Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 17:15
Hello everyone

Last month (23rd of november) I took the GMAT, after months and months of preparation. I scored a 640, I was happy, but not satisfied with my score.

I scored a Q:45 and V:34. = 640

Power Score CR :Last time I didnt have the time to read it toroughly, now I realise how stupid that was.
RC: I am trying to apply the e-gmat stretegy for the texts. OG and Verbal Suplement also I have been practicing on several GMATPREP materials
SC : I am reading once again the MGMAT SC guide, I took the e-gmat SC course and the SC-PILL as a preparation for my last test, both helped me to improve my accuracy.

Now I am paying special attention to: RC and CR

I am a non-native english speaker, and I have been focusing on improving my verbal score. I have been focusing on RC and CR questions. I used the Strategy guides of Manhattan and several other resources.

I was hoping to get an expert reply about this.

I have been studying for about 4 weeks now, and I think I have improved my accuracy a little bit.
My goal is to get a score of at least 670.. ( I would not mind if I get an 800)..

I am planning on taking the test again in January 3rd or 4th week of january.

Do you think is possible to improve my score on that time(3 or 4 weeks) and get to the score I want? improve at least 30 points?

I am also re-reading all the Quantitative material specially geomety, angles, coordinate-plane. I hope I can improve my Q, score too.

Please let me know you opinion.. Thanks in advance
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 03:57
You can definitely improve by 30 points in that time frame. The key to it will be not to think about 20-30-40 but only about improvement. I have these 3 tips for you:

Go through the official collection of questions in the verbal forums. That should help you a lot. Go through the explanations for each question.
You may improve on quant by going through questions on GC forum. ( I assume you have exhausted official qs; if not, do these first). Use tags for difficulty level and topics you want to study.
Take at least 3 tests with AWA and IR.

Good luck.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: 30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 05:40
I think it's very realistic to improve your score in that time frame. I would do both but focus on CR rather than RC because I think that CR is easier to improve on, as CR is mostly logic rather than English reading comprehension skills.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 08:27
Thanks..

Yes, I have exhausted official questions for the Q section,. The thibng is, I am still strugling with the Coordinate plane/ angles and Geometry.. if the questions are just above a really basic level, I get confused.

For Q section I am using the GC exams, some questions in there are really good.
I will focus on the verbal forum.

Thanks both for your reply , much appreciated
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: 30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 16:49
Sorry to join the conversation a little bit late, but I definitely think that a 30-point improvement is a completely reasonable goal, especially since you've already identified some clear areas of weakness. It's actually a really good thing that you're bad at geometry, since that's a completely fixable issue. :)

This might sound obvious, but make sure that you get TONS of CR and RC practice from official sources. The strategy guides can be really useful, but most test-takers are held back--at least to some degree--by a lack of precision in their reading on CR and RC, and the only way to battle that is to practice like crazy. The more nasty, difficult CR and RC questions you see, the better you'll get at fighting your way through the language. You might consider using the LSAT for CR and RC if you've already exhausted all of the official GMAT materials.

A 34 is a solid score and I have a feeling that your SC is already really strong, but don't let it atrophy during the next few weeks. If there are any official questions that you haven't already used (in the verbal guide or the GMATPrep Question Pack, maybe?), then be sure to hit them hard this time around. You're probably already working on SC, but I thought I should mention it, just in case. :)

I think your goal is perfectly realistic, and you sound awesomely dedicated to achieving it. Good luck with everything, and please let us know how it goes!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: 30 points imporvement IS IT REALISTIC? 640- 670 or more   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2012, 16:49