Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 Weeks --Need Advice on improving the Speed in Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
4 Weeks --Need Advice on improving the Speed in Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 20:10
Hi guys,

I need serious advise on how to imporve speed in Verbal. Today I gave the power prep test and scored mere 560 (Q48,V22). VERBAL IS KILLING ME !!!! :( :( :( . I need serious advice on how to improve Verbal Speed.

I have noticed that my accuracey in Verbal has increased from my previous tests but there is not much improvement in Speed. In Todays test i was able to finish only 24 questions and rest of the question I had to blindly guess.

Following are the study material i have worked on
Prienceton
Kaplan
OG 11

After reading all these books I know most of the Verbal questions tricks, but for some reason I am not able to implement those in Test.

I have noticed that I am slow in all the three sections of Verbal (SC,RC,CR). So pls let me know if any of you are in same situation or know of some proven tachniques which i can use.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 20:30
Your quant score is great and 4 weeks is plenty of time........

What do you feel like your weak areas in Verbal are? Is it CR, RC or SC?

For me, I find that CR and RC are pretty time consuming so I try to make up the lost time in SC.

For SCs, after enough practice, couple glances at a question you'll be able to figure out what ETS is testing.

Try downloading this http://www.gmatter.biz/. It has the 1000 SCs, CRs, and RCs (the ones posted here are in Word), but in the computer format so you will get used to doing problems looking at the PC screen.

Practice it & learn from your mistakes. Note your errors and/or look up the questions via Search in this forum. Most of the questions have been posted already.

Good luck!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 21:33
TeHCM wrote:
Your quant score is great and 4 weeks is plenty of time........

What do you feel like your weak areas in Verbal are? Is it CR, RC or SC?

For me, I find that CR and RC are pretty time consuming so I try to make up the lost time in SC.

For SCs, after enough practice, couple glances at a question you'll be able to figure out what ETS is testing.

Try downloading this http://www.gmatter.biz/. It has the 1000 SCs, CRs, and RCs (the ones posted here are in Word), but in the computer format so you will get used to doing problems looking at the PC screen.

Practice it & learn from your mistakes. Note your errors and/or look up the questions via Search in this forum. Most of the questions have been posted already.

Good luck!

TeHCM,

thanks !!!

this software looks great....I am sure its going to help me as I can time my self also can keep the error log.

I think RC is my weak Area and I know the reason for that My reading speed is very slow. It takes me 5-6 minutes to read the complete passage and then comprehead it. Pls advise me if you know some tricks to improve the reading speed ...

Most of the books suggest "Active reading" but for some reasons its not working for me.....

I usually do very good in CR but again speed in not very good.

anyways now i think with this software i should be able to improve my speed. Thanks
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 21:44
CoolJonny, I am glad you like the software! :)

Here is a link to couple posts (including one asked by me) regarding RCs.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 775#151775

I know its cliche but I think with practice, you should find what strategy works for you. You could search and search for the strategies posted by 700+ takers, but if it doesn't work for you, it really isn't worth that much.

So for RC, I would suggest you take some time to figure out what works for you. For me, through practice, I have found that reading actively and taking notes work like a charm; somehow skimming just doesn't work. Also, I have found that as I'm taking notes, I am able to understand more because I need to know what I should be writing down. Does that make sense? Overtime, you learn to spot the key words, e.g. however, but...etc.. Creating a mental roadmap is also very important. Again, reading speed can also be improved with practice.

Also, I have to stress that taking time to read is not a problem at all. For me, it takes at least 4-5 min to read but since I read actively, I am able to answer the question quickly (usually < 1 min) and eliminate the choices easily (By POE). So the key here is not how long you read, but what you read/comprehended.

RCs were my nemesis but with practice, I am fairly confident with this section now. I only missed 1 RC question in the last CAT.

I'll always remember what HongHu said in one of the sticky; as you are reading the passage, try translating in your head and pretending you'll need to explain it to a 5 year old.

Also, the fact that you are not used to reading on PC screens may be a factor in your reading speed as well. So I would try going to Yahoo or CNN and read their daily news as fast as you can. Their words are pretty small so it should be good practice.

Hope this helps a little bit

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 11:13
TeHCM :kiss ....thanx a lot dude....after reading ur post ...i felt as if there is ray of hope for me to improve my RC skills :oops: ...I had lost hopes in between....coz the skimming strategy simply just doesn't work for me....but i feel if i just give a try ...by reading actively and taking notes.... I still got 5 weeks for my gmat....and I need hell lotta hard work to do in RC & CR :cry: .....

for CR wat do u suggest.????????????????????????

thanx a lot
all the best..

"Nothing is Impossible"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 12:50
It looks like timing in verbal section is the weekest area for all of us. I used PR 2006, PR verbal review, Kaplan 2006, Kaplan 800 and OG 11 for my first attempt and scored Q47 and V27.

I am using MGMAT's strategy for verbal for the second attempt. I hope it will make some difference. I am practicing their Diagramming technique and it is taking me more than 3 min to answer CR questions however my accuracy seems to have improved a lot. I have not tried MGMAT's strategy for SC yet. I heard great things about their strategy for SCs.

I am trying a different route to takle RC this time. I am working on my reading speed to be able to finish reading a 70 liner in 2 or 3 min. Hope it works. I can be more confident about this strategy only if i see improvement in my test scores.
8-)

MBADREAMER

[#permalink] 29 Dec 2005, 12:50