Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

490 - Extremely dissapointed; need encouragement and advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

490 - Extremely dissapointed; need encouragement and advice [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 10:13
Hi All,

After 2 months of diligent preparation and a 9 week session with Manhattan GMAT, I took my test yesterday and got an abysmal score of 490.

I had taken the PowerPrep over the weekend and scored a 590 and felt confident since that was my highest score to date on all the practice test.

On test day I was very anxious, even though I tried to relax as much as possible. On thing I noticed was time was a factor for me during the test.

On the quantitative section I came across many problems that I could have solved, but was forced to guess since I didn't want to leave any questions unanswered. Even when I hurried along I barely had any time remaining by the end of both the math and verbal sections.

As for my MBA, I am very keen on doing a part-time program at NYU, but not sure on what score I should be content with. I would be happy with anything over 600.

My take away from the test is that I need to get faster at problem solving and improve my verba. Because I've always had a phobia about math, I focused more on the quantitative section than verbal.

Needless to say I am quite disheartend given the time and energy I have put into my efforts.

I have scheduled to take the test again in a month, and would appreciate any advice / insight you all could provide.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 10:25
Hi spysonic, sorry to hear about your experience. I believe all you need is to practice under timed conditions. Do as many CATs as you can before stepping in that exam room again. As I like to say, if you don't do CATs like Kaplan, PR or PP, it will be like running a marathon without any formal preparation.

How about you join the next math challenge? It starts tomorrow may 26 and ends on may 30. http://www.gmatclub.com/challenge/
Take note that the challenges are tougher than what you could get on the GMAT quant but it will help you work under timed conditions. If you can ace the challenge, the GMAT math should be a breeze for you. Remember to spend about half the time you do writing a test to analyze it. It is very important not to simply get the final answer and be ecstatic or cry: analyze it. The next thing you should do for now is go through the different stickies in this forum and read the advices given by the different members. You will find it very helpful and will perhaps be inspired to reach your target score. Good luck.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 10:35
Thanks Paul. Much appreciate your input and advice. The Challenge seems awesome, pity I didn't spend as much time on this forum as I should have earlier.

With one month to go, I really need to get in all the practice I can. My weekdays are pretty shot w.r.t. study time, so weekends would be the time I can practice. Any suggestions on how I should approach my study plan based on my limitation would be greatly appreciated.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 19:22
Don't get discouraged by your score after two months of studying. Many people study for a long time, even six month of longer, and still may or may not get a score that they expected. It may be helpful if you could spend some time reading the math forum here. Sometimes it is very important to find the right way to think about a problem. Speed of solving a problem is not really doing your calculations faster, it's more about how you approach a question. If you don't need to take GMAT in a very short of time period, perhaps you should schedule your next test a little later than one month, considering the time you could spend on preparing. The score more or less reflects how well you prepares for the test. You may get a better result if you give yourself a little more time.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2005, 14:44
I would just call this one a bad day and take a completely fresh approach to studying for the exam. Work on pacing for the Quant section so that time constraints are less of an issue.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 08:52
Spy,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but its not the end of the world, you can always take it again. FYI, I had a friend who took the test and scored a dismal 420 the first time around. He was totally discouraged and thought about not going to grad school, but he got his self together and hit the books and scored a 680 the second time around.

I now am studying for the GMAT and I was thinking about taking that Manhattan GMAT course, how do you feel about that is it worth the money?

-Dashun

Your tomorrow just might be today

-Me

[#permalink] 01 Jun 2005, 08:52