Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2008, 10:31
Hi everybody,
Last week, i scored 470 in gmatPrep (Qt:43 and Verbal:18) but i tried yesterday with powerprep and i scored 540(QT:45 and Verbal:20)
I don't know wether these two CAT tests use the same scoring method?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 08:01
please give me your advices
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Whether its GMAT Prep or Power Prep, your score is within 470-540 range. If you see your Q and V breakout, the scores are pretty much the same.

The lower the GMAT score, the volatility is greater and higher the GMAT score, volatility is smaller - meaning that as your GMAT score rises (i.e. - 700 range), it is much more difficult for your score to vary. That's why it is so much more difficult to raise your GMAT score in 700 range - compared to GMAT score in 500 and 600 ranges.

My recommendation is that you focus on verbal section to raise your score. Many GMAT takers that score low on verbal are usually international students.

To raise CR - use Powerscore CR Bible. It is a long read but it covers every topic.

To raise SC - use MGMAT SC guide. It is simply the best.

To raise RC - try using GRE RC guides...they are very difficult and very good in raising your RC scores.

Try to master easy questions first before attacking more difficult problems. This is because GMAT CAT will give you easier questions first and once you get those right consistently, it will show you more difficult questions. If you constantly practice with 700 level questions, you won't raise your score because you will consistently get 500 and 600 level questions wrong.

Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 12:19
Thanks for your advice.
I'm an inetrnational student I got another CAT from GMATprep and got 590 (QT:49 and verbal:22) I'm very happy with my new score.
but i need some improvement in verbal.
I stdied SC from manhattan and still have problem with.
same for CR and RC i used manhattan and OG.
I have just 15 days to bring up my score to 650.
Is it possible?

thank you
Kind regards,
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 12:35
Samarg wrote:
Thanks for your advice.
I'm an inetrnational student I got another CAT from GMATprep and got 590 (QT:49 and verbal:22) I'm very happy with my new score.
but i need some improvement in verbal.
I stdied SC from manhattan and still have problem with.
same for CR and RC i used manhattan and OG.
I have just 15 days to bring up my score to 650.
Is it possible?

thank you
Kind regards,

Your verbal score is low therefore, if you can correct your verbal fundamentals, you can easily bring it up to mid 30's.

Even though you are studying with the right materials, perhaps you are having trouble understanding the fundamentals in the book. That's why your verbal score isn't improving. Think of it this way....if I scored 22 before and I went back to the books to review my fundamentals - then retook the exam. But your verbal score still was around low 20's. It means that you are still answering verbal questions the same way you answered them the first time.

Another way of saying it is that you are still following the same logic when choosing answers during the exam. You got to do practice exams in OG and review answer explanations for both correct and wrong answers. See if you got the right answer with same explanation the book is giving you. If not, then you need to learn why.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 13:00
thanks a lot
I will try to follow your advices.
I wish I score better next time.
Thank you
Kind regards,
Intern
Intern
Schools: London Bussiness School

Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 10:55
Hi
I have given my GMAT prep and got 600 Q 41 V 30, can anybody give advice about improving my score and how much preparation is needed for getting a high GMAT score, I am targeting for 750

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 14:21
I have no idea about materials to use in order to improve your score above 600.
I'm targeted for 620-650 :-D
good luck
Re: 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!!   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2009, 14:21