Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 04:55
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will risk it and give it ago as I will only live life regretting not taking the risk.

I do hope that if it doesnt work out with regards to banking, the MBA will at least open other interesting doors.

In the UK whilst you dont have to specify age, you still have to input the year you graduated from university etc so it is easy to work out approximate age. Regarding age, whilst I will be mid 30's upon graduation I actually look alot younger so at least I have this in my favour.

Any more stories about older MBAs still welcome.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 10

Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 05:14
MBAUncle wrote:
By the way, as far as I know you are not requested to specify your age during recruiting, right ? I know ball head man with 25 years that looks over 30, on the other hand I know a 35-year girl who looks 28 !

How is it in Great Britain ? Do you have to state your age ?

Unfortunately for the OP it is common to include date of birth, a photo, and sometimes marital status on CVs in Europe. Not sure about G.B. specifically, but I would guess they follow the same standard.

To the OP: It's worth applying, right? If you truly feel that a full-time, traditional MBA program is the path to get you to where you want to go, and your girlfriend is supportive of that decision, then why not? It sounds like this is something you long to do, so go for it! It's absolutely worth at least spending $1,000 on application fees to check out your options.

Best of luck to you!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 06:58
MBAUncle wrote:
By the way, as far as I know you are not requested to specify your age during recruiting, right ? I know ball head man with 25 years that looks over 30, on the other hand I know a 35-year girl who looks 28 !

How is it in Great Britain ? Do you have to state your age ?

As UK Bond Raider says, you can pretty much always operate with a failsafe of graduation years. Not that it really matters all that much to be honest, just the older you are the more they might check out certain factors to be sure. If they like you though, they like you. Mind, I know in some states, you cannot discriminate based on mental retardation. You have to ask how, in many lines of business, that is really possible. I get the idea of what they are trying to put in place, but...

UKBondRaider - PM me. I have some insights on the UK recruiting that may or may not be of assistance.

I think you are making the right move - it is worth throwing the dice. You can always back down before paying deposits, but waiting and hating isn't going to be a good strategy.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:46
ukbondraider wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will risk it and give it ago as I will only live life regretting not taking the risk.

I do hope that if it doesnt work out with regards to banking, the MBA will at least open other interesting doors.

In the UK whilst you dont have to specify age, you still have to input the year you graduated from university etc so it is easy to work out approximate age. Regarding age, whilst I will be mid 30's upon graduation I actually look alot younger so at least I have this in my favour.

I'm in almost the exact same position, and I have the same outlook. I'm 33 and am applying for 2011 entry, and I'm looking to get into IM.

I can't speak to IB, but I've talked to several connections in IM and they don't see my age as a problem (the job market generally, well that's another story...).

WRT age and top bschool admissions, while clearly the admitted student population is clustered around 26-29, I would argue that the applicant population is too. If you check out the CBS thread there's a spreadsheet with all the ED applicants, and there are 2 or 3 out of about 40 who are 30 or older. So there may not be a strong bias against us senior citizens as it seems (with certain exceptions like H/S). Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better ;)

Regardless, you're exactly right, you've got nothing to lose and plenty to gain, so go for it!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 14:44
brainhurt wrote:
ukbondraider wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in almost the exact same position, and I have the same outlook. I'm 33 and am applying for 2011 entry, and I'm looking to get into IM.

I can't speak to IB, but I've talked to several connections in IM and they don't see my age as a problem (the job market generally, well that's another story...).

WRT age and top bschool admissions, while clearly the admitted student population is clustered around 26-29, I would argue that the applicant population is too. If you check out the CBS thread there's a spreadsheet with all the ED applicants, and there are 2 or 3 out of about 40 who are 30 or older. So there may not be a strong bias against us senior citizens as it seems (with certain exceptions like H/S). Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better ;)

Regardless, you're exactly right, you've got nothing to lose and plenty to gain, so go for it!

Posted from my mobile device Image

I too hope that the low number of "over 30" admitted people is proportional to the number of applicants. :?
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 16:26
Guys, please read this article from mergersandinquisitions.com

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/a ... t-banking/

Guidelines
In the FAQ I gave 30 as the upper limit for Analyst-level hires and 40 as the limit for Associate-level hires.
Those were both under the assumption that you graduate around age 22-25.
And those guidelines are mostly correct, but it’s not because of your age itself – it’s because of how much experience you’ll have by then.
Analyst-Level: Banks rarely hire anyone at the Analyst level with more than 2-3 years of full-time experience.
Associate-Level: If you’ve done an MBA banks usually want 3-5 years of experience but not more than 10.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 02:03
Thanks for the PM 3Underscore.

I would also like to add that I spent the weekend meeting up with old friends, one who went to LBS and one who went to Columbia for their MBA. One is now working in Management Consultancy whilst the other is in Banking.

In short, they absolutely recommend the MBA not only for the opportunities but the experience. They also felt that age was not too much of a big factor and gave many examples of their friends and colleagues who were mid 30's and came out with successful offers.

I was pretty much comforted by their words and genuine encouragement and will definitely pursue an MBA (unless I get a job offer before commencing). Thanks to those who replied on this thread.

I guess its now time to get those Manhatten books and start preparing for the GMAT.

Good luck to everyone else in a similar position than myself.
Re: 33 years old. Is it too late for an MBA to do IB?   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2010, 02:03