Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

490(Q38,V20)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 16:39
I gave GMAT today.Not that I was expecting a 770 today,but,I write this with a very heavy heart,when I say Math was really tough.I have never seen a Math Section loaded with 4 Probablity questions,One Probablity with DS,One Parabola and Hyperbola Question(I was like GMAT seriously),Circles mixed with Coordinate Geometry,squares upto 63 and bunch of other number properties.I mean that easy GMAT style question never met the eye.
I always scored Q46 and above in all my tests,including GMATPrep,but it was incredibly shameful to score a Q38 today.
I have a hunch that GMAC has started selective testing for Indian Students by making harder than average Math Exam and also presenting them problems like "If Vasundhara takes 3 hrs to travel from Delhi to Agra" which happened with me today.I gave the exam in NYC.
It was frustrating not to have sufficient time to solve Quant section,leave alone English!
English I know I have to improve with V21,but Quant just broke my heart.
Please suggest the best resource for non native speaker for SC and RC.Time management is an issue also.I was at 31 when clock showed 5 mins. are left.I have used MGMAT and Powerscore for SC,but my success rate is 25% or less.
Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 20:38
Wait..you got hyperbola/parabola question on the GMAT ? :shock:

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 20:41
arkle wrote:
I have a hunch that GMAC has started selective testing for Indian Students by making harder than average Math Exam and also presenting them problems like "If Vasundhara takes 3 hrs to travel from Delhi to Agra" which happened with me today.I gave the exam in NYC.

I seriously doubt if GMAC would be doing that.

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 20:49
for sc just practice as much of question u can. may be from 1000sc.
Manager
Manager

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 07:27
Thanks for replying guys...Yes the Parabola and Hyperbola question was there.It might be for future GMATs but my frustration was regarding the time it consumed.Even if takes 2 mins more than the avg. time,it is a hit on other easy questions.
I would suggest practicing GMAT Club tests and mixing them with OG-12..Something like 50 OG questions in 1 hr.

I am looking to work on 1000SC and apply the same concept to improve on my timing in SC And RC....

CR was really close.I got boldface as my 5th question where Options were:-

1.The first sentence supports an intermediate conclusion,which eventually becomes main conclusion and second sentence supports the main conclusion.

2.The first sentence is the conclusion and second sentence makes the case for the main conclusion by being intermediate conclusion.

Under pressure,it becomes really difficult to select between the two.Also, I am still not sure abt the fine line b/w intermediate and main conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 21:20
arkle wrote:
Thanks for replying guys...Yes the Parabola and Hyperbola question was there.It might be for future GMATs but my frustration was regarding the time it consumed.Even if takes 2 mins more than the avg. time,it is a hit on other easy questions.
I would suggest practicing GMAT Club tests and mixing them with OG-12..Something like 50 OG questions in 1 hr.

I am looking to work on 1000SC and apply the same concept to improve on my timing in SC And RC....

CR was really close.I got boldface as my 5th question where Options were:-

1.The first sentence supports an intermediate conclusion,which eventually becomes main conclusion and second sentence supports the main conclusion.

2.The first sentence is the conclusion and second sentence makes the case for the main conclusion by being intermediate conclusion.

Under pressure,it becomes really difficult to select between the two.Also, I am still not sure abt the fine line b/w intermediate and main conclusion.

Sorry about your agony but from your post I get the impression that you need to change your approach to tackle the GMAT questions. Do not think of equations in tertms parabola, hyperbola, ellips or Eiffel tower :) switch off the part of your brain that unnecessarily complicates things. There are a number of GMAT questions that present an equation with x square and y square but all they ask is the points of intersection on axis, maximum y or x at max y, or simple manipluation of the equation. At no point you need to know any parabola or hyperbola stuff to solve the problem. If you really thought it was out of the league question, just guess and do not waste time because there will not be many of such types in an exam.

On CR, it is important to practise finding the main conclusion. You need to put all the things in logial sequence. The main conclusion is the last thing in that logical sequence and is supported by the intermediate conclusion. The main conclusion can be very simple and short statement without any identifier word. Powerscore CR bible has a few such examples.

For example - "I saw a lot of parabola questions in GMAT exam. The GMAT exam must have changed. The GMAT OG quant review does not mention parabola as one of topics tested; therefore, my GMAT exam questions were not from the OG syllabus." The first boldface is the main conclusion and the second boldface is the intermediate conclusion.
Manager
Manager

Re: 490(Q38,V20) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:13
Thanks for the response.I will keep that in mind!
Re: 490(Q38,V20)   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2012, 15:13

490(Q38,V20)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap