Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 20:09
Folks,

I need some serious advise here. After months of preparation I scored a dismal 560 in MGMAT CAT 1 (Q 36 - V 31)

Preparation Materials

1. OG 13, OG V, OG Q
2. MGMAT - All Books
3. Powerscore CR
4. Verbal Online e-GMAT

I did the MGMAT books every problem twice now. Maintained an error log for OG 13 - Quant, solved all of them and revised the wrong problems. Still Quant was a major let down.

In Quant I noticed that in MGMAT CAT I saw problem types which I did not encounter before and it threw me off big time. I am thinking I have to start solving/reviewing only tough math questions to improve my score. I have GMAT Club Tests and I am thinking to do one test a day and do a comprehensive review for the next 10 days and see if it improves my score. Is that a good strategy?

If you give me a test on MGMAT material and OG I would not score this bad !!. I dont understand why my efforts did not translate to a atleast 680 score.

My test is in 15 days. I am targeting R2 application for part time MBA in Haas and UCLA.

Thanks for reading. Appreciate your reply!

Give Kudos if you want to say thanks :)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
HulkSmashGMAT wrote:
Folks,

I need some serious advise here. After months of preparation I scored a dismal 560 in MGMAT CAT 1 (Q 36 - V 31)

Preparation Materials

1. OG 13, OG V, OG Q
2. MGMAT - All Books
3. Powerscore CR
4. Verbal Online e-GMAT

I did the MGMAT books every problem twice now. Maintained an error log for OG 13 - Quant, solved all of them and revised the wrong problems. Still Quant was a major let down.

In Quant I noticed that in MGMAT CAT I saw problem types which I did not encounter before and it threw me off big time. I am thinking I have to start solving/reviewing only tough math questions to improve my score. I have GMAT Club Tests and I am thinking to do one test a day and do a comprehensive review for the next 10 days and see if it improves my score. Is that a good strategy?

If you give me a test on MGMAT material and OG I would not score this bad !!. I dont understand why my efforts did not translate to a atleast 680 score.

My test is in 15 days. I am targeting R2 application for part time MBA in Haas and UCLA.

Thanks for reading. Appreciate your reply!

Did you review that mock? Which topics are troubling you the most? You can do lots of quizes in gc club tests on that particular topic. Also review the theory.

Also dont miss out verbal review SC,CR theory and practice OG questions.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 15:07
prateekbhatt wrote:

Did you review that mock? Which topics are troubling you the most? You can do lots of quizes in gc club tests on that particular topic. Also review the theory.

Thanks I did review the mock and topics troubling most in Quant are FDP, Number Ppts and in Verbal are SC (idioms)| CR (Inference|Weaken|Assumption) and RC (Timing). Silly mistakes due to time pressure is an issue too. Also did all practice questions in OG and CR theory

Anyways here is the current situation.

I did GMATPrep today, took MGMAT last week mentioned in my earlier post and the result is the same.

GMATPrep 1 : 560 --Quant 38 | Verbal 29 | IR 3

Feel like crap now and my exam was on Monday 11/18 and now postponed to Jan 18th

GMAT Gurus and experts what do you advise i do in these 2 months?.

Thanks for reading my amazing situation :beatup

Give Kudos if you want to say thanks :)

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 06:57
HulkSmashGMAT wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:

Thanks I did review the mock and topics troubling most in Quant are FDP, Number Ppts and in Verbal are SC (idioms)| CR (Inference|Weaken|Assumption) and RC (Timing). Silly mistakes due to time pressure is an issue too. Also did all practice questions in OG and CR theory

Anyways here is the current situation.

I did GMATPrep today, took MGMAT last week mentioned in my earlier post and the result is the same.

GMATPrep 1 : 560 --Quant 38 | Verbal 29 | IR 3

Feel like crap now and my exam was on Monday 11/18 and now postponed to Jan 18th

GMAT Gurus and experts what do you advise i do in these 2 months?.

Thanks for reading my amazing situation :beatup

Since you have figured out your weakness, major part towards achieving your target score is done..Work on them, re read theory, practice questions from OG, GC club and test your self again when you cover those topics..

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 84

Re: 4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 00:29
I would suggest you to review your tests carefully and analyse why you got a particular question wrong.
If you feel that you are weak on basics, do them again.
If you feel that application of concepts is a problem, then practice is the only solution.

I am also planning to give the GMAT on around 22nd Jan, though haven't booked the date yet.

Best of luck for your GMAT. Do share your experience here.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Re: 4 months of preparation and 1st CAT is 560. Exam in 15 days   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2014, 00:29