2 seperate quant/verbal but barely had time to touch the 12nd edition), my teacher's material, friend's material. Would you guys advise me to buy prep books?

4) Verbal: During prep, I normally get 2-3 CR questions wrong, 0-1 RC, and the rest on SC (5+). Therefore, my plan is to study SC. My friend has the Manhattan SC book that I heard is the best one out there so I am going to read that and try to improve my 42 to a 44/45. Alas, I will devote 90% of my time for quant.

Do you guys think this will work?? What should I do for 2 hours each night? Go over the math skills? Practice problems? Error logs? Introduce the CATS earlier, like next week, or later, in about 2 weeks time???

Is 2 hours per day enough to reach my goal? Any final advices??

Monday it all starts again for me. And I'm actually excited to beat the GMAT.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 30-day Study Plan - Questions for all experts here!! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:05
Any advice? :oops:
Re: 30-day Study Plan - Questions for all experts here!!   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2010, 20:05