Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 02:06
Well, i started preparing the exam in the last days of January. With the Manhhatan guides and also the OG13. I have always been very bad at studying and taking exams. I dont consider myself very good ad maths or specially fast solving problems, so my progress was very slow at first, getting a lot of silly mistakes on easy questions. But as i was reading the guides i developed a bit of knowledge on how to think when you are facing some kind of problems. Also i discovered the forum and started practicing a lot with the questions posted here, learning a lot from some guys like Bunuel and other famous people around here.

Every time i made a mistake i wrote it apart on paper so i could review how to solve correctly the questions i was getting wrong. 2 weeks before the exam i took a gmat prep1 and scored 560. I felt i was going through the good path and maybe i could aim for a 600 the day of the exam. I continued practicing and reviewing my mistakes for the big day.

Exam day: i felt i was doing good during the quant part, my timing was okey and i didnt rush until the last 2 questions. During the verbal part i managed the time very badly, spending too much time on the RC part, and the last fifteen questions or so i did them with a lot of pressure because i felt i was running out of time. When i saw the 480 score i felt dissapointed, but i knew i dindnt manage well the timing on the verbal part and also made several mistakes on the quant part.

I will take another chance on the Gmat by the end of June, i dont aim any particular score, since i have not decided to apply to any particular school jet. I just want to get better day by day, gain confidence, improve my test taking hability and hope that one day i could reach a score im satisfied with. So, what should i do?

Im going to start with the basics. With the PS/DS problems from OG13, start doing them again to see what are the problem types im worst. Also with the SC os verbal, read the explanations deeply, to begin to understand 'how the gmat thinks', and also keep reading the Manhattan Gmat guides in those parts that im performing poorly. Any advices from anybody around here will be helpful. Thanks gmat Club, for emotional and academic support.

PS: sorry for my bad English, i wrote this on a rush.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 185 [1] , given: 66

Re: 480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Kyuss, I agree with sarahrs that you may want to consider looking into a course or a tutor. Your results aren't bad but it sounds like there are still some core concepts you're not grasping. It also sounds like RC is messing you up, either because you're taking too much time reading or taking too much time answering the questions. Can you please elaborate on this point for me? If it's too long reading the questions, maybe change up your strategy a little to spend less time on the initial reading and more time analyzing what the structure of the passage is all about (first paragraph intro of topic, second paragraph one weakness of topic, third paragraph another weakness, etc)

You can probably achieve a higher score with just the practice material, but you'd likely see faster results with a little help. It all depends on your priorities and of course the amount you want to invest in this endeavour.

In any event, look over where you made your mistakes and take steps to correct this for exam two and you'll progressively feel more confident and sure of yourself.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 02:59
Hi!

Don't worry about it, you'll have another or even a few more chances.

Did you finish all of the questions on the exam? I mean in time, or were the last few unanswered?
Did you take any other tests besides the prep ones?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V23

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: 480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 03:14
i finished both parts, but i had to rush a lot on verbal. i know there is a penalty for not finishing.
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 08:40
Hey,
I struggled to make progress from just book learning.

Would recommend trying an online learning course and it might be worthwhile getting a private tutor for a couple of sessions to help on anything you are struggling.

Good luck with test two

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: 480 (Q32-V23) Bit dissapointed but... (Looking for advice)   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2013, 08:40