Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Dhaka
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Thunderbird '16
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 22:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I wanted to obtain GMAT score 650+( verbal-32 and quant-48). But I scored -500 (v-16 and q-45) on 23/01/11. After one and half year of study I merely scored only 530. I studied a lot for improving verbal. I covered Mgmat(8 books), GP verbal, OG-11, 12, and gmatclub posts. I was so much confident that i thought I will get a decent score in my second attempt. So I dared to be confident to get at least 650 on second attempt. But the nightmare was come again. I got 530(v-18 and q-46) on 5/8/12. My quant score indicates that I have the ability to score 48+ in quant because i got q45+ in both exams. My quant part was completed 15 minutes earlier, causing 23 minutes break. After this break my mental ability seemed to be fresh and energetic. I picked each verbal choice reading well, i understood all the topics, RC was very well, CR was very clear to me, but at the end the worst result appeared on the screen. I read MGMAT SC guides several times. But In the exam I got many unfamiliar patterns in SC. I got 650-690 in new GP 1 and 2. 690 in mgmat -1( v-34 and q-50). I used OG -12 & 13. I solved around 500 verbal questions.
I read every explanation from MGMAT forum.

• What should I do now?
• How can I improve in Verbal?
• How can I overcome my problems in verbal?

I am thinking to write the Gmat again after two months. Is it possible to score around 32+ in two months? Please give suggestions in this regard. Thanks everyone for reading my posts.

A broken heart non-native……..

plz show me how can i overcome this verbal 16-18 boundary?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [2] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

First of all sit and relax! have faith and condifence on urself!
Read this post of mine (this will boost you a bit!)
570-to-700-my-gmat-journey-133461.html

Now, how to do the gmat preparation.
Its always important to have good hold in Basics. So i will suggest you to read the theory once againa nd try to understand as much as you can!
Check out this post:
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Also,
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

How to improve Verbal :-- Watch Thursday's with Ron
How to improve Quant :-- Register in grockit.com and practice, practice and practice!

Good luck for your rpeperation!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 04:25
I second nktdotgupta on what he said about thursdays with Ron: A great material available free of cost, A must do, IMO.
Besides, you can try enrolling in the e-gmat SC course. I've heard great guns about it. You may check out it's free concepts in level 1.
Even I was bruised after my first attempt so i decided to go for the long haul, reading Wall street journal, NYT and gmatfiction. Doing so helps i feel.
For quant you can check out my signatures.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 602 [0], given: 5

Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 19:25
Expert's post
It looks like you've tried other guide books and they haven't helped. It's time you change your strategy. If others have been able to improve with your background (nearly perfect quant but ok verbal) you can too. How do you know the weakness is all coming from SC? You don't have problems in the other areas of verbal?

A video-based approach will do more for you than buying another study guide. It appears you're hitting a plateau and you need another strategy. The advice the others have given are all fine, good resources to read through and skim. But as you've said and as you've noticed, you've already done all the OG12 and 13 questions. Doing more questions is not really going to help you. You need to focus on accuracy. Then speed. Identifying question types is the first part to improving accuracy. Why? Because the next time you come across a question, you can spot what type of question it is and then be able to pinpoint where all the booby traps are. Once you do that, you can cut down your answer time from 2 min down to 1 sec hopefully.

Change your approach. You can improve your score.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
underscoregmat wrote:
I wanted to obtain GMAT score 650+( verbal-32 and quant-48). But I scored -500 (v-16 and q-45) on 23/01/11. After one and half year of study I merely scored only 530. I studied a lot for improving verbal. I covered Mgmat(8 books), GP verbal, OG-11, 12, and gmatclub posts. I was so much confident that i thought I will get a decent score in my second attempt. So I dared to be confident to get at least 650 on second attempt. But the nightmare was come again. I got 530(v-18 and q-46) on 5/8/12. My quant score indicates that I have the ability to score 48+ in quant because i got q45+ in both exams. My quant part was completed 15 minutes earlier, causing 23 minutes break. After this break my mental ability seemed to be fresh and energetic. I picked each verbal choice reading well, i understood all the topics, RC was very well, CR was very clear to me, but at the end the worst result appeared on the screen. I read MGMAT SC guides several times. But In the exam I got many unfamiliar patterns in SC. I got 650-690 in new GP 1 and 2. 690 in mgmat -1( v-34 and q-50). I used OG -12 & 13. I solved around 500 verbal questions.

I think you need to stop studying for a month or two and just read in English. I don't mean to be rude, but your writing indicates only moderate proficiency in English. If you focus on reading you will have a better ear for sentence correction and you will be better equipped to understand, analyze, and answer critical reasoning and reading comprehension questions.

Your so-so writing skills make me wonder if you truly are understanding what you're reading. Perhaps even joining a book club of sorts to discuss short stories. You can learn strategies once you have this stuff down!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 28

Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
IMHO, you should improve your general English competence first before prepping for the GMAT. Although GMAT is not a test of English proficiency, you still need to make sure you are capable of dealing with standard written English. So, if you have time, I suggest that you brush up English grammar, then start reading from Newsweek, NYTimes to more sophisticated ones such as The Economist, Scientific American. Once your English ability is improved, start studying for the GMAT.

There can be Miracles when you believe

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7282 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 09:51
Expert's post
I think you studied too long... 18 months is way too long of a time.
Spend 2-3 months max and do a very intense review starting from the basics. All your work should be focused on the Verbal!

See this too: gmat fiction

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 22:38
I agree
with bb & windofchange. 18 months is way too long for an exam like GMAT.
I think you should relax and take a break first before thinking of a retest.

First sit down and analyse what went wrong. Since your verbal score needs improvement, focus on verbal for the next 2 months.

Second, since you have read all MGMAT's books any OG12 & 13, change your strategy this time. May be you are not able to retain what you are reading.
Third, start reading newspapers, journals etc daily to improve your understanding of English. There is a free basic grammar book available on gmatclub, download it & start reading from the scratch.
For CR- you can refer Powerscore & for SC- you can refer Aristotle. These books are typically easy to understand as compared to MGMAT's.
Fourth, keep practising different types of questions available at this forum once you finish each topic of Aristotle & Powerscore.

I think if you follow this strategy with full dedication & focus you will definitely see improvement in your verbal.
Don't lose heart. .Just Focus. .!.!
Good Luck. .!.!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 04:52
Hi,

I really think that you are taking the problem from the wrong perspective.
You have a good quant and should be smart enough to handle verbal, the problem must be a language problem, but you spend so long to prepare the verbal rather than improving your english.
I believe you should put your priority there, if you spend as much time, energy and money at improving your english rather than craming on the verbal, you should be able to double that score.
Intern
Intern

Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 06:22
Thanks a lot for responding my sufferings. I got

AWA-5.5
IR-5
TOTAL-530(46/18)
I took 20 days rest for refreshing. i am now ready and fresh for 3rd attempt within 1 and half months.
so i am urging effective way(s) for overcoming my verbal sufferings.
Intern
Intern

Want one month exam plan for verbal 18 to 30+ [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 06:31
I attempted two times and got 500 and 530- (awa-5.5/IR- 5/ Q-46/ V-18).
I want to appear for 3rd attempt in sept-12. so plz help in verbal.

plz show some clues that will be helpful for raising my verbal score 30+

what should i study now?
i used
og -11/12/13
testpaper 1 to 30
and gp questions

what else i need to do or how i need to handle this barrier ?

Bangladesh.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts.. [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 03:19
Re: My Gmat Disaster: From 500 to 530 in 18 months of efforts..   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 03:19