Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

30 rank b-school now OR top school later - SOS!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

30 rank b-school now OR top school later - SOS!! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 08:49
I'm accepted to ~30 rank B-school (everything covered)

i din't apply to any top school because my gmat was low (650) and working experience (had 6 months of full time and 2 years of part time experience) was not completely stellar.
i could have applied to 20-25 rank school, but as an international student i was afraid to take a loan.

so I have 2 alternatives:
1) to go to 30-rank MBA this fall
2) to finish my MS in Economics this year and to lend some job, work for a couple of years, and then apply to top school. However, as an international student i'm not sure whether I will find a job in US that will enable me to earn experience suitable for top school!!

job opportinities are quite limited for internationals with either MS or 2-tier MBA ...

I would appreciate your insights very much. Do you think strategy #2 may work well?
I want to build corporate career in US in nearsest 15 years, and then probably will switch to entrepreneurship.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 05:21
Hmm tough quesition. I never quite understood why a lot of people apply to schoools that they're not even sure they would attend.

But that's besides the point. Basically there is no sure outcome in either scenario, but you want to pursue the one that maximizes your chances of meeting your career goals. If you have a full-ride to a top 30 (that's how I'm intererpeting your "everything covered" statement) then you must be pretty competitive. I would conduct a thourough review of the job search results from students at that school and see what the placement results were in the last couple years. I'd also call the career search group to find out more about the difficulties of international students.

Option #2 doesn't sound ludicrious, but the issue is that without a higher GMAT, it might be difficult to attain a top ten. Additionally, if you truly do have a full-ride that's not something that comes along to often. Basically if I were in your shoes, I'd have be pretty sure that I'd have a real tough time getting a good job from the school where I had been accepted before passing on the offer.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 08:30
thanks Truthringer for your feedback; i really appreciate it.

yeah, it's really funny that people spend time+money on applications without being sure whether they will accept it. however, my reason was very simple: I was 80% sure that I would go to school. even now I need another 20% of confidence to make up the final decision.

the school that I talk about is Georgia Tech. the quality of classes is really high and the faculty is great, so i don't have any doubts about the skills that i may get.

the only thing Georgia Tech b-school lacks however is the nationally recognized brand name. employers do pay attention to brand names; it's especially important for me as for international.
moreover it's ranking fluctuates: even though it has 32 rank this year comparing to 42 and 52 on previous two years (good job), i've heard that several years ago they hold 28 rank and then dropped to 40th.

sure, I'm checking the employment experience of graduates. some of them work with grads from top 20. big 4 come to campus.
however, students here have to work hard to get their offers.