Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 23:50
Hi folks,

I have been preparing for GMAT since more than a month now and gave 5 practice CATs till now (2 GMAT preps + 3 800score) and my score has been in the range of 580-630. I did OG 12 full and Kaplan for only verbal.

I have my GMAT appointment scheduled after exactly one month from now. Please suggest ways to improve my score. My target b-school's median score is around 690.

My plan is -
1. To purchase MGMAT 6 tests. Will just keep analyzing my tests.
2. To take more & more free tests online. (This is because I realized im getting stressed out after ~25 questions of each section and thus, relatively poorer performance in last 10-15 questions)

Please share your thoughts about how i should go about it.

Thanks,
Giri
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 738 [1] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
MGMAT tests is a great idea. If you can consistently hit 700 in these tests, I think you will not have any problem hitting 690 in your GMAT.
700 means a raw score of about 86, which means 13 points more from your current score(This is as per GMAC's conversion matrix and an approximation, not a sure thing).
The question you should ask yourself is how much additional points you will draw from each section. So you can hit a 690 with Q46/V40 or Q48/V38 or Q43/V43.

Stamina will make a lot of difference, so try to get as much practice as you can, but more importantly its not just about repetition. You need to perfect your technique, which requires you to analyze your mistakes thoroughly.
The great thing about MGMAT is that it will pinpoint your proficiency in every area of a section so that you can develop that area more efficiently.

Best of luck! :-D

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:46
Hi,

I will suggest you to go through my post regarding the same@!
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Also, do go through Thursday's with Ron videos. (you cna find the link in my signature)

Good luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:48
Now how to improve Your Quant score

The places where you will probably be screwing up are
1. The timing
2. The one odd tough question which you get once you do 3-4 questions correct in a row
3. First 10 and Last 10 questions.(as they have more wieghtage then the remaining questions!)

Now, how to improve:

1. When you solve a question and you have already taken 2mins and you don't see yourself going anywhere in that question in next 1min. Then guess and move on! (its not necessary to get all questions correct to get a 50 or 51!)

2. Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

3. Regarding the individual topics:
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps.

4. Why grockit?
Because they have a timer for each and every question so it will help you improve your speed.
They have tricky questions which is what GMAT asks you!

5. General Advice
GMAT Quant is not tough - its tricky
Keep an eye on that then i guess you can help yourself out a bit.
Also, i read it somewhere that when you are doing good in Quant then you get either a probability or a PnC question. So if you get a question like that then its a plus for you!

6. Go to gmatclub and follow the discussions of the topics in which you are weak. Try to do the 700 level questions and try to follow the discussion which they have. It will help you in knowing how to think about the problem.

How to improve Verbal :-- Watch Thursday's with Ron
How to improve Quant :-- Register in grockit.com and practice, practice and practice!

Good Luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: 4 weeks to go for my GMAT - average performance : q40 , v33   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 00:48