Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [1] , given: 185

5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:52) correct 38% (00:43) wrong based on 126 sessions
This question is the last question in the series of "meaning based problems". Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to our[highlight]OG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction[/highlight]. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content.

Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division, its future success hinges on how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.
    A. how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s
    B. its close relationship with Apple
    C. on the relationship between its products and Apple’s
    D. how closely it is related to Apple
    E. how closely its products are related to Apple’s

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by egmat on 04 Jan 2012, 14:00, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 6

Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
This question is the last question in the series of "meaning based problems". Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to our[highlight]OG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction[/highlight]. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content.

Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division, its future success hinges on how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.

We will provide the official answer in a couple of hrs.

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html

A is wrong on stylistic reason: 'of Apple's' is a wrong way of showing possession. The option would have been correct had it been 'those of Apple'
B is grammatically correct, but changes the meaning from products to relationship between the companies.
c. change in meaning. Rather than 'close relationship', this option seems to suggest the relationship between the products.
D changes the meaning. Rather than "relating" the products, this option is relating the companies. Anyways, 'it' doesn't have a clear antecedent.
E. Leaves this option choice. This is correct as to Apple's seems to suggest the comparison is between the products of two companies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 04:06
someone 79, you are right, forgot that we can use only one possessive case , A uses two. hence A is wrong. I keep on forgetting these. Thank you.

+1 for E
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [0], given: 185

Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 14:00
Expert's post
@someone79 - Congratulations. You win the OG Verbal review Solutions access for 1 month. Accurate and to the point analysis! Send me a PM with your e-GMAT user id information so that we can upgrade your account.

I had one small doubt in your analysis. Why did you mention in Choice D explanation that there is pronoun ambiguity.

Quote:
egmat wrote:

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents a disparity or a contrast. It states a fact that Logitech credits its success to the innovation in its product division. Then it states that the future success of Logitech depends on some other factor – how closely its products are related to Apple’s products.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

1 Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division,
2 its future success hinges on
o how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.

All SV pairs are accounted for and agree in number. The verb tenses have been used appropriately. The comparison is not stated correctly. Logitech’s products have been compared to products of Apple’s products. Note that “Apple’s” implies “Apple’s products”. “those” also logically refer to “products”. This results in distortion of the intended comparison. Either “Apple’s” should be made “Apple” or “those” should be removed.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice completely changes the intended meaning. This choice states that the success depends on relationship between the two companies. This is different from the intended meaning – how closely aligned the products of two companies are.

Choice C – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice removes the contextually important word – “closely”. Now the choice states that the success hinges on the “relationship” between the products instead of the “extent of close relation” between the products.

Choice D – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice completely distorts the intended meaning since it no longer talks about the close alignment of the products of the two companies. It talks about the close alignment of the companies themselves.

Choice E – Correct Choice.

TAKE AWAYS

1. It is very important to understand the intended meaning of the sentence and then select the choice that communicates that intended meaning in grammatically correct manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 17:20
Great! Thanks for the access. I will send you my id soon. I was about to purchase the egmat as it looks as very nice material for non-native speakers.

Why do I think it is misplaced in choice 'D'?
=====================================
There are 3 nouns in the adverb clause: release, innovation, and division. Release seems more appropriate, but it isn't logical. Apart from this, any of the above nouns can be the antecedent. "Logitech's" isn't a noun that can be an antecedent due to its being in genetive form.

Thanks for posting such nice questions!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 15:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: 5 - Exercise Sentence 1 - LOGITECH SUCCESS   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2013, 15:44