Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 17:41
I'm having a difficult time with my 3rd rec for HBS. My first rec is my current manager and my 2nd rec was my director at my previous job. I know my 3rd rec at HBS needs to be someone besides another manager and preferably not work related. Originally my 3rd rec was going to be the director of a leadership program I was heavily involved in during undergrad. He would have been a phenomenal reference. The only problem now is that he's recently been fired...for embezzlement. Now that he's off limits I'm thrown for a loss. My community service work at my first job was through an employee ran committee(my 2nd rec oversaw it). At my current job I'm actually creating a community service committee but don't have any references that know me well enough. The only other unique recommender I can think of is a recruiting and training manager from my first job. I helped out with a lot of trainings and recruitings so he has experience working with me but would probably have a difficult time answering questions about my weaknesses and giving me feedback.

So here are my options below:
1. Another manager from my 2nd job
2. Director from undergrad leadership group regardless of his termination
3. Recruiting and Training Manager from 1st job

Any advice would eb greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
It sounds like you've thought this out well and you have some good back ups. I would personally recommend #3. Recruiting and Training is a big part of post-MBA responsibilities in most jobs, and if he can vouch for your camaraderie and ability to get along with prospective and new hires - this will speak volumes about your leadership potential. Even though he may not have any great ideas in mind - just make an outline for him and "refresh his memory" on a lot of things.

cpgmba wrote:
I'm having a difficult time with my 3rd rec for HBS. My first rec is my current manager and my 2nd rec was my director at my previous job. I know my 3rd rec at HBS needs to be someone besides another manager and preferably not work related. Originally my 3rd rec was going to be the director of a leadership program I was heavily involved in during undergrad. He would have been a phenomenal reference. The only problem now is that he's recently been fired...for embezzlement. Now that he's off limits I'm thrown for a loss. My community service work at my first job was through an employee ran committee(my 2nd rec oversaw it). At my current job I'm actually creating a community service committee but don't have any references that know me well enough. The only other unique recommender I can think of is a recruiting and training manager from my first job. I helped out with a lot of trainings and recruitings so he has experience working with me but would probably have a difficult time answering questions about my weaknesses and giving me feedback.

So here are my options below:
1. Another manager from my 2nd job
2. Director from undergrad leadership group regardless of his termination
3. Recruiting and Training Manager from 1st job

Any advice would eb greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 00:56
You have 1 rec from the current job and 1 from the 2nd job already. I'd choose another person from your current job in that case. They are currently working with you so they will easily be able to write about your achievements. Also I'm assuming you have a higher position in your second job as compared to your first, this would mean that perhaps you have "bigger" examples of your achievements in job 2.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 16:17
fooFighter wrote:
You have 1 rec from the current job and 1 from the 2nd job already. I'd choose another person from your current job in that case. They are currently working with you so they will easily be able to write about your achievements. Also I'm assuming you have a higher position in your second job as compared to your first, this would mean that perhaps you have "bigger" examples of your achievements in job 2.

I like the suggestion however I can't do that. The only person at my 2nd job that knows I'm applying to school is my current manager and he's keeping it quiet from others as it wouldn't go over too well. The nice thing though is that my first company is a Fortune 500 while my current company is much smaller if that helps at all.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 19:15
I would go with Another manager from your 2nd job
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 20:32
perfectexamscore wrote:
I would go with Another manager from your 2nd job

Unfortunately I can't do that. My job would be in jeopardy if anyone else but my current manager knew I was planning to leave.
Re: 3rd Rec for HBS - Ugly Situation - Advice Needed   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2008, 20:32