Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

40 V in first mock test. Fluke?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:24
First of all I wanted to thank you guys of the community for putting up quality material and insight and making them available to everyone.

I started my prep on Semptember, 1st and this morning I took my first full length mock test (the GMATPrep one). I scored 680 (44 Q, 40 V) which is a good score for me since my plan is to take the test in the first half of December and my target score is 650 (although a 700+ would be ideal).

The quant raw score is a bit low but I'm not worried about it beacuse most of my mistakes were avoidable and with still a month or so to go I'm confident that I'll be able to improve it.

What worries me is the verbal score. I finished the section with 10 minutes on the clock and I expected a disaster but it turned out that I did very well, especially for a non native speaker like me.
My questions are: is it possible that I encountered a very easy and/or anomalous batch of verbal questions? Is it possible that my score is just a result of luck and therefore I'll probably have a major dropoff in verbal in the next mock test?

I'll take my next mock test (this time one of the Manhattan ones) next week, if my verbal score isn't likely to be a fluke I'll focus exclusively on quant.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 07:32
When considered with the fact that you finished before times, it is less likely to be a fluke.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 08:01
The GAMT prep tests are the best predictors of an actual GMAT score. So, your verbal score is probably pretty accurate. Your actual GMAT may vary a bit, but it probably won't by too much.

Either way, you have a great verbal score and are on your way to doing very well on the GMAT. Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 31

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 05:50
You could always take another test (from say MGMAT or Kaplan) to see where you stand (compare percentiles and not raw score)...

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 08:16
That's what I did last Monday. It was my first MGMAT CAT and I got a 690, verbal was a 39, 88th percentile (I was at 99% at question 36 but two ugly CR brought it down).
Seems like the first test was accurate, thanks for the input.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 31

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 08:21
Quote:
That's what I did last Monday. It was my first MGMAT CAT and I got a 690, verbal was a 39, 88th percentile (I was at 99% at question 36 but two ugly CR brought it down).
Seems like the first test was accurate, thanks for the input

It would be pretty safe to assume that you are good in verbal :-) , so i wouldnt worry about the verbal section for now. Just practice a few questions , go over the notes so you maintain your position in the verbal (and try to improve in areas where you feel you can). If you can get a 40-42 in Verbal, with a few months of hard studying in quant, there is a good chance you can go beyond 720-730 overall.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 08:34
I don't have months though, I need official results in the beginning of January so i scheduled the test for the 4th of December. Right now my plan is to concentrate my practice efforts on quant and maybe go through the CR bible since I struggle with very hard CR questions.

Anyway anthing above 650 is fine even if right now I'm targeting a score in the 700-710 range.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 31

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
oblivian wrote:
I don't have months though, I need official results in the beginning of January so i scheduled the test for the 4th of December. Right now my plan is to concentrate my practice efforts on quant and maybe go through the CR bible since I struggle with very hard CR questions.

Anyway anthing above 650 is fine even if right now I'm targeting a score in the 700-710 range.

You have 3 weeks , so i would suggest that you go over the MGMAT guides once ( a guide a day should be a good pace). Attempt the accompanying questions and concentrate on the last 1/3 PS and DS questions on the OG. You can always buy the MGMAT advanced quant for strategies for the 700+ questions, but i feel that the OG13 and the MGMAT Sets are the best source for 650 level problems along with the questions given in this forum.

If you are looking for 700-800 level questions, Legenddady has a collection that is well legendary :-) , and includes questions from MGMAT and GMAT PREP (exclusivly 700-800). I would give myself 1.5 weeks for review and 1.5 weeks for attempting questions.

I am quite sure, that with 3 solid weeks of practice you can score 700+...

Best of Luck!!

Re: 40 V in first mock test. Fluke?   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2012, 08:40