Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 21:22
Hi. I've attempted several essays so far, and in 30 minutes time, I've noticed that I can get either 4 well developed paragraphs (inlcuding intro/conclusion) or 5 shorter paragraphs (inlcuding intro/conclusion). The ideal scenario is to get 5 well developed paragraphs but alas, that is "ideal" and may not happen come test time for me.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how GMAC scores essays so I was wondering which is usually better - 4 well developed paragaphs or 5 shorter ones. Specifically, during my testing, when I start writing the paragraphs for the body of my essay, I may not have enough time for the 3rd body paragraph. There are pros and cons with 2 well developed body paragraphs versus 3 shorter less developed body paragraphs:

Pro with 2 well developed body paragraphs:

- Each paragraph and example is more fleshed out and discussed in more depth

Con with with 2 well developed body paragraphs:

- 2 examples is a bit weak, compared to 3 examples.

Does anybody have any advice on what to choose? How would GMAC rate an essay with 4 well developed paragraphs versus one with 5 shorter paragraphs, all other things being equal?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2272

Kudos [?]: 8766 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 21:33
Expert's post
Naturally, I would say 5, but after a number of reports, I don't think it matters - everyone understands that you had 30 mins to write it.

Just in case - take a look at this guide: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Usually, 90% of test takers don't need to spend more than 1-2 days on preparing for AWA.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 27 Sep 2009, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
clarification
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 12:31
both my essays had 2 body paragraphs (4 total paragraphs), which were pretty decently developed. i managed to get a 6.0 on the AWA. i think you shouldnt try to push for that last body paragraph if it's going to be a weak paragraph, or if youre running low on time.

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 22:54
shadowsjc wrote:
both my essays had 2 body paragraphs (4 total paragraphs), which were pretty decently developed. i managed to get a 6.0 on the AWA. i think you shouldnt try to push for that last body paragraph if it's going to be a weak paragraph, or if youre running low on time.

Thanks shadowsjc! That feedback was valuable!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 11:25
Thats good to know thanks.
Also does it matter if you use good vocab or simple and clear sentences are good enough?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 20:28
if you already possess a good vocabulary that you use on a daily basis (either speaking or writing), then by all means use it on the gmat. the fact of the matter is, most people generally do not have a super-advanced vocabulary. in this case, you shouldn't "force" one on the AWA because it will lead to situations with awkward wording - or worse, totally incorrect or incoherent sentences.

my opinion is, to be safe - leave the fancy SAT words out of the AWA. stick to the very basic template, and make sure you minimize all grammatical and syntax errors. you're going to want your thesaurus for your application essays, not for the AWA.

GMAT Debrief

Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays?   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2009, 20:28