Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 14:42
What the hell should I do?

Should I cancel and reschedule Wednesdays GMAT (the 17th), or should I simply accept that this is my GMAT score, take the exam, and then send out apps.
The next possible testing dates in my area are limited to: December 2nd, 9th, 16th, 22nd, and 30th.

If my understanding is correct: it takes 20 days from the day you take the GMAT before official scores are available to send to schools. If admissions reviews an application package only when 100% of material is available, then waiting until December means my application will remain incomplete (and thus not reviewed) since my GMAT score wont be available until late January...and this is beyond the deadline for some schools. I'd rather apply with a poor score than not apply at all.

As for my score: I'll settle for getting as close to 600 as possible. Is it reasonable to make a 100+ point gain (470-to-570) in two weeks time?

P.S. And before you ask: the answer is No, I am not targeting or planning on applying to top tier schools.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 15:11
well it is certainly possible to raise the score if you fix your problems which seems to be on both quant and verbal. understand the basics is a big step forward... quant prob easier to improve than other parts. not sure about delaying the test and having it on time for schools though... but if you cancel/delay now i dont think you will get any money back so might as well take it i suppose?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 15:22
shaselai wrote:
not sure about delaying the test and having it on time for schools though... but if you cancel/delay now i dont think you will get any money back so might as well take it i suppose?

Isn't there is a 31 day ban before you can re-take the GMAT? So, for instance, if I take the GMAT this Wednesday, then I must wait until late December for a chance to re-take; then wait an ADDITIONAL 20 odd days for the scores to be available to be sent to schools.... pushing into late January.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 15:34
yeah that is true... if you feel you have only one shot and this is not your time to blow then postpone it till you are ready. Also, schools *might* not require official gmat scores when you submit application but needs the official score when you are admitted so that cuts the time down a little since you just need to wait for your AWA... but you need to check your schools to see what they want...

Manager
Manager

Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 16:36
Damned if I do, damned if I don't....

If I postpone until early December, I could improve my score (considering it's so low, even a minor improvement could "make all the difference") but in so doing it places me far behind in the application cycle....maybe too far.

Whereas, if I accept a poor score and take the exam Wednesday, I'd be able to apply...but am I just hurting myself?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 17:16
You have to give them 7 days notice to pay the less expensive rescheduling fee. Any less than 7 days and you pay a full $250 to reschedule it.

Your time is limited so DON'T focus on ANY hard questions. Focus ONLY on getting the questions that you KNOW how to do correct, every single time, with no careless errors.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1414 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 22:51
Most schools look at self reported scores. I'm not sure if it applies to your schools but HBS and GSB for instance look at your self reported score and as long as you took the test before the application deadline they are okay.

That said, two weeks is a lot of time. Did you figure out where you are going wrong? Review number properties and sentence correction and actively read RC and you'll probably do hella lot better. Just my two cents

Good luck!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 06:51
yeah but he still needs to hear back from score for AWA so there's probably at least 1 week+ waiting time for that to be done...

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 07:04
He only has one day left.

Just relax and do the best you can - try to have fun.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Re: 470 (Q26 V30), GMAT in two days. What should I do?   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2010, 07:04