Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: 4 apps, 4 dings what now? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sharmaanurag wrote:
More about me:
28 yo/Indian/Male/BTech IT
GMAT - 710 (Q49/V38)
WorkEx - 5+ year Analytics Consulting (1.5 year in London)
GPA - 6.1/10, by far the biggest red flag
Admission Consultant from one of the popular names involved

As hinted by the title of the post, during the latest mba application sessions I applied to Tuck, Duke, Darden and Ross and I have already been summarily rejected by 3 of those schools(Ross most likely to follow soon), without interview to boot. I plan give this MBA thing one more "the old college try" and would really like some help in figuring out where do i go from here.

1. Darden has indicated that there is going to be some time in June when i can get some feedback on the application. Do other schools on my list also extend open feedback?

2. With my GPA is it all possible to crack the top 15? I do not plan to go beyond that as the probability of getting my ROI out of it takes a sharp nose dive

3. I already plan to increase my GMAT but is 750+ going to make the critical difference?

4. I hope to get promoted in next few months so there should be further progress on my WorkEx front but would 29 be old from US bschool perspective?

5. Overall any other suggestions would be great...

Hey there,
So a few thoughts for you here my friend. First of all if you get four dings all it means is that you are going to B-school one year late. :) The question is which.

I don't know if you spoke with a consultant before applying, but in all honesty your application strategy was a bit tough.

With a non-IIT degree, a low GPA, and a GMAT that is low for an Indian applicant, as an Indian IT male, the schools you applied to are mostly simply out of range. So the first thing is to take a step back and reevaluate your profile (and yes a higher GMAT will ALWAYS help).

Step two is to have someone look at your application. It's also very possible that you didn't get the most out of your application, and that you have more potential.

And then step three is to come up with a more realistic set of goals applying to a wider range of schools for R1 next year.

So you WILL get into B-school, now is just the time to take a step back and figure out how.

Best of luck!!!
Jon
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
4 apps, 4 dings what now? [#permalink]
To Jon's point above, it's hard to hone in on actionable steps without reviewing your application. While Darden may give you feedback in June, other top programs likely won't be as willing. At first glance, yes, a boost in your GMAT score will help, but you want to couple that with an alternative transcript to show the AdComms that you're serious about what you plan to do inside the classroom.

I suggest having someone take an objective lens to assess your position and select the optimal set of schools for next year taking into account your story along with your short and long term goals after business school. Let us know if you'd like to chat about putting a plan together! Best of luck.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
1. Darden has indicated that there is going to be some time in June when i can get some feedback on the application. Do other schools on my list also extend open feedback?
MOST SCHOOLS WILL NOT

2. With my GPA is it all possible to crack the top 15? I do not plan to go beyond that as the probability of getting my ROI out of it takes a sharp nose dive
IT IS POSSIBLE BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO REASSESS YOUR FULL APPLICATION TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OVERALL YOUR PROFILE APPEARS OUT OF RANGE AND YOUR ESSAYS PROBABLY WERE NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THIS

3. I already plan to increase my GMAT but is 750+ going to make the critical difference?
YES YOUR GMAT IS LOW FOR YOU APPLICANT POOL SO THIS WILL CERTAINLY HELP
4. I hope to get promoted in next few months so there should be further progress on my WorkEx front but would 29 be old from US bschool perspective?
NO NOT TOO OLD

5. Overall any other suggestions would be great...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thank you all for the feedback. Time to get back to work !
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Glad it was useful! Our free resources might be of assistance during this process - also check out our point of view on what to do after a ding!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharmaanurag wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. Time to get back to work !

Tuck also gives a very detailed feedback.

I think a GMAT is definitely on the cards, and as you have rightly assessed, 750+ will help.

Feel free to write to us for giving you feedback on your applications.
GMAT Club Bot