Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

5 attempts still less than 600 :'(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 03:20
5 attempt so far still less than 600
450 (Q 39, V 14)
530 (Q 36, V 27)
500 (Q 42, V 19)
560 (Q 47, V 21)
540 (Q 44, V 20)

It's the verbal always <25, but the Quant > 40. Frustrating as I usually score >= 30 on Verbal mocks!

I would really appreciate any advice as I am really lost. I have been using MGMAT, OG, VR, QR materials, and Gmatprepnow videos for SC.

I have even take one season with a pro instructor who noted that I am not so far from my target score.

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 07:40
Expert's post
Hi Saifa,

Hope you are well - sorry to hear that you haven't reached your target yet. What is your goal? Have you used the GMAT Paper Tests and Question Pack 1? What have been your scores on the GMAT Prep and Exam Pack 1?

Happy Studies,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 10:55
Hi HerrGrau,

I used the MGMAT exams and GMAT exam 1,2,3,4. However as I have used the MGMAT many times, this time I only used GMAT prep for my latest mocks and scored 570, 600, 570, 600. my last GMAT take was 560 with Q 47 , V 21. I need around 650, and the school will accept anything above 600.

So I know I was weak in Verbal but in my mocks I get 600 twice and I was comfortable that I can hit the 30 marks in Verbal.

Now I am considering the GMAT question bank and additional paper exams pack.

No I have to retake the exam in July and it will be my last chance as I have a conditional offer for September this year.

Thanks

HerrGrau wrote:
Hi Saifa,

Hope you are well - sorry to hear that you haven't reached your target yet. What is your goal? Have you used the GMAT Paper Tests and Question Pack 1? What have been your scores on the GMAT Prep and Exam Pack 1?

Happy Studies,

A.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Saifa,

Thanks for the additional information. A few things that you might consider:

1. To improve GMAT verbal you are probably going to have to improve your reading. One way to do that is to read a challenging article every day. The Economist is a great option. It is critical to practice being an active reader. To process the information as you are reading. Here is an article on using the economist to improve GMAT reading comprehension. You might also consider picking a few novels to read over the next couple of months in addition to the economist.

2. Find a method for each type of verbal question type and practice that method over and over again until it becomes second nature.

3. Be spending more time reviewing your wrong answers than doing new question sets. Spend as much time as you need to understand why a correct answer is correct. This is critical.

4. Your Quant may be at the level where you can start using GMAT Club Quant CATs. These are very challenging but excellent practice for those who want to get their GMAT Quant to the next level. Don't worry about your scores on these. Focus on the learning. This practice will be frustrating at first but have patience:)

If you retake in July you have about 2 months to do this. I think you can get this done. It's going to be important to get organized so make a GMAT schedule and make sure to leave time to relax. You've been doing this for a while so try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It will take a little bit of time to develop the proper confidence in your GMAT verbal. Again, take your time working through the material. The important thing is that you really understand the logic of each question.

Some additional resources that you can use down the stretch:

Question Pack 1, GMAT Paper Tests, and the GMAT Prep Verbal Question Bank (this is here on GMAT Club). I would also review OG 13. Good luck!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Studies,

A.

PS: One more thing that has helped other ESL students - for the first half of your preparation do all of your work with the help of a dictionary

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 03:52
Hi HerrGrau

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Just wanted to ask few questions:

1 - Do you think I should use the GMAT prep tests ( Free and Pack 1) since I have undertake them many times?
2- Should I also be using the MGMAT tests as I undertook them more than 6 times?
3- Should I undertake full exam during my preparation or I better focus more on the Verbal section at this stage?
4- Do you think taking any online courses will benefit me at this stage?

I did develop a strategy for answering each question type but I admit that I may have not completely stick to it during the exam, specially the RC and CR sections.

I hope I can get better understanding this time for each section of the Verbal with the help of the recommended materials.

Again, many thanks for your inputs.

