Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: 350 ---> 650, still very low quant score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Glad to hear your sim test scores are on their way up! Yes, you should receive a response very soon from our support team. If you don't hear within 24 hours, just let me know.

Thanks!

Regards,

Elizabeth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
jedda wrote:
Hey guys,

I am gonna tell you my story here.

I started studying for the gmat around Sept 20th 2013 and I did my prep with both Economist gmat tutor and Manhattan Gmat.

I took my first simulation test from Economist GMAT tutor before starting any prep, without knowing ANYTHING about the gmat structure of questions, without any kind of review of the basics and especially no clue on the topics and on the importance of timing.After some time during the test I even started guessing all the answers because it was seriously getting pointless. The result reflected perfectly my "ignorance" about the GMAT and in fact I got a ( I am a bit embarassed to say it ) 350 as a score (Q19,V21).

So I started my prep, I was a bit discouraged because I have never been good at math subjects. The weird thing however is that I actually love math subjects and I do not get bored while doing them. On the contrary, I found the verbal part being definitely more boring but still I could perform it better.

So after some time of prep, when I reached around 55% of the program, I decided to take another simulation test (11th Nov 2013). It was a CAT from Manhattan GMAT and I got a 560 (Q39, V29). I know it is not a good score but still I was really happy to see that my quant score had improved, and believed it was going to improve further.

Time passed and prep continued. Around 80% of the course I decided to take another CAT from Manhattan Gmat and got a 640 (Q42,V36). I must admit it actually took me more time than the regular 75 minutes for the quant part, so I felt as if I cheated and I promised myself that I would stick to the 75mins for each of the sections in the next simulation test I would take. However I was happy to see my score finally improved, especially in the Verbal part. Quant didnt improve much.

On Dec 11th I decided to take another simulation test, still a CAT from Manhattan Gmat. So as I said before, I decided to stick to the 75 mins on each section, and put the timer. I could actually feel a bit of pressure of the timing. Final score:610 (Q38,V35). Not so good, but not as worse as I would expect. However I was a bit disappointed that my quant score was not improving at all, but actually getting worse.

I tried to focus on some sections I had a few difficulties in, like ratios, number properties and probability. I am really putting myself into trying to understand the whole exercise correctly and it seems I do get the logic behind it, but everytime I am presented with a similar exercise exposed in some different wordings or a few changes to it, I end up panicking and either taking lots of time to solve it or getting it wrong.

Today, after reviewing some (not all) of my weak sections I took one of the simulation tests from Economist Gmat Tutor. Final score: 650 (Q40,V40). This time, I must say, I was very happy with my Verbal Score, but quite disappointed by the quant one. How is it that I dont seem to raise it at all?
The Economist Gmat Tutor software provides the number of hours I spent on each section. The number of hours I spent on Verbal was 30 hours, the number of hours I spent on Quant was 80!!!! and I still get such low score. I feel as if I will never improve in quant, and it is sad especially because it is the one I "enjoy" the most.
My dream score would be to get around 700-720 but I do not know whether I will reach it if I keep on getting ALWAYS the same score on quant.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could raise it? I read the Manhattan guides and did all the Economist gmat program and I seemed to understand most of the subjects, but no matter what, everytime I get too much information in the question text, or too many variables, or different wordings, everything I learnt seems to just cancel out in my mind. Anyone ever had the same kind of problem/feeling? I really do not know what to do.

Thank you for reading this. any suggestion, thought or critic is welcome :)

I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I happened upon this thread and am quite impressed with your improvements!! I myself started similarly not knowing anything of the test structure and question types and scored a 470 (27Q and 27V)on one of the GMAC CAT's. I was definitely somewhat disappointed with this outcome but realized two things: 1)I had truly forgotten some of the more basic quantitative concepts 2)Timing is a serious issue for me and always has been. I studied for approximately 2 weeks using the Kaplan Bundle and GMATClub free materials before taken my second Kaplan exam. This time I took one of CAT's that Kaplan provided with my purchase of their bundle because I had heard it was best to save all OG questions until the end of my studies once I had mastered concepts. I scored a 560 (35Q and 33V). I was somewhat pleased in the improvement given that it was such a short period of time but didn't give it too much weight as I have read the Kaplan CAT scores can be decieving. So, I chalked it up as a small victory...

Anyway, I have been struggling with the timing of my study plan as it has taken me longer to review some of the quantitative concepts than I had imagined it would. What I mean by that is that I either take a longer duration than I expect to cover the concept or I have trouble actually applying the concept to GMAT questions when practicing under time constraints. Given your exponential improvement on quant and verbal, I was wondering if you may have any reccommendations for someone with similar struggles. Approximately, how long did you spend studying a given concept before moving on? On a given day would you study the concept for a certain portion of your time and then move to practicing relevant GMAT questions? Did you decide to focus on the most frequently tested concepts first?

