Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (01:49) correct 17% (01:11) wrong based on 34 sessions
Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were constructed in violation of the city's building code.

A)Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were

B)Some buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year had been

C)Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year have been

D)Last year the earthquake destroyed or heavly damaged some buildings that have been

E) Last year some of the buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earth quake had been.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Please explain the answers

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [2] , given: 67

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
x2suresh wrote:
37(OG VR)
Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were constructed in violation of the city's building code.

A)Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were
"destroyed and heavily damaged" is nonsensical. A thing cannot be destroyed and damaged at the same time.
B)Some buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year had been
"Last year" modifies "earthquake". "Had been constructed" indicates the point in time before "were destroyed". Makes sense.
C)Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily damaged in the earthquake last year have been
Wrong for the same reason as A.
D)Last year the earthquake destroyed or heavly damaged some buildings that have been
"Have been constructed" means that the buildings still stand illogically neglecting the earthquake.
E) Last year some of the buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earth quake had been.
"that were destroyed..." is a modifier of "the buildings", making "Last year" a modifier of "had been constructed".

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 12

Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Shilpi85 wrote:
arzad wrote:
I picked B....but E was very tempting as well.

(E) is wrong because on reading the option it implies as if the buildings were constructed last year rather than the earthquake which came last year :D

yup , i agree earthquake is the object of the preposition in the earthquacke. . Prepositions are not part of the core sentence. Hence, this options messes the sentence. Another reason to watch out that modifiers should be close to whatever it's modifying. E is Out.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 21:47
B as well.

Buildings were either destroyed or damaged. And is the wrong conjunction.

Had been is correct. Past perfect tense needed to reflect that the buildings had been built before the quake occurred and destroyed/damaged them
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 22:47
B as well. and/or made it real easy. D is awkard. Combination of past pefect and simple past creates a correct timeline.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2007, 08:05
x2suresh wrote:
37(OG VR)

Please explain the answers

Between 'B' & 'D'

Will go for 'B'

In 'D'
'have been' - past perfect is incorrect..

'A' and 'D' - 'destroyed and heavily' - incorrect

'E' - 'Last year' ...far away from 'earthquake'. May be this is right. Not sure..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:44
Hey Amardeep Sharma, "had been" appears in E as well. :). I guess we should also need to focus on the position of the phrase "last year"

If "last year" in E were to be removed, would E be correct?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 03:30
B....'had been' clearly indicates something done before that something was displayed!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 03:32
ezinis wrote:
Hey Amardeep Sharma, "had been" appears in E as well. :). I guess we should also need to focus on the position of the phrase "last year"

If "last year" in E were to be removed, would E be correct?

Methinks 'Some of the buildings' is wordier that 'Some buildings'.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 19:50
Between B and D, B is the answer.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 17:34
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Re: SC -Some buildings [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 12:31
arzad wrote:

(E) is wrong because on reading the option it implies as if the buildings were constructed last year rather than the earthquake which came last year :D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 16:51
I have a basic question:-
I interpreted the sentence as building were destroyed last year but they have been constructed (re-constructed) after the earthquake & are constrcuted violating the city's building code.
Hence I picked D.
What is wrong with this inpteretation. It seems logical too. Using choice D the complete sentence becomes:-
Last year the earthquake destroyed or heavily damaged some buildings that have been constructed in violation of the city's building code.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 19:46
A and C are incorrect because Destroyed and Heavily damaged does not make sense together.

D is incorrect because Have been shift the tense from Past tense.

E is incorrect because Last year is incorrectly placed.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 21:42
Hi,

My question is different; I re-phrase again.
Taking D as the option the complete sentence is:-
Last year the earthquake destroyed or heavily damaged some buildings that have been constructed in violation of the city's building code.
Now, is the above sentence grammatically & logically incorrect.

Using the logic- The new buildings which were constructed after being damaged or destroyed are violating the city's building code.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 239

CAT Tests
Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 11:03
I put this question in the Lobby of Amazing Questions.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-06-2014
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 16:57
Nilabh_s wrote:
Hi,

Using the logic- The new buildings which were constructed after being damaged or destroyed are violating the city's building code.

Simple answer is, Yes. It is both logically and grammatically incorrect.
The term Construct means to build or create. You always create something new, if something is broken then you don't create it, you repair it. Similarly if something is destroyed then you don't create it, you create something new, which may be similar to the old one, but it can never be the old one.

It is not possible to construct a destroyed building. A building that is destroyed is gone, there is nothing left to construct. Similarly you could repair a damaged building but you cannot construct it.

Now to the grammar. "Have Been" is a Present Perfect Continuous tense, which is used for an event that started in past but still continues. The form of Present Perfect Continuous is has/have + been + present participle (verb+ing). E.g.
They have been working at that company for three years.

But you can't say "They have been worked at that company for three years."

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 07:05

My pick was B. But one question for everyone out there. What if we had one answer choice as -
"Some buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were"

I know that "had been" or Past Perfect is used to indicate the sequence of events. But, if the above was one of the answer choice - then do we pick "were" or "had been". The reasoning being - Past Perfect is only used when required. Since the building were already destroyed as mentioned in the original sentence, obviously they were constructed before their destruction. In that case - the sequence of events could be depicted even without using Past Perfect. Please let me know - Expert thoughts??

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 07:38
Nilabh_s wrote:
Hi,

"Reconstructed" should have been used in that case - instead of constructed..
Manager
Manager

Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 20:30

My pick was B. But one question for everyone out there. What if we had one answer choice as -
"Some buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year were"

I know that "had been" or Past Perfect is used to indicate the sequence of events. But, if the above was one of the answer choice - then do we pick "were" or "had been". The reasoning being - Past Perfect is only used when required. Since the building were already destroyed as mentioned in the original sentence, obviously they were constructed before their destruction. In that case - the sequence of events could be depicted even without using Past Perfect. Please let me know - Expert thoughts??

Thanks!
Re: 37(OG VR) Some buildings that were destroyed and heavily   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2014, 20:30