Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

31st August is 770 Day on GMATClub.com (Q51, V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

31st August is 770 Day on GMATClub.com (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 04:26
I just read the post of cloudz9 and I guess there is just something in the air today...

I took the GMAT today and got 770 (Q 51, V 42). No words to express my joy :rotate :-D :rotate . If you expect to see profound tips below, save your time and go to the advanced math forum.

Thanks to...
I am another happy member, who has benefitted immensely from GMATClub.com. There are lots of brilliant people participating in the forums, so there is much to be learned. HongHu, Paul, ranga41, riteshgupta1, ajb, richardj, Himalaya, Priti, I feel that your input in the forums aided me the most. You guys are giants!! Good luck to those of you, who still haven't taken the test. Good look to everyone else for that matter...

Special thanks to the founders for making it all possible (This is like a freaking Oscar speech).

Prep
I started in the first week of July. I used the following prep tools (in order of magnitude of perceived benefits):

1. Kaplan 2005 CD - Taught me many of the basics. It's excellent for learning most of the tested math concepts and also for developing speed. I think the verbal is crap in terms of comparability with real test. I found the RCs and CRs particularly useless.

2. OG 10th ed. (verbal only) - This will give you the best idea of what you may encounter on the test. I found the questions on the test slightly harder than the average question in the OG. It's probably because of the stress... I didn't do the math stuff, because I didn't have time.

3. http://www.gmatclub.com - Need I say anything at all? Lots of good questions and lots of smart people answering them. The practice questions in the forums are just the tip of the iceberg - just consider the contributions of Hjort to this site (btw Hjort, you should know that you are also a giant!). Active reading of the forums - about 3 weeks; active participation - about 1 week. I have done a single Challenge - the questions were excellent and I recommend the archives to anyone, who wants to hone their math skills.

4. Princeton 2004 CD - Well, let's give some credit to those guys too. I already don't remember the content, so I can't really compare the tests to the real thing. The math was of average difficulty. Most of you know that the verbal part is buggy and questions reappear in the different tests.

Prep Test Scores

Week 1 - I only did Princeton stuff. I got 730 on my first full test, but the score was tainted.
Week 2 / PowerPrep 1 / Q48 / V41 / 730 - done before OG
Week 2 / PowerPrep 2 / Q49 / V40 / 720 - the next day
Week 5 / Kaplan CAT 1 / Q41 / V31 / 600 - this one really took me by surprise
Week 6 / Kaplan CAT 2 / Q50 / V38 / 700
Week 6 / Kaplan CAT 3 / Q50 / V35 / 640
Week 8 / Kaplan Free Online / Q47 / V43 / 760
Week 9 / GMATPrep 1 / Q49 / V45 / 760
Week 9 / Kaplan CAT 4 / Q50 / V36 / 650
Week 9 / GMATPrep 2 / Q51 / V48 / 780
Week 9 / The GMAT / Q51 / V42 / 770

Test Experience

I did three full tests (with essays) in the three days preceeding the exam. This is not typical of most test takers, but my intention was to turn the real exam into just another prep session. This kinda helped me to fight the stress and I guess it worked out fine in a strange way. Use this approach at your own risk.

AWA
I hate essay writing. I was never good at it and I never will be. My first topic was not a very prolific one, so I did what I could. I'll be happy to get anything above 3.5 on the AWA section.

Math
I can recall 4 questions, whose answers I wasn't sure about. I got 2 hard probability questions in my first 4 questions and I was thinking that I am headed straight towards a 50% hit rate. Judging from my score, I either got those right somehow, or they were experimentals. I got a couple of coordinate geometry questions, but they were ok. There weren't too many straightforward questions on my exam - usually the problems involved quite a bit of reading, so I wrote everything on paper to avoid any stupid mistakes. When I was done, the probability questions haunted me, so I expected a 48/49 score.

Verbal
I feel that the CRs were harder than those in the OG. Most of them lacked clear premises and conclusions. I got 2 bold-faced questions, which I didn't find particularly hard. Most of the SCs had paralellism issues - those are my favorites, because they are the easiest. I got 4 readings - the only extreme one was a 90-liner with only 3 questions to it. What kind of sick joke is that?! Heck, I even had to scroll down to read all the answer choices to the first question! I made up the lost time with SCs.

I am now pretty sure that the most important thing on the exam is to keep your focus. Pay attention to what the questions are asking and don't fret about guessed answers. As lond as your mind is clear, the solutions to the math problems will come to you, and you will be able to spot all the important words in the verbal section.

My emotions are starting to settle down now. After all, the hardest part of the app process, selling my scores and resume, is yet to come.

YEAH!!! Good luck to everyone!!
---------------
Vasil Dosev

Last edited by vasild on 01 Sep 2005, 07:57, edited 6 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 05:38
Wow, congratulation vasild for your fantastic score. I wish you all the best for your applications!
:good :wave

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 11:56
Hi Vasil,

Congratulations on your wonderful score. Your explanations to all Qs were always great, and helped me immensely.

I'm done with my GMAT too, took it on the 29th and got a 720, am pretty happy :lol: ...still need to put in my note of thanks on the site!

Best wishes,
Priti
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 12:22
Outstanding job!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 12:25
Hi Vasil,
Congrats, Great score, we all appreciate your input, dont be a stranger to the forums.

-Ranga

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 15:44
Awesome job, Vasil!! Take a break and :beer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 18:11
Congratulations? You are really a brilliant talent, a bright star sparkling on the GMATCLUB sky

Regards,
Wunderbar03

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 19:32
Congratulations! Thats AWESOME!
a perfect score in maths! amazing! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2005, 00:53
CONGRATS, another insipiration for greater things for the members of this forum.

I hope the rest of us can maintain this level of performance.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2005, 06:17
Vaslid

awsome score.....I hate saying this....but you guys are making GMAT look easy...LOL...just kidding great score dude....best of luck on your apps...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 11:15
:band

CONGRATs brato, mnogo se kefa na tvoq neveroqten score. mersy za gotiniq post daje sam si go izprintil. nadqvam se na 31 octomvri i az da vidq podoben score. Good luck with the apps. hodi da :beer poleesh uspeha. veche sigurno si go narpavil ama az da podsetq.

FORZA GMATCLUB.com

kayser

cheerz
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 11:20
Congratulation Vasil...you kick the ass...I realized that since I joined the forum

I guess I need two brains to get to 770!!!

"To win the battle you need to last 15 minutes longer than your enemies"

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 21:42
Congratulations Vasild for your great score.

also thank you very much for your views and input in the discussion forum.

Goodluck for the days ahead..

Himalaya
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 21:46
Quote:
CONGRATs brato, mnogo se kefa na tvoq neveroqten score. mersy za gotiniq post daje sam si go izprintil. nadqvam se na 31 octomvri i az da vidq podoben score. Good luck with the apps. hodi da poleesh uspeha. veche sigurno si go narpavil ama az da podsetq.

FORZA GMATCLUB.com

kayser, cheerz

hmmmmm..... :dunnow
  [#permalink] 03 Sep 2005, 21:46