I also have a dream score of above 700+, which will take considerable time and effort on both sections.

Thank you in advance for any insight/advice that you can provide!

Sincerely,

A fellow GMAT struggler
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Keep it up man.Serious respect.300 points is unheard of.

Don't be bothered that much about quant.Most quant is difficult when compared to the actual test.I myself used to score 42,43.I think Q40 translates to about 45-46 on test day.

Since you have an issue holding on to short term information, use a piece of paper to jot down everything the problem provides.Alternatively to improve your focus you can try meditation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi NCH2024,

The original poster hasn't logged into GMATClub in over 5 years (and only posted 4 times in total), so you might not receive a response from him/her. That having been said, you've brought up an important idea that's worth considering (and integrating into your studies).

The GMAT will 'test' you on a variety of different concepts and skills (and sometimes in ways that might be different from how you are used to thinking about certain concepts). Thus, you shouldn't expect to focus on a concept for just a few days and 'master it.' In the broader sense, "review" is especially important when considering that you'll likely be studying for the GMAT for 3 months (or more). If you're using a Study Plan that accounts for that type of review (meaning that you will go back to revisit earlier concepts at strategic points in the course of your studies), then you will build those skills and that familiarity over time. If you're NOT working with that type of guidance though, then you should plan ahead and set aside some review time in your schedule - so that your skills don't 'fade' over time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi NCH2024,

The original poster hasn't logged into GMATClub in over 5 years (and only posted 4 times in total), so you might not receive a response from him/her. That having been said, you've brought up an important idea that's worth considering (and integrating into your studies).

The GMAT will 'test' you on a variety of different concepts and skills (and sometimes in ways that might be different from how you are used to thinking about certain concepts). Thus, you shouldn't expect to focus on a concept for just a few days and 'master it.' In the broader sense, "review" is especially important when considering that you'll likely be studying for the GMAT for 3 months (or more). If you're using a Study Plan that accounts for that type of review (meaning that you will go back to revisit earlier concepts at strategic points in the course of your studies), then you will build those skills and that familiarity over time. If you're NOT working with that type of guidance though, then you should plan ahead and set aside some review time in your schedule - so that your skills don't 'fade' over time.

Rich

Great, I appreciate your response! I think I should have allocated more time for study than I did, but unfortunately, I will be leaving for several months of travel at the beginning of March. I figure now that I should try my best and play the cards that I am dealt and possibly plan to retake the test at a later date.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi NCH2024,

Raising a 560 to the point that you could consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. That having been said, early March is only about 6 weeks away. While you could certainly improve a great deal during that time, you have to consider whether it's worth it to take the GMAT if you might not be close to your Score Goal.

There's no inherent 'harm' in taking the GMAT in March (it's worth noting that there is an 8-attempt lifetime "limit" and you can take the GMAT no more than 5 times in any 12-month period though) and if you don't mind spending the extra money on the Test fee then you can decide either way. From what you have described so far, you will likely need more time and additional study materials, but since you're not facing any notable deadlines, you don't have to make any radical changes to your studies just yet.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI nch2024,

When is your actual GMAT? Do you need some advice regarding your study plan?

You may find it helpful to read the following articles about how long to study for the GMAT and how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, jedda

I’m glad to hear that your score has been improved from 350 to 650. This means that your lowest score at the first attempt is just because you were not familiar with the GMAT question type, and you also have potential and competence to hit the score over 700 by putting more efforts. So, don’t be frustrated with a slowdown in improving your quant score. Remember that GMAT studying is long journey.

Firstly, I recommend you to take actual official GMAT. Your official score could be also different from mock tests’ results. By taking official one, you can examine your ability and level and find out where you are right now, since it is the most accurate indicator. Also, according to your test result, quant score is not that solid without evident improvement. (It’s swinging a little bit.) The first reason of score stagnation could be lack of time spent on analyzing and reviewing the mock test results. Until you get highest score(Q50-51), you’d better keep in mind that weaknesses in quant still exist and you should try to solve it to see the great progress in you quant part. As you analyze the mock test results, you can find out common part where you make mistakes. Focus on getting rid of those mistakes. It seems that you don't need to re-establish and learn all the basic concepts, considering your score. Just studying a few part could be needed right now.

If your quant scores does not improve even though you put an effort in reviewing it, then changing your solving skills could be the answer. With sophisticated and effective skills, you can break through the problem. Quant solving skills that are offered by the companies are all different, and it is important to find the skills that fit you. Conventional ways to solve the questions could not work, because it is really time-consuming. You can refer to this and find out unique and innovative way to solve them: https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/vs

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot