Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:00

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

400 on first cat exam manhattangmat = ( really down

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

400 on first cat exam manhattangmat = ( really down [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 19:40
I have been studying for 1 week with a total of 9-10 hours of studying and i took my first manhattan gmat class last saturday. My class ends july 7th, and i plan on taking the gmat july 27th. My goal is to score above 650, really hungry for a 700. I have been reading up on the gmat and after seeing in places that you dont generally score higher than 100-150 points more than from your first diagnostic test I was really dreading taking my first cat. And i scored a 400 =( not gonna lie im really really really down about it, i actually just stared at my screen score for about 45 minutes after i finished because i was fml. So guys im working full time now just started a job 9-6 m-f and i can dedicate about 8- 10 hours a week worth of studying. is my goal possible? im not one to quit and getting this 400 has really got me going right now. But is it possible to go from 400 cat to 650-700 on the gmat? if so what can i do to attain it. i have all 15 books that come with the manhattan course. i decided to join this forum because i literally know not one other person who is taking or has taken the gmat please some words of wisdom!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 400 on first cat exam manhattangmat = ( really down [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 06:25
gmatjediii wrote:
I have been studying for 1 week with a total of 9-10 hours of studying and i took my first manhattan gmat class last saturday. My class ends july 7th, and i plan on taking the gmat july 27th. My goal is to score above 650, really hungry for a 700. I have been reading up on the gmat and after seeing in places that you dont generally score higher than 100-150 points more than from your first diagnostic test I was really dreading taking my first cat. And i scored a 400 =( not gonna lie im really really really down about it, i actually just stared at my screen score for about 45 minutes after i finished because i was fml. So guys im working full time now just started a job 9-6 m-f and i can dedicate about 8- 10 hours a week worth of studying. is my goal possible? im not one to quit and getting this 400 has really got me going right now. But is it possible to go from 400 cat to 650-700 on the gmat? if so what can i do to attain it. i have all 15 books that come with the manhattan course. i decided to join this forum because i literally know not one other person who is taking or has taken the gmat please some words of wisdom!

Dear gmatjedii,

Dont be disheartened after just the first attempt, infact after any attempt. These diagnostic tests are in place to tell one his/her weaknesses so that one does not commit the same errors on the day it matters. There is always speculation surrounding the difficulty levels/ scoring patterns of all such tests wrt the actual GMAT. To beat this, I recommend that as a start you first take the mock GMAT test (1 of the 2 freely downloadable from gmat site). That is an exact replica, at a difficulty level, of the actual GMAT. Then I would recommend that you analyse the results hard to determine the weak sections and sub-sections. Then go about tackling them accordingly.

Inspite of your work schedule, there is adequate time for you to practice and improve in a scientific manner. Keep working on it and dont forget to analyse each test very thoroughly irrespective of the score. After all, as I said earlier, it is important for you to not repeat any of the mistakes on D-day!

All the best.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 400 on first cat exam manhattangmat = ( really down [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 07:11
I hope you are coping well now pal
Re: 400 on first cat exam manhattangmat = ( really down   [#permalink] 20 May 2012, 07:11