Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

40 points in 11 days?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 04:57
So my G-Day is on May 1...11 days left. I took GMATPrep test 2 today and scored 710(Q48,V38)....I need a 750....is it possible to achieve such an improvement in 11 days? Only last week I took a MGMAT CAT and scored 740(Q47,V45)....I was happy that I was finally nearing my target, but today's score is disheartening :( . I took a week long leave from office to prepare.........this whole week i have solved hundreds of questions and reviewed my notes and error logs...do u think this intensive training caused a burnout?

My test breakdown is as follows:
Q: 11 wrong, 2 not attempted. Timing has always been an issue for me in quant...havent been able to eliminate that yet. I just am not able to leave a hard problem....i always end up thinking....'maybe it only looks complex at the outset....maybe if i analyze it a bit more i'll get it"

V:11 wrong (6 SC, 3 CR, 2RC)........This is a shocking score....in the last three mgmat cats that i took I got 40,41 and 45. While even i dont feel i'm at a 45 level...I thought I could get about 42 easily. 6 SCs wrong! I'm reeling with shock! What can I do to improve SC in the limited time left? I have gone through MGMAT SC a 100 times , solved OG,OG verbal review, GMATPrep pack1...I dont know what else to do!

Anyone any suggestion ?
Thanks in advance!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: 40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 06:54
Review your mistake and try to conquer your weakness. As one of your CAT reaches 740, I think that it is possible for you to achieve 750 with luck. Anyway, try your best and good luck

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 09:07
Not answering problems can and will tank your score.
Review out timing strategy thread:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

and it seems SC is your achilles heel in verbal. Do you know what aspect of SC is keeping you down?

Your score in achievable, you need to knock out the timing problem and SC and I believe you are there.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: 40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 10:25
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I hope I can do it...

BTW can anyone suggest any thread/resource to study numerical-type comparisons in SC? (the kind that says...'6% increse over last year etc..." ) I ALWAYS get those questions wrong.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 13:09
upasanadatta wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I hope I can do it...

BTW can anyone suggest any thread/resource to study numerical-type comparisons in SC? (the kind that says...'6% increse over last year etc..." ) I ALWAYS get those questions wrong.

There's tons of posted questions in the SC forum. Just browse there and work out the problems, reading the explanations provided. Also check my the strategy thread in my sig for a tool that works on SC up to 600-650 problems (split/resplit)

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 297 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 40 points in 11 days? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Upasana, you are almost there, just few modifications here and there in last 10 days will fetch you the desired score.
For quant, Check out the detail review of the CATs you have taken till now, If you have been taking too long on few type of questions( Inequalities in my case), then it'll be better not to do the same mistake in ur next CATs and subsequently in ur actual CAT. Remember to sacrifice ur ego to get a good score ( a good article on the same by Stacey "In it to win it" in which she has addressed a similar issue check out here http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/12/ ... -to-win-it )
Also follow the template for timing( it's there on the mgmat forums) and try to keep some time in ur hand as you progress.( it's always good to move with a minute or two extra as doing so gives confidence and thus less stress)
Third, Do stick to only and only the official material.we all know hte importance of this point.
Last but not the least, Stay happy, calm and confident. Start visualising ur test day success. Keep pumping urself and Ur sincere hard work will get you the result.
Good luck and keep posting the progress

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: 40 points in 11 days?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2012, 07:28