Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
Dear Sir/madam,

Thanks for the service that you have been extending to students at large. Shall be thankful if you could evaluate my profile.

Work Ex- 4.5 years at one of the worlds top 4 Steel industry in India in a Strategy related role.
GMAT - 690 ( Q 47 , V 38 )
CGPA - My univ uses the Percentage system. My Average is 68%.

Work Profile -
2010 Dec to 2012 October - Was working in the steel plant at the manufacturing unit as an Electrical Automation Engineer.
2012 Oct to Present - Working as Technical Assistant to the top most level executive at the company . Have been associated with the top level management and work on various areas including that of strategy and operations.

Extra Curricular -
1. An active Rotarian . Have been the secretary of the local Rotary Club and awarded with the Best Secretary in the zone award.
2. A Paul Haris Fellow of the Rotary Foundation.
3. Have organised various blood donation camps and other social activities at rural level.
4. Winner of the Squash Tournaments at the company for the consecutive two years.
5. Represented the state once in a National Level Squash Tournament.
6. Have headed the cultural committee while at college and have organised national level student events.
7. An environment Champion at work place. Its a title given to those who have contributed towards the environment conservation.

I shall be applying for Fall 2015 admits and shall be completing 4.5 Years of work ex by then. The B-schools that I have shortlisted as of now are
1.University of Texas, Austin - McCombs School of Business
2.University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School
3.Indiana University -Kelley School of Business
4.Carnegie Mellon University - Tepper School of Business
5.Emory University -Goizueta Business School

please advice me as to are these universities within my reach or not. Also,do you advice that I retake the GMAT?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: 4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 20:37
Expert's post
Hey mbabullet,

Thanks for reaching out to me. As an Indian applicant, you are going to want to retake the GMAT. As a nation/people, you guys are pretty good when it comes to acing the GMAT. So you have to keep up with the Jones' and the Patel's and get a score in the low 700's.

As far as evaluating your candidacy - can you give me a little more information on your post-MBA short and long-term goals?
I'll cut and paste a blurb here that I post for anyone who does not give me clear goals. I hope its not too didactic!

As you know, the MBA is an education that will allow you to go from where you are today, to where you want to be in the future. It does this by providing you the skills, experience and relationships necessary for you to do so. This being said, I need to know about your background, as well as your future goals. You have provided me some baseline information about where you are today. However, in order for me to provide you with an assessment of what schools you may want to consider applying to, I need to know what your future goals are – both short and long-term. Please provide me this information and I will be glad to provide you some direction.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

mbabullet wrote:
Dear Sir/madam,

Thanks for the service that you have been extending to students at large. Shall be thankful if you could evaluate my profile.

Work Ex- 4.5 years at one of the worlds top 4 Steel industry in India in a Strategy related role.
GMAT - 690 ( Q 47 , V 38 )
CGPA - My univ uses the Percentage system. My Average is 68%.

Work Profile -
2010 Dec to 2012 October - Was working in the steel plant at the manufacturing unit as an Electrical Automation Engineer.
2012 Oct to Present - Working as Technical Assistant to the top most level executive at the company . Have been associated with the top level management and work on various areas including that of strategy and operations.

Extra Curricular -
1. An active Rotarian . Have been the secretary of the local Rotary Club and awarded with the Best Secretary in the zone award.
2. A Paul Haris Fellow of the Rotary Foundation.
3. Have organised various blood donation camps and other social activities at rural level.
4. Winner of the Squash Tournaments at the company for the consecutive two years.
5. Represented the state once in a National Level Squash Tournament.
6. Have headed the cultural committee while at college and have organised national level student events.
7. An environment Champion at work place. Its a title given to those who have contributed towards the environment conservation.

I shall be applying for Fall 2015 admits and shall be completing 4.5 Years of work ex by then. The B-schools that I have shortlisted as of now are
1.University of Texas, Austin - McCombs School of Business
2.University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School
3.Indiana University -Kelley School of Business
4.Carnegie Mellon University - Tepper School of Business
5.Emory University -Goizueta Business School

please advice me as to are these universities within my reach or not. Also,do you advice that I retake the GMAT?

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 22:18
Dear Paul Lanzillotti,

Thank you for the reply.

Background:
School Grades : 76 %
Undergrad GPA : 3.2 ( My Univ uses the Percentage System, my average being 68 % ).
Undergrad Major : Engineering - Electronics and Communications.
Working in one of the worlds largest integrated steel plant ( 10 Billion US$ in revenue ) in India since December,2010.
My extra curriculars, I have mentioned above

My Short term goals-
I am currently in an operational strategy role and very closely associated with the director of the company as his technical assistant. My short term goals would be joining a consultancy firm post MBA. I am keen on doing my MBA specialization in Strategy & Operations. I am also open to roles in operations post MBA.

My long term goals-
I am fascinated by the way my boss manages the firm. I look forward to be at the pyramid top of an organisation and implement my own ideas.

I am thankful for the help that you have extended to me.
Please let me know if i can answer any specific questions about my background.

Thanking you again.
regards.