Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 17:45
whiplash2411 wrote:
Mod Edit: Removed specifics about actual GMAT question.

So today I took the GMAT at 12pm cst. Arrived at the test center 10 minutes early, calm and not anxious. No one was testing when I arrived, and there was not a wait to sign in. I read the disclaimer about cheating, the notepad, etc... A few moments later I was testing. AWA seemed to be going very well. Little if any mental energy was use to write the papers. Then there was Quan & Verbal.

Quan:
Returning from the break I lost 2 minutes due to taking too much time... The quant section seemed to be going very well. Some of the questions were like the MGMAT books. Nothing seemed overly challenging. So I felt fairly confident about how I was doing. I believe I may have guessed 3-6 questions overall. Thought my quant score was over 40 but less than 50. The unofficial was a 38 with a 50th percentile ranking. Seeing those numbers angered me, as a math student/teacher I know that my real ranking in math is much higher than this 50th percentile ranking computed from this standardized test. Just absolutely angers me that I would rank in the 50th percentile and I've seen much more difficult math than whats on this test.

Verbal:
After returning from the break for verbal I felt good and confident, ready to kill verbal. I didnt lose any time since I arrived with 1 minute remaining on the timer. I thought the verbal section was going well but being that I'm not great at verbal my feelings about how I'm doing is much less accurate. Probably guessed the last 3-5 questions since my timing was a little behind. I thought my verbal score was around 30 but it was a 22 with a 26th percentile ranking.

So with these numbers, 500 overall Q-38 V-22, I'm definitely not getting into the Alabama's MSF program. So there's no point in applying. Im thinking of taking a Knewton course and seeing if it helps get me over the 650 hump in 30 days. Any ideas of how to drastically improve SC in 30 days? I haven't felt this angered about a test in a while, but Im going to give it a couple of days and dive back in. I know Im capable of a better score overall, and particularly in math given my math background. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 18:44
Just curious, but what were you scoring on your practice exams?
Intern
Intern

Re: 500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 18:56
1. GMATPrep1: 490, Q(29) V(27) before kaplan test
2. Kaplan: 550, Q(34) V(33) 12/11/10
3. MGMAT1: 520, Q(41) V(21) 12/22/10
4. MGMAT2: 510, Q(32) V(28) 12/26/11
5. Princeton Review: 470, Q(34) V(22) 4/3/11
6. MGMAT3: 550, Q(37) V(29) 4/11/11
7. MGMAT4: 580, Q(44) V(26) 4/20/11
Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 19:15
Well it's pretty clear you need to improve your verbal. What tools did you use to prepare for the verbal?
Intern
Intern

Re: 500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 20:02
For Verbal I have the Verbal Review 2nd Edition, OG11, Kaplan Verbal Wb, MGMAT SC, RC, and CR, & OG11. I got through MGMAT SC & CR and their corresponding questions in the Verbal Review. I'm thinking I need to review the SC guide & all problems. Practice more RC and harder PS & DS questions. Is there more that I can do to improve my fundamental understanding in Verbal?
Re: 500 GMAT Today and my utter frustration with Verbal...   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2011, 20:02