Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice. [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 23:14
Hi,

Here is my gmat journey : -

1. Aug, 10 - 370 Q25 V16 writing 4
2. Nov, 10 - 510 Q39 V21 writing 4.5
3. Dec, 10 - 460 Q35 V19 writing 4.5
4. Mar, 11 - 480 Q42 V16 writing 4.5

English is not my first language. Having 12 years work experience, I decide to go for an MBA.

I started taking English tests (IELTS 6.5) (TOEFL ibt 89) in Aug last year. I use IELTS and 2nd gmat result for applying a MBA school in Canada Nov last year, but up to now I still got nothing (rej/offer/ad) from the business school. Last month the MBA office did email reply me that the associate director will be going to phone me for an interview, one month gone I have not received the phone interview.

I understand that my gmat score is very low, especially verbal score is a disaster. I have to retake the test again. However, before the 5th attempt, I have to figure out why I keep fail on verbal battle.

Already quitted my job for full time studying few months ago.

I study:
- OG12, OG 11, and both Q and V supplements at least 2 times
- kaplan course materials and quizzes (took kaplan course in Jan for both Q and V after 3rd attempt)
- mgmat number properties, SC
- powerscore CR
- veritas RC (RC IS MY SUPER WEAKNESS)
- mgmat 6 cat tests twice. Score from 520 to 600 with V24+
- gmat prep score from 460 to 640 with V24+

Still not losing my heart, I know I will beat it one day. On the other hand, at the moment I am exhausted to all gmat materials. I totally have no idea how to improve my verbal score anymore. For the last test I thought I did this session so well coz questions were super easy (not a good sign though). Would any one please give me advice / opinion.

Thank you

s

(P.S. thanks for bunuel's notes in Q)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice. [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 23:49
I'm sorry to hear that man, what has been your weak areas in practice tests? Also, have you tried the gmatclub tests?

Give yourself a break and really hone in on why you got certain questions wrong. Keep your head up man.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice. [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 03:55
Expert's post
It's definitely time to take a long break from any GMAT preparation. You have been studying intensely for a long period of time and the results have so far disappointed you. Exhaustion has probably set in, so forging ahead with the GMAT is simply not an option at this stage. In fact, a couple of months off is not out of the question.

You verbal scores imply that there is a fundamental problem with the language itself; unfortunately, returning to the guidebooks will not solve that. So perhaps it's best to focus on English for a few months in order to strengthen your language skills. Enroll in a class and watch lots of English-language shows and movies. After that, look into improving your TOEFL score.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Indian Schools Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice. [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 19:16
Couldn't agree more with bmillan01. I think that it's time for you to take a break and rejuvenate yourself. Also, while you take a break, you can do few things that will help you in GMAT preparation later. For example, you can start reading material close to WSJ, economist,etc. But again, don't do it with the learning attitude. Do it to make yourself feel better. While it will relex your mind and soul, it will considerably help you with the GMAT later. Believe me, I've been through the same situation and able to get my desired score only on the fourth attempt.

Best of luck. If you need any help, do free to post here. We all are here to help each other.

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Re: 4th attempt crash again... don't lose heart but need advice.   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 19:16