Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3rd attempt or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 20:07
Hello,

I took the GMAT for the first time in September 2011 and got a 580 (q42, v28). A lot of things went wrong on test day and I was determined to retake the test. So I booked in for November. Last week I retook the exam and came out with a 580 again. The break down is a bit different q 47 v25. I was completely shocked as this time around I thought I was doing great. My overall profile is quite unique and I am applying as an Australian (not a very competetive pool). I am applying to a couple of schools with this score (trying my luck). I read somewhere that a low verbal score on the GMAT can be offset by strong essays and recommendations and a high GPA. I have strong essays and a GPA of 3.5. However, I would like to get your advice. Do you think GMAT for the 3rd time is the right move?

Thanks guys

Aanchal
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

Re: 3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 20:33
Yes, would advise a third time take on the GMAT. A 580 will make you uncompetitive at most places even with an otherwise strong profile.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

Re: 3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 22:18
I dont think a third attempt would hurt but it also depends on what schools you are applying to and some other items, like work experience, etc.

If you have a good resume and aren't going too competitive I think you can get away with it, but to be honest I would be shocked if you couldnt improve your verbal score with a little effort.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 01:44
actually, no need, waste time and money. You should try to show your unique in the profile. I think it's better.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: 3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 05:15
Expert's post
Before we jump into which schools you are applying to and whether your score is competitive, let's focus on your GMAT preparation first. How, exactly, did you study for the test? Which books and question sources did you use? How long did you study? Was it consistent or off-and-on? What were your GMATPrep scores? What went wrong on the first test attempt?

Please provide us with as much information as possible, so we'll be able to answer your questions to the best of our abilities.

Thanks!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: 3rd attempt or not? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 17:24
aanchalsinha wrote:
Hello,

I took the GMAT for the first time in September 2011 and got a 580 (q42, v28). A lot of things went wrong on test day and I was determined to retake the test. So I booked in for November. Last week I retook the exam and came out with a 580 again. The break down is a bit different q 47 v25. I was completely shocked as this time around I thought I was doing great. My overall profile is quite unique and I am applying as an Australian (not a very competetive pool). I am applying to a couple of schools with this score (trying my luck). I read somewhere that a low verbal score on the GMAT can be offset by strong essays and recommendations and a high GPA. I have strong essays and a GPA of 3.5. However, I would like to get your advice. Do you think GMAT for the 3rd time is the right move?

Thanks guys

Aanchal

Hi Aanchal,

I am facing the same situation.

1st Attempt : 570 Q42 V 26
2nd attempt : 570 Q 36 V 31

I am going to give it the third time. My main concentration will be on quant. I think it is very important to have a good GMAT score beacuse the competition is so intense & no matter how unique we are , there are loads of people who has a better profile. So I would suggest you to take it one more time. Let me know if you are interested in prep together.
Re: 3rd attempt or not?   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2011, 17:24