Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

510 GMAT prep / Goal being > 600 + Exam in < a month. HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

510 GMAT prep / Goal being > 600 + Exam in < a month. HELP [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 04:46
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for all those advice ! Gmatclub is a very nice and helpful community. Reading the success (or not) stories of people help me go further....

I've finally taken the step to introduce myself (I guess we are a lot just reading posts from others but too shy to tell our story...), as I am desperate for help.

I am a non-english native business bachelor student. I need to take the GMAT for some Msc in Supply Chain management. I have never been a maths fan to be honest and I also lack some core concepts. For verbal I feel quite conformable although my score does not always say the same (see below)

I have taken an exam in July (COLD no preparation, and not very focused after a day of work) and got the horrible score of 350 :s. Q20 and V19
I did not study gmat until the beginning of October where I worked roughly 5-10 hours a week focusing on MGMAT books.
Then i took a gmat club quantitative and verbal test around the 15th of October (separately, not in a row) and got V47 (!!!) and Q18.
I have just finished my second gmat prep and scored 510 with Q30 and V31. :/. I felt like I was out of time for the last 5-10 questions in Quant and I completely ran out of time for IR although I am sure I could have done better ! (scored 4...)

From the GMAT CLUB score I can tell you that I struggle most in Arithmetics, Probability Algebra and Satistics. For Verbal it looks like it is more for SC (I guess like everybody) and RC and CR are roughly equal in terms of wrong answers...

For my preparation I am using MGMAT books at the moment. I fully completed the Word translations and have done a bit of number properties and fractions. I have also taken several questions from OG13 and I have a kaplan book that i did not opened yet. I also have a private tutor who helps me from time to time for questions that i am really stuck with.

As i know the gmatprep is easier than the really test I am afraid I won't meet my goal which is to get more than 600. More than 500 is also acceptable in the way that one msc accepts it. However, I don't want to be beaten by the GMAT and don't want this gmat to prevent me from applying to the msc's that I have shortlisted. I am now dedicating so much time for this that I want to do it right and succeed !!

Besides, I have rescheduled already twice my gmat for personal reasons so now rescheduling is not an option anymore (the famous money matter and time matter as applications are closing...). My gmat test is on december 4th

I really want to go more through the MGMAT books (as i feel they have helped) to consolidate core concepts especially in geometry, number propreties BUT I am afraid that I will not have enough time to dedicate to real practice (OG13?) . I will try to take a CAT from MGMAT every week now as I have one month left. During the week I can dedicate roughly 10-15 hours MAX (without the 4hours test). Also, how much of this time should be dedicated to verbal ?

Since I have already started studying, I would like to know how you would plan those next 4 weeks if you were in my position? What are the main points I should focus on ?

Many many many thanks in advance for your time and your help guys

Coline

Update : I just took another CAT (MGMAT CAT 1) today and Scored 460... Unfortunately. I scored an horrible 2.47 in IR, 27 in QUant and 28 in Verbal. Again I ran out of time in IR but not in Quant nor in Verbal. But felt i was struggling with some questions... I am very dissapointed and lost :/
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 510 GMAT prep / Goal being > 600 + Exam in < a month. HELP [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:12
First of all don't panic.. you will do great!
Now coming to the point!
Good thing here is that you have a tutor to help you out.
Below things I want to suggest only for Quant:-
Week1 (first 5days)
1. Make a error log. Know your weak areas and start working on them!
2. For each of your weak areas try doing the theory first and then the easy problems.
3. Once you start doing good on the easy problems then move on to the medium difficulty.

Do the above thing for all your weak areas.
You can get a good number of problems in:--
1. gmatclub (gmatclub tag's link is in my signature)
2. grockit.com

Weekend
1. Write a mock test and see if the above method helped you if yes then continue else try something else
2. Work on the mistakes and try getting help from your tutor. (probably sit and analyze with him/her)

Week2
1. Continue on the above plan and move on to the hard level questions.
2. Start taking help from the tutor and see where you are heading.
3. Try writing more mock tests and probably paper tests. (DO NOT exhaust your gmatprep tests)

Weekend
1. Write a mock test and see if the above method helped you if yes then continue else try something else
2. Work on the mistakes and try getting help from your tutor. (probably sit and analyze with him/her)

Week3/4
1. You will be in a position to decide the plan by now.

Good Luck!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: 510 GMAT prep / Goal being > 600 + Exam in < a month. HELP   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 10:12