Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 04:27
Congrats for great achievement in GMAT as well as in Harvard scholarship !!!

Awesome and your Determination paid off !!!

I am also Indian and weak at RC but my SC and CR is fine now after practice... Can you pls suggest a strategy to blow GMAT without good hold at RC.

I afraid practicing RC and also seems that I am not improving at it :!: .. Share your experiences and Advise. :idea:

Thanks and Congrats again !!! :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 07:13
WOW.. that's called never giving up!! :D congrats!!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 20:00
Congrats Abhishek!!! I love stories like this... it's the ones about folks who barely study and score 750 that drives me nuts, lol.
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 05:26
Hello abhishek....great post....though i am exactly in the situation that you were in 2011. I have not quit and am not going to quit... i have already taken two attempts and preparing myself for the 3rd attempt where i hope and wish to tame the gmat... this post is an inspirational one so that it would keep my motivation up always...thanks mate..hope that i could somehow connect with you in FB or others....i will keep this post as a sheet that i should read often to keep me UP ..thanks

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 05:13
Dear Abhishek,

I just did my first practice exam to get an idea of where i stand and I got a 400!! But after reading your story; i have a feeling that anything is possible
if you practice hard enough. Maybe im delusional but theres no harm in trying is there.

Thanks a ton bud.

Regards,
Vid
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
I think somebody needs to make a point of bumping this post up to the top every month or two. It gets more amazing every time I read it.

Abhishek, you're unbelievably inspiring, and I hope that you're having a blast at HBS.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '15
GMAT Date: 04-08-2013
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 13:12
Very Inspiring , especially for a person like me who is in the middle of an unforced break in GMAT prep. Did you already post your admission story somewhere ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 14:34
You are an Indian engineer who doesn't have a 750+ GMAT and you got into HBS. That means you are just a stellar human being my friend, very inspirational and humongous congratulations for cracking the most competitive seat in the world.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 23:33
Hello !!!

Its quite a motivating post ....do share your details about Harvard admissions ....

quote="Abhishek.pitti"]Hi All, (sorry for the long post)

GMAT - 420-570-590-700 ; Admitted at Harvard Business School for class of 2014.

I wanted to share my two cents about my experience with GMAT and MBA application process. Before I start the saga, I wanted to thank all the leadership of Gmat Club, Alumni of this legendary forum, and active users for sharing all the information and support. Though I was never an active poster in the forum, I believe I made use of all resources GMATCLUB has to offer to my fullest of abilities. ;) I sincerely like to express my gratitude to all.

I read a quote by Einstein and I believe it applies to me rightly – It read, “It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer”.
I believe there are much better post here on the forum that will tell you the intricacies about how you can boost your score with conceptual knowledge, so I will not bore you with resources I used, exams I wrote etc etc… It’s all the same but I will talk about things I did, which kept me going through the thick and thins in the process. I would not necessarily recommend that you try this at home but I am sure some can relate and hopefully will believe that there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Long long ago, Year 2006:

I got fascinated by the thought of getting an MBA from a Top Business School. Learnt about an animal called GMAT and how big a pain in the a** it was. I put my first binder of GMAT material together. I soon forgot about it and started using that to be my scratch paper for other routine work. Status quo - Still graduating from school and had no job

Year 2007:

Ha! Got a job in a Business Jet Manufacturing company and guess what! I was still collecting material for GMAT from all resources I can get my hands on. I din even know what GMAT structure looked like but I kept collecting material that would say Gmat on it.

Year 2008:
Got Married! ;) GMAT was going no where so I decided on joining an online class that would get me into a discipline to study. I learnt that MGMAT was the best out there. I registered for the online class. I was asked to give a mock test to asses where I was, SO I followed the instructions and scored a CRUSHER! – 420 on the exam of MGMAT. I was told that MGMAT was +or – 30 point off the real exam and my hopes of getting a 700 where butchered. Thinking I wasted my money in even registering for the class, I continued… I finished the class and gave GMAT prep multiple time, only to fool myself and see 700+ scores on my practice exams …
Parallely, From this forum, I learnt about how much non-profit work was important for the MBA schools and I joined a Non-profit management association in my company in a committee officer role and actively pursued opportunities every where else - IMPORTANT STUFF.

Year 2009:
Early Jan. I gave my first official attempt on GMAT. Left 3 questions on verbal unanswered and scored a Q48 V21 AWA 6.0(Thanks to Chinese burned) - 570 and I was like really! I did a post exam review with MGMAT . I took a break for 2 months and figured I would give a good shot later that year. I would have never come back to do GMAT again if I would not have repeated the class of MGMAT for $300. I wasn’t learning anything new but I needed to do something to keep up my continuity so I created a group of people, who I can study with offline.
I gathered 6 people from the class and took up the role to host a meeting almost daily or weekly to talk about GMAT. I realized that a leadership role got me to do things I would never do – Organizing my study pattern, chewing a question until we know what are the lessons learnt, Be ahead of the group to bring insights, solve more questions , do more research etc etc… GMAT was no more an exam but an evening past time. Even if I did not study, I talked GMAT and MBA schools to keep up my motivation. Lesson learnt – You teach, you share information only to become the master of that subject. I am not native English speaker but I could see myself getting better at SCs.

I did this for an year, I was doing good at SCs, ignored quant, CR and RC were left to GOD! I read book and CR and RCs but I don believe I had any structure when it came to practice CR and RCs.

Year 2010:
Feb 2010, I gave my official GMAT again. I thought I did pretty well. I even had a RED BULL between the break.. Felt no lack of energy or time… I agreed to send my score to schools like Harvard and I was so ready to see my score. It blew my mind when I say a V29,Q43 AWA 5.5 – a 590. Tsunamis went through my brain and I lost hope in hardwork, prayers, and cursed GMAT for what it was. I came home..My friend (who scored 690) told me that may be I am not built for GMAT. My parents suggested to move on. I was close to believing that people who get 700+ on first attempt are super human and I was probably some kind of an outcast. I churned this fact for a month and told myself I would not give up. I have come so far, I know 85% of the stuff, If I give up now…I would waste all the effort, I would let myself down, I will prove everybody, who did not believe in me, right. I told myself that the last stretch is the most difficult and I will not give up when I am so close to the finish line.
One by one, people from my group disappeared and I was left with 1 guy – Abishek Boinpally, whom I met regularly to share my GMAT virtual enthusiasm with. Only good thing happened this year was I got promoted at work.

Year 2011:
The leap for me was beyond imagination, I needed a jump from 590 to 700, A 110 points, which was an indicator I should quit GMAT. Beginning of 2011, I knew RC and CR were my weakness in GMAT. I evaluated my exam simulations, I reviewed all error logs, I created voice memos to revise formulae and cheat sheets, I created a template that I will follow in the exam for my scratch work, and the day before the exam, I followed the advice to relax, meditate, and play in the rain ;). I went to the exam with Redbull and a sandwich (Realizing that RedBull just doesn’t help by itself). I thought I bombed my quant, I felt great about Verbal. I did not select any schools to send my scores too and I din read any screens and stopped clicking the NEXT button only when I reached the Score page. I looked at the score and kept thinking that it is all over and couldn’t imagine how life will be without
GMAT – I saw V38 Q47 – 700.

Seems a lot to go through for the same GMAT that some individuals crack in the first attempt with 760s

Hats off to all of you who did it!

My qualitative analysis of GMAT is that you need to learn the content and then learn to write the test, things such as timing, techniques to increase comprehension, shortcuts, how to use scratch paper etc…

I apologize, never thought this would become a real epic and I will put people to sleep. I wanted it to be a one page long piece. I would continue the admission into Harvard in the next post if there is any interest.

Thanks for staying with me if you are still reading!

Best,
Abhishek[/quote]
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:09
GMATNinja wrote:
I think somebody needs to make a point of bumping this post up to the top every month or two. It gets more amazing every time I read it.

Abhishek, you're unbelievably inspiring, and I hope that you're having a blast at HBS.

GMATNinja,
Did Abhishek post his Harvard story somewhere else?Would love to hear that.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think Abhishek posted a separate admissions story, but he did post his profile on GMAT Club once: profile-evaluation-gmat-116100.html

And this one is even better: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gea ... t6510.html. GMAT Club member voodoochild sent me this link a few months ago, and it's one of my favorite forum interactions ever. Abhishek posted his profile, some jerk (supposedly an admissions consultant) told him that he had no hope, and then Abhishek got into HBS. Justice!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 09:26
GMATNinja wrote:
I don't think Abhishek posted a separate admissions story, but he did post his profile on GMAT Club once: profile-evaluation-gmat-116100.html

And this one is even better: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gea ... t6510.html. GMAT Club member voodoochild sent me this link a few months ago, and it's one of my favorite forum interactions ever. Abhishek posted his profile, some jerk (supposedly an admissions consultant) told him that he had no hope, and then Abhishek got into HBS. Justice!

Wow, I just read the Manhattan post and laughed out loud at work. Truly inspirational story, and yeah these admissions consultants can be a pain. Mine kept telling me I need to include back ups in the rank 20-40 range. I didn't either.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
I love it that Abhishek remembered the post and gave a fitting reply after he got admitted.Epic :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 19:47
Ah! great story... Congrats dude...

I wish i could do same some day....
Coz right now, i'm on same boat as u were...
I lost GMAT thrice :(

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-31-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 02:11
Great debrief Abhishek .... I am very much inspired by ur post as I am facing similar situation GMAT1: 610, GMAT2: 620 :( ...... hope, I will be able to reach that magic number 700+ third time ....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 04:34
It happens thus.....not a myth

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:24
Hi.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for a great story. your story is trully a great one, since it shows that scoring low at first attempt doesn't mean 700+ is not reachable, and not giving up pays well. Scored 470 first time, just took Gmat second time, scored 590, and really needed a story like yours to keep me going on with my preparation and trying again with a confidence that 700 is possible ( that missing 110 points is not a good reason to give up yet) and Harvard is possible (my goal for the last 2 years is HBS and no other).
I think u can see, how happy I would be to read ur second post about application process :) I WOULD GREATLY APPRICIATE if u share ur expirience with application to HBS and tips and anything u have to share on this matter. Thank you ahead !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 19:37
GMATNinja wrote:

Wowie wow, now THAT is called justice! Simply amazing Abishek.

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
Tin: Phan
WE: Business Development (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 06:48
Amazing!!! A great story to learn.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 02:45
No body will give you in writing except admission's office at HBS that you cannot get in Harvard and the only way to find out is to APPLY with a SOUND application.

particularly this line really gives confidence to believe in myself , motivation to prepare and strength to stay in ground with hope ... great thought ..:)
Re: 420-570-590-700-Harvard Business School   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 02:45