Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

370 on my first GMAT test, disappointed yet helpful

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

370 on my first GMAT test, disappointed yet helpful [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 15:57
My strategy:
Before the test I decided to make a strategic decision to skip the question and randomly choose the right answer if it takes too long to solve.

During the test:
AWA was ok. At least I wrote something on it.

Quantitive:
The questions on Quant were much easier than I had thought. I would have done much better if I had practiced more. I got 29 points. Maths was the subject I didn't do well back in my high school days, ironically it turned out that my score in Quant was higher than Verbal. When I was at the last two questions, it was less than a minute. The second last question was a discount question. I decided to take the risk to solve it, cus discount questions are usually pretty easy. I'm glad I made this decision. I managed to solve the question but didn't have enough time to do the last question. But I think I made a wise decision because the last question may be a hard one and why not take the chance to solve the question you already know.

Verbal:
I got 13 for this. I was like WTF? I know I'm not a native English speaker (I'm Chinese but I used to go to an English school), but I've spent so much time on verbal and I can't find the result acceptable. If you know me around here you will probably know that I hang around on verbal section a lot. Maybe it's because I'm a slow reader. The Comprehension section really wasted a lot of time and maybe I didn't manage the time well on that.

lessons that I've learned:
Even though I didn't get a good score on my first GMAT, at least I know what I should do to improve myself. I didn't have enough practice on Quantitive for the last few weeks before the test. But since I have taken the test and I get the idea of what type of questions are gonna be on the test, I can spend more time practising those type of questions. For Verbal maybe I need to study more on grammar rules and read more magazines like Times and National Geographic. CR is the thing that bothers me a lot. Although there is a rule to understand the logic, it is hard to figure the answer.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 00:39
faifai0714, It is very nice that u do not give up ! :)

When I read u, I feel that this score is not killing your moral... That's very good ! :)... Actually, it's just an experience done and nothing more: as u said, this exeprence has given u all u need to beat this GMAT :D :)

Well, I'm wondering about your preration:
> How long it was before this test?
> Did u pratice the GMATPrep Test? How many times?
> Have u practice the SC intensively ? (I did 3 times the 1000 SC documents plus the OG 11, of courese :) )
> Have u felt tired during the Verbal section (usually at the half way) ?

About topics to read, proving that it's possible ! :)
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35919
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5919
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 03:03
Thanks for your response Fig.

You are right that the score did not kill my moral. At least I know what point of direction I need to have to improve my score.

Well, I'm wondering about your preration:
> How long it was before this test?
2 months just staying home and study.

> Did u pratice the GMATPrep Test? How many times?
I did one from the mba website and another one from the nova book. I also used the Barrons book ( obviously the least recommended book from everyone here). I felt most of the people just jumped on the bandwagon to say how bad it was and bla bla bla. Actually I didn't think the book was that bad. Yes the Barrons bk doesn't follow much of the model on the GMAT test but it's just some minor differences. At least it has a lot of questions for you to do. I mean every GMAT book has its pros and cons but you just have to take advantage of the pros. Speaking of the nova book, I discovered that a lot of the quantitive questions are quite similar to the book. I highly recommend the nova book if you want an elaborate explaination on maths concepts.

> Have u practice the SC intensively ? (I did 3 times the 1000 SC documents plus the OG 11, of courese Smile )
Woah 3x1000 SC! :shock: I feel ashamed cus I haven't even finished 1000 questions yet. Actually a lot of the SC 1000 questions are similar on the test. So yeah I did not practice SC 1000 as intensively as you did. I should work more on that in the future.

> Have u felt tired during the Verbal section (usually at the half way) ?
That is really a good question cus I almost forgot about this. Yes I did feel tired during the Verbal section. (for those of you who don't know about this: writing test comes first, then you take Quant and finally Verbal) But I think it has to do with a slice of chocolate :lol: . I ate one after the AWA section, probably it boosted my energy on Quant I guess. But I didn't eat chocolate after Quant and I was running out of energy on Verbal. Like Forrest Gump would say: Life is a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Never underestimate the power of chocolates if you know what I mean. My point is, it's better to have a little snack during the breaks to have some brain energy on you.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 03:28
This is good :)... I mean I believe u have several possible rooms of improvments :)

Without pretentions, I suggest u to read my former post asking some advices : http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32018. It would give u, at least, a point of view :)

I was really under troubles because I felt out of ressources at middle of verbal. It was even without doing the AWA sections ! :)... I was on a track with some montains to climb as well ;) : it was not a straight 100 m to run, the lesser that I can say :)

Another important thread is probably the one of Futuristic : http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=244281

How much hours a week can u "sacrify" for the GMAT? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 14:14
I read your thread, fig. I think we are on the same page in terms of boosting our Verbal scores.

Most of the Quant questions that I encountered on the test were simple equations, averages, ratios, roots, percents, speed and rate, median, mode, range, inequalities and geometry. I haven't encountered a probability question. I wonder if anyone who took the test encountered a prob question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 15:20
Yes my verbal is horrible, but I know I can do it I just have to get over my mental block.
  [#permalink] 30 Oct 2006, 15:20