Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

510 first attemt to 640 second attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

510 first attemt to 640 second attempt [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 18:03
Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you guys the results of my second attempt on GMAT.
I scored 640 (Q43 V35). My first attempt two months ago was 510 (Q31 V28).

I know the score is less than stellar but I'm still quite happy and relieved to have improved my score significantly. I expected a higher score in Verbal since my practice scores ranged from 40-47. My total practice scores ranged from 680-750. For me, the actual Verbal section was much harder than the practice tests I completed.

Nonetheless, I'm happy I improved my score :) When I was waiting for my score to come up, my thought was "please let it be higher than 510." And praise God it was :)

Wanted to get your opinion on:
1. Should I retake?
I want to move on to applications in time for Jan deadlines. My work is also very demanding and requires some travel so I can't study much on weekdays. Heavy workload and endless studying have also made me sick on and off.
2. Some of my target schools (top 15-30) have 80% GMAT ranges from 640-760. Will my 640 score suffice?
3. One of my top schools has an 80% range of 660-up so my score falls below this. Do I still have a good chance?
I believe the other parts of my application are competitive. I feel that GMAT is my biggest hurdle. I'm also a South Asian female.

Hope you guys can give feedback.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 7

Re: 510 first attemt to 640 second attempt [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 19:50
Congratulations! That's a fine improvement and you should feel proud about your achievement! Regarding your questions, I would answer your query with more questions:

1. Are you unwilling to sit it out for another year?
2. How confident are you that you can craft a series of coherent, compelling essays and recommendations which point towards a noble end goal?
3. Would you rather pay me now or pay me later?

Here's why I ask:
1. If you are willing to wait it out for another year, why not give the GMAT another try? I think it's a consensus among users on this site that the real GMAT is harder than GMAT Prep, but if you were able to score 750 on the GMAT prep and you only got 640 on the real deal...you get where I'm going? Sure, those high and low numbers could be statistical abberations, but perhaps you could get lucky and have an abberation towards the high end on your next real GMAT.
Moreover, if your work schedule and frequent battles with illness forced you into an irregular study schedule, do you think your performance would spike with more regular study?
2. For each respective b-school class, the Adcom seeks to develop a "family" with members from all corners of the globe, from all professions and with wildly varrying career goals. If you are able to coherently articulate your story through the essays and your recommendations, then you may have a chance of getting into one of your top schools. If you plan to apply to US business schools, you have ethnic diversity in your favor, but what about your career goals? Do you want to be another private equity pro or do you want to combine a rigorous quant curriculum with intense focus on a broad set of leadership skills so that you can manage a network of primary schools in your homeland? The idea which I am trying to convey is that even if your GMAT score is below the 80% range of your dream schools, you still have a decent shot of gaining acceptance if your application does an excellent job of selling your unique story.
3. Not that money is the be all - end all, but for many aspiring MBA's, it is certainly a major factor in their decision to enter b-school. If this is the case for you, it may be worth sitting out one more year to bump your GMAT by another 40 pts or so. If you do some googling for starting MBA salaries compared to average entrance GMAT scores, you will quickly see the monetary reward associated with that extra 40 pts on the GMAT. Plus, you may also find during the course of your googling that many employers are now using the GMAT to sift through prospective MBA hires. How would you feel if you did get into your dream school, but upon graduation, your dream employer dinged you just because of your GMAT score from three years ago?

All that being said, congratulations on a terrific improvement. Kudos!

My GMAT Debrief: my-gmat-experience-540-to-92850.html
Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. - Emerson

Re: 510 first attemt to 640 second attempt   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2009, 19:50