Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

379 out of 1000

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 92

379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 06:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

33% (01:56) correct 67% (00:58) wrong based on 61 sessions
Hi Gmaters

Can you help me choose between A and B? and clarify why. please

379. In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A, but I really like B :?:

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Last edited by Ayrish on 30 Oct 2009, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 09:18
I would have chosen B

for me a patchwork is singular...

byt the way, is there a link to the whole SC 1000 questions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 09:51
It is A because its green fields that surround the valley and patchwork bustles with farmworkers.
I'd got it wrong I too and had looked up the reason at that time.

pierrealexandre77, I'd used http://thousandsc.blogspot.com
Well organized
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 14:40
Totally wrong OA listed on the 1000sc.

Answer is B.

'of green fields' cannot be the subject. It needs to be 'patchwork'.

Moreover, 'many of them' is not the right construction. There needs to be a coordinating conjunction such as 'and', or a relative pronoun conjunction, such as 'whom' in this case. If we wanted to use 'many of them', its most appropriate usage would probably have to be preceded by a ";"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 17:45
Answer is clearly A, although at first try i got trapped with B as well.

The sentence should like this:
379. In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

We use surround because it is referred to fields rather patchwork. Fields is plural, thus we use surround.
We use bustles because it is the verb, which belongs to the patchwork, not the fields

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 18:31
Not able to understand why A is OA.....
Clearly patchwork of green fields that surround is not correct..... it should be surrounds......it is not green fields that surround....but patchwork that surrounds.........
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 92

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 19:54
Hi everyone.
I dont think that there is a mistake in 1000sc, I haven't met yet, however, if you have please post it 1000sc-answers-a-u-going-to-post-q-n-look-here-first-85402.html#p639821, will be very useful.
The problem is dif. question, but it doesn't mean that it is wrong. Although, I am with the majority for the B, I hope to see wise explonation from the GURUs of club. Please.
Thanx.

patchwork - a thing composed of many different elements so as to appear variegated, Can it surround?
many of them is also quite unusual

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 484 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Hi Gmaters

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A is correct. "That" in the sentence refers to "green fields", which is plural and so does "that" too. When "that" is plural, the verb that follows "that" should be also plural (surround), which is only in A and D. This eliminates BCE. The verb of "the patchwork..." should be "bustles", which is incorrect in D. A remains...

Additionally:

"many of them" is better than "many of whome".

Modifying phrase "many of them in the area just for the season" is ellipsis and correct.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 00:37
Ayrish wrote:
Hi Gmaters

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think 'that' refers to the green fields which is plural -> surround is correct
bustles is verb for the phrase 'patchwork of green fields' -> so it is singular
'many of them' somehow look awkward to me but since B is wrong with respect to subject verb agreement, I go with A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 09:33
The OA is correct..Would go with GMATTiger's explanation..Just adding to that - "whom" is used incase of an 'individual' - that leaves us with "them", available in option A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 13:04
No doubt that it is A,
although you may get trapped with answer B

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 13:48
A for me... B seems tempting, but only as long as it takes one to figure out that the subject for 'surround' is 'green fields' and not 'patchwork'.

Good question though!

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 11:46

First Take - Sorround Vs Sorrounds...
sorrounds is wrong as the subject is green fields... which is plural... Hence B,D,E are out..
between A and C.... C is wrong as it refers the farmers as which and also the it should be bustles... since the subject associated is the patchwork which is singular...

Hence answer is A..

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 15:00
which is the subject of surround(s)? 'patchwork of green fields' or 'green fields'?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 14:49
Clearly the subject is patchwork.. I dont understand the OA...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 6

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 06:20
The subject is not "patchwork".

The word "that" suggests that the subject is "green fields" (plural) and hence the verb should be "sorround" (plural).....It is the green fields that sorround not patchwork......

patchwork of green fields (singular).......bustles (singular).......

That leaves A, C and D

C has...."many of who"....who refers to an individual...in the sentence it is "farm workers" (plural)

D has..."many of which"....which refers to a thing not to people.

That leaves only (A)

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Isnt "of .." the middle man here, which can be eliminated.

Hence bustles describes patchwork and surround should go with greenfields.

Eliminate of
In good years, the patchwork {eliminate middleman} bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
Thus surround describes green fields.

Hence the right choice would be A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 00:16
definitely A
patchwork cannot surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town
Also, many of them in A is repetition of keywords, whereas many of whom in B is relative clause
both are concise&good expression, especially because farm workers is right reference in B
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 664 [0], given: 11

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 09:48
Hey All,

This is a very bizarre question, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with everyone who's saying the answer is "obviously" A. I see nothing wrong with B (which makes this problematic as an official answer). Also, there are serious problems with GMAT Tiger's explanation, which many people have been describing as sensible.

He wrote:

A is correct. "That" in the sentence refers to "green fields", which is plural and so does "that" too. [What in the world does this mean? How can something "do 'that'"?

When "that" is plural, the verb that follows "that" should be also plural (surround), which is only in A and D. [THAT is a relative pronoun, and has no plurality. There is no such thing as a singular or plural "that".

"many of them" is better than "many of whom". -- [This is NOT true. "Them" is a subject pronoun and "whom" is an object pronoun. They have totally different uses. In fact, our ears prefer "them", so GMAT will often encourage you towards "whom".]

OKAY! Now that we've dealt with that bit of confusion, we can look at the question.

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

PROBLEM: The writing of this sentence makes it impossible to work out what the subject of surrounds is. It could be fields (because relative pronouns like "that" typically modify whatever they touch), but it could also be patchwork (because "of green fields" is a modifier, just as we could say the King of Spades IS a good card). This sentence is extra confusing because "surround" and "bustle" are both verbs. The A folks in the room seem to want to argue that the "fields" surround the valley, but the "patchwork" bustles. But why? The same subject could just as easily do both.

CORRECT: Whom is correct here, because we need the object of a preposition ("of"). I prefer this answer myself, but I see no actual reason to cross it off.

PROBLEM: You can't say "many of who", you need an object pronoun to be the object of the preposition "of".

PROBLEM: This verb arrangement is odd, as is "many of which". We prefer who/whom for people.

PROBLEM: This starts a new sentence after the comma, which isn't allowed.

Hope that helps, and I'm definitely up for argument! : )

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: 379 out of 1000 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 08:11
doesnt 'that' make the object of preposition the subject of the next clause?

Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

in the example above though the subject is 'disrimination', 'that' makes 'occupations' the subject of the next clause.

PS: i have seen dimilar instances that i am not able to find with preposition 'of' also. please explain
Re: 379 out of 1000   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2010, 08:11