Saifa

HerrGrau wrote:
Hi Saifa,

Thanks for the additional information. A few things that you might consider:

1. To improve GMAT verbal you are probably going to have to improve your reading. One way to do that is to read a challenging article every day. The Economist is a great option. It is critical to practice being an active reader. To process the information as you are reading. Here is an article on using the economist to improve GMAT reading comprehension. You might also consider picking a few novels to read over the next couple of months in addition to the economist.

2. Find a method for each type of verbal question type and practice that method over and over again until it becomes second nature.

3. Be spending more time reviewing your wrong answers than doing new question sets. Spend as much time as you need to understand why a correct answer is correct. This is critical.

4. Your Quant may be at the level where you can start using GMAT Club Quant CATs. These are very challenging but excellent practice for those who want to get their GMAT Quant to the next level. Don't worry about your scores on these. Focus on the learning. This practice will be frustrating at first but have patience:)

If you retake in July you have about 2 months to do this. I think you can get this done. It's going to be important to get organized so make a GMAT schedule and make sure to leave time to relax. You've been doing this for a while so try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It will take a little bit of time to develop the proper confidence in your GMAT verbal. Again, take your time working through the material. The important thing is that you really understand the logic of each question.

Some additional resources that you can use down the stretch:

Question Pack 1, GMAT Paper Tests, and the GMAT Prep Verbal Question Bank (this is here on GMAT Club). I would also review OG 13. Good luck!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Studies,

A.

PS: One more thing that has helped other ESL students - for the first half of your preparation do all of your work with the help of a dictionary
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Saifa,

Lots of very good questions - I should have time to respond tonight after teaching. Have a great day!

Happy Studies,

A.

PS: It might be helpful for other people to Add Kudos to each of these posts because there is a lot of information here that could be helpful other people on GMAT Club in a similar situation.

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 19:46
Expert's post
1 - Do you think I should use the GMAT prep tests ( Free and Pack 1) since I have undertake them many times?
Unless you are 100% certain of every question on these tests, there is still more that you can learn. You can let the Exam Pack rest for a month and then take it again once you have become less familiar with it. For the free tests you can work through the entire question bank. There is a post on GMAT Club with the GMAT Prep Question Bank Attached. The verbal question bank is very useful.

2- Should I also be using the MGMAT tests as I undertook them more than 6 times?
You can let these rest a bit and start with GMAT Club. Once you get back to MGMAT you will have become less familiar with the questions. I would just take the Quant sections. In general I would stick with working on official GMAT verbal questions.

3- Should I undertake full exam during my preparation or I better focus more on the Verbal section at this stage?
I think it would help you to take a solid month to focus on the pieces and then go back to working on full exams.

This is very tough for me to judge. I wish I had more insight on this for you.

Happy Studies,

A.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 12:05
Hi HerrGrau,

Thanks for your advice, I shall plan my study accordingly and I am hopeful to get the required score this time.

Many thanks again.

Saifa

HerrGrau wrote:
Unless you are 100% certain of every question on these tests, there is still more that you can learn. You can let the Exam Pack rest for a month and then take it again once you have become less familiar with it. For the free tests you can work through the entire question bank. There is a post on GMAT Club with the GMAT Prep Question Bank Attached. The verbal question bank is very useful.

You can let these rest a bit and start with GMAT Club. Once you get back to MGMAT you will have become less familiar with the questions. I would just take the Quant sections. In general I would stick with working on official GMAT verbal questions.

I think it would help you to take a solid month to focus on the pieces and then go back to working on full exams.

This is very tough for me to judge. I wish I had more insight on this for you.

Happy Studies,

A.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'( [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 06:18
Have you tried working with a private tutor? It seems like you need someone to help you focus your studying, since you've already taken the test several times. I was in a somewhat similar situation, but with quant instead of verbal. I scored well on quant on my mock tests, but then didn't do as well on the official test. After taking the test twice, I worked with a private tutor and my quant score significantly improved on my third and final attempt.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- What questions to ask admissions officers
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Re: 5 attempts still less than 600 :'(   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2014, 06:18