Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 CR Qs: Please Explain Answers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

4 CR Qs: Please Explain Answers [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
These are all from CR1000.. Can you explain.

Qn 1:

In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers.
II. More government workers should be fired.
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees.
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only

Right Answer : A

I believe it should be B since I believe that III is an assumption that the author has. Can you explain.

Qn 2:
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.

Right Answer : C
I believe D since no. is better than percentages when determining accuracy for the entire population census. Can anybody give me a detailed explanation.

Qn 3:

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(B) If not B, then not C.
(C) If not D, then not A.
(D) If D, then E.
(E) If not A, then not D.

Right Answer is C. Can you explain.

Qn 4:

Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school and schoolwork won’t work. Take the program in West Virginia, for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses of kids who left school. The program failed miserably.
Anne: It’s true that the West Virginia program failed, but many schools have devised incentive programs that have been very successful in improving attendance and reducing discipline problems.
According to Anne, the weak point in Reva’s claim is that it
(A) fails to consider the possibility that the majority of potential dropouts in West Virginia do not have driving licenses
(B) doesn’t provide any exact figures for the dropout rate in West Virginia before and during the program
(C) ignores a substantial body of evidence showing that parents and employers have been using extrinsic incentives with positive results for years
(D) assumes that a positive incentive—a prize or a reward—will be no more effective than a negative incentive, like the revoking of a driving license
(E) is based on a single example, the incentive program in West Virginia, which may not be typical

Right Answer is E.
I believe it should be A since that is a loophole in Reva's argument. Can you explain.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Please Explain Answers [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 21:24
Posting answers with the questions doesnot offer challange to the people. So Participation in the forum is practice for the real gmat exam challange. It is also a healthy competition among the participants. Further, its a mutual cooperation among each other as well. So post seperately without OAs, which are to be posted later after reasonable discussions (5-10 posts).

Fasttrack wrote:

Qn 1:

In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only

I believe it should be B since I believe that III is an assumption that the author has. Can you explain.

Qn 2:
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.

I believe D since no. is better than percentages when determining accuracy for the entire population census. Can anybody give me a detailed explanation.

Qn 3:

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(D) If D, then E.

Qn 4:

Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school and schoolwork won’t work. Take the program in West Virginia, for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses of kids who left school. The program failed miserably.
Anne: It’s true that the West Virginia program failed, but many schools have devised incentive programs that have been very successful in improving attendance and reducing discipline problems.
(A) fails to consider the possibility that the majority of potential dropouts in West Virginia do not have driving licenses
(B) doesn’t provide any exact figures for the dropout rate in West Virginia before and during the program
(C) ignores a substantial body of evidence showing that parents and employers have been using extrinsic incentives with positive results for years
(D) assumes that a positive incentive—a prize or a reward—will be no more effective than a negative incentive, like the revoking of a driving license
(E) is based on a single example, the incentive program in West Virginia, which may not be typical

Right Answer is E.
I believe it should be A since that is a loophole in Reva's argument. Can you explain.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Please Explain Answers [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 08:34
ya ya ..i get your point,

but I am here to know why and I have some doubt on the answers.

lets just discuss it openly rather than having restrictions..

-Max
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Please Explain Answers [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 09:11
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Posting answers with the questions doesnot offer challange to the people. So Participation in the forum is practice for the real gmat exam challange. It is also a healthy competition among the participants. Further, its a mutual cooperation among each other as well. So post seperately without OAs, which are posted later after reasonable discussions (5-10 posts).

Fasttrack wrote:

Qn 1:

(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only

Qn 2:

Qn 3:

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
(A) If D, then A.
(D) If D, then E.

Qn 4:

Right Answer is E.

I concur.
Re: CR: Please Explain Answers   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2008, 09:11