Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

490 to 600

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
490 to 600 [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 16:30
Hello everyone,

I finished taking the test today and scored a 600 (Q46 V27). I know this score isn't spectacular for those of you who score 700+ but overall, I am happy because I improved from my first attempt which was a 490. You can read about my first attempt here.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/frustrated-beyond-belief-126340.html.

Practice Tests:
MGMAT CAT 1 660 (Q45 V35)
New GMAT Prep 1 610 (Q45 V28)
New GMAT Prep 2 530 (Q36 V27)
GMATClub M01 22/37
GMATClub M02 22/37

My scores keep going on a downward spiral for some reason.

I will be taking the exam again after I take a month off. I'm hoping the third time can push my score to at least a Q47 V35. I really need to improve my verbal. I focused a lot of time on SC so my SC improved a lot. On all the practice tests, I scored well on SC (usually getting around 2-3 wrong out of 15 questions). On the OG and Verbal Review, I also scored well for SC. CR/RC on the other hand is a different story. I get more than half of the CR wrong and I can't seem to improve regardless of the strategies I've learned. I am usually stuck between two answer choices after POE and I always end up choosing the wrong answer. I have both the MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR Bible so I will be focusing more time and energy to overcome my CR weakness. Anyway, if anyone would like to provide some pointers that can help me with my future preparation, I'm all ears.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 490 to 600 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 18:36
Expert's post
Very nice improvement! It seems that you have things under control and understand how to study for the test.

If CR is your weak spots, then you need to read those guidebooks over and over again. Lots and lots of practice questions will also help; there's a huge supply on the forums, the OG, and LSAT test booklets. And answer as many CR questions as possible on the forums. Make sure to fully explain your answer choices too.

For RC, I used the Powerscore RC Bible. It's expensive, big, and boring, but I recommend the book in extreme circumstances. The most helpful thing for RC is to practice with many RC passages. LSAT is great for that, so make sure to incorporate those in your studies.

I guess the main thing is to keep your mind on verbal all the time. When you're totally sick of verbal, read some GMAT Fiction. When you go to the bathroom, bring a GMAT book with you. If you have time to watch TV or play on the computer, immediately stop and get your books or practice questions out. You don't want to exhaust yourself to insanity, of course, but push yourself and stay active with verbal.

Right now, though, you have the right idea to take some time off and relax. You earned it! Besides, you don't want to risk GMAT burnout.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 490 to 600 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 09:18
bmillan01 wrote:
Very nice improvement! It seems that you have things under control and understand how to study for the test.

If CR is your weak spots, then you need to read those guidebooks over and over again. Lots and lots of practice questions will also help; there's a huge supply on the forums, the OG, and LSAT test booklets. And answer as many CR questions as possible on the forums. Make sure to fully explain your answer choices too.

For RC, I used the Powerscore RC Bible. It's expensive, big, and boring, but I recommend the book in extreme circumstances. The most helpful thing for RC is to practice with many RC passages. LSAT is great for that, so make sure to incorporate those in your studies.

I guess the main thing is to keep your mind on verbal all the time. When you're totally sick of verbal, read some GMAT Fiction. When you go to the bathroom, bring a GMAT book with you. If you have time to watch TV or play on the computer, immediately stop and get your books or practice questions out. You don't want to exhaust yourself to insanity, of course, but push yourself and stay active with verbal.

Right now, though, you have the right idea to take some time off and relax. You earned it! Besides, you don't want to risk GMAT burnout.

Thanks bmillan01, I thought no one was going to reply to my post~
I tried answering numerous CR questions on the forums tagged 600-below and 600-700, but I don’t really like this approach because I felt like a majority of the CR questions posted online are from the GMAT Prep program. I know it will skew my practice tests later down the road, and looking for postings tagged from other sources are kind of hard to find. I’ll be dropping by my local book store to see if it carries the new 5th edition MGMAT CR book and see if it’s worth buying.
For RC, I don’t think I’ll do anything drastic other than to read often. I actually finished a few books from the GMAT Fiction list while I was studying for verbal, but I don’t think it really helped me all that much. Regardless, I’m pretty excited to see how much I’ll be able to improve my verbal score…hopefully the improvement will motivate me to aim higher.
Re: 490 to 600   [#permalink] 09 May 2012, 09:18