Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

470, 490 AND 460 Need Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

470, 490 AND 460 Need Help! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 12:17
Hi guys, I have tried three times. I just got 460. Actually went down from 490 to 460. Got 35Q and 17V. Really depressed. Need some really good suggessions. Main reason was no control on TV, Internet and Social activities. I am afraid I have ADD too. I think I can really get 700+ if I control myself. Other thing, my English is really-2 bad. Even I don't understand SC explanations. Helpppp :cry:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 12:30
If you have roommates and they don't allow you to study in peace...go somewhere else. Go to the library or a park. Anyplace that is quiet and you can focus is better than being bothered by others. ADD isn't going to keep you from learning the materials, if you got through school you can get through the GMAT. Just have to find a spot where your distractions are limitted. Personally I never understood how anyone can get extra time to take the GMAT by saying they have a learning disability or ADD. Honestly, having ADD in the real world doesn't mean your boss is going to give you unlimitted time to get a project done. I was on ADD meds in high school and horribly unfocused, ya the pills helped but I never took extra time for tests or anything.

I hate to be a negative but if you have taken it 3 times already and never broke 500, make sure if you do take it and do a lot better that you apply to schools that only want to see your best score. Some schools want all of them and others only care about your top. If a school sees three scores <500 then they probably will hold it against you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 12:38
Hi "riverripper" thanks for quick reply, you said "If a school sees three scores <500 then they probably will hold it against you.". Do you mean even if I get more than 500 in my next attempt, still I can get some problem because of my past low score history? Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 12:44
Before commenting on your case or answering any questions I have to ask you:

- How long were the gaps between each of the three tests ?

- What have you done preparing for each test, especially after the first trial ?

- Are you in college or working full-time ?

- Are you a native English speaker ?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 12:57
hi "riverripper" thanks again. Here is the answers of your questions:

How long were the gaps between each of the three tests ?

First attempt in Aug 2006. Then, a gap of 4 months. Started preparing for test again in Jan 2007. 2nd attempt on Mar 19, 2007. Then a gap of 5-6 weeks without continue study everday. Then another attempt Today.
:cry:

My main problem has always been speed. When I attempted first time, only 10 minutes left when I had at least 17 questions pending in the verbal section. Same story with quantitative section. Today, actually I finished Quantitative sections one minute earlier. But verbal section - same problem.

- What have you done preparing for each test, especially after the first trial ?
After the first take, I started working on OG 11. Revised all sections twice. Study some material from Kaplan Verbal.

- Are you in college or working full-time ?
No, I am part time works in a GYM.

- Are you a native English speaker
No, I am from a small village of India. But there, I was a very good student.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 14:45
I would think if a school sees all your previous scores they will take those in to account. I have read interviews with admins that have said they give the greatest weight to the latest score but take a look at all your scores. Some schools though only require you to give your highest score...which would really benefit you if you do a great deal better than your three previous attempts.

I hate to tell you but being Indian seems to work against you when applying to MBA programs, they are overall the most competitive group. Taking a look around this site, BW, and admissions411. There are a lot of very impressive profiles with people who have mid to high 700s on their GMATs from IIT and IIM. Not trying to discourage you but spend really evaluate where you are going to apply because you are in probably the most competitve demographic for MBA programs.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 23:26
xl,
it is probably time for you to be a bit harsher on yourself. GMAT is the a test of commitment, consistency and character. Getting from where you are now to 600+ wil require exactly that.
But, on a positive note, if you are here trying to help yourself, you will get what you need.
Good luck!
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 06:03
Bad news: you come from by far the most competitive pool of applicants for MBA progams in the US. You need to work on your English by reading more materials written in English. Of course you realize no matter how you improve your quant, in order to reach a 600+ score you need to improve your verbal skills dramatically.

Time yourself when you practice with problems. The key is not getting the correct answer; the key to get the correct answer in a short period of time.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 13:54
Thanks guys for your suggestions and comments. I find it very difficult to read long passages on computer monitor. This also reduce my reading speed . I have no problem reading printed material. Any advice? :shock:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 07:51
xl wrote:
Thanks guys for your suggestions and comments. I find it very difficult to read long passages on computer monitor. This also reduce my reading speed . I have no problem reading printed material. Any advice? :shock:

Yeah, start reading complex online materials (maybe the WSJ or Businessweek) for several hours everyday. Seriously, you need to build up your speed and comprehension. Jumping from a 460 to a 600 won't require too much extra energy. Anything beyond that will take a monumental effort. Good luck!
  [#permalink] 18 May 2007, 07:51

470, 490 AND 460 Need Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap