Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

510 Heart Break (Q32,V28)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
510 Heart Break (Q32,V28) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 09:34
I am a Self-Prepper (never took a course)

I took the GMAT for the first time yesterday. Ran out of time in the Quant by one question (should have just picked a random answer and submitted).

Q: 32
V: 28
S: 510

In my pretest, I usually scored between 580-630
Average Q: 38-44
Average V: 28-32

I came into the test confident and eager. Usually when I take a test (although unofficial) I try and make sure that I get the first 4 problems correct so that I can pick through the harder math. I got Data Sufficiency question after Data Sufficiency question, doubting myself with every submission :oops: I realized then that I know nothing about Data Sufficiency and clearly needed to have come up with a strategy for it. Also, I doubted myself on a lot of sub-500 questions too, not wanting to pick the most obvious answers, thinking that they might be traps.

I scheduled my retake for exactly 31days after I took my exam [Retake: April 3, 2014]

I NEED ADVICE - I NEED STRATEGIES - I NEED AT LEAST 550

Last edited by TroyfontaineMacon on 04 Mar 2014, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 510 Heart Break (Q32,V28) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Troy,

Hope you are well - sorry to hear about your GMAT disappointment. A solid understanding of Data Sufficiency is the key to GMAT Quant confidence. On test day DS can be really tough. Not because the questions get any tougher but because of that nagging bit of doubt: Did I miss something??? If you don't see your answer in problem solving then you know that you did something wrong but there is no safety net in Data Sufficiency. What to do? You need a solid strategy for the major DS questions types.

Make sure to understand:

1. When to pick numbers/make scenarios

2. What types of numbers to use

3. Counting equations/Unique Equations/Perfect Fit Equations

4. How to define a threshold

If you're a self-starter you can get this all figured out working through the OG 13 and using the GMAT forums as a teaching resource. There is ton of great information here. You might also pick up a DS book from Manhattan GMAT or other fill in the blank company. I haven't used any of the books but maybe someone else can chime in. The other thing you could do if you don't have the time for more self-prep is to hire someone to help you. Provided that you're willing to put in the HW time it shouldn't take someone who knows what they are talking about to get you going in the right direction. Regardless of what resources you use remember that it's critical to keep and error log so that you can learn from your mistakes. Make sure to review any doubts so that you have a solid strategy for everything. From 510-550 should be quite possible with a month of solid prep.

Happy Studies,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 510 Heart Break (Q32,V28) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 13:25
HerrGrau wrote:
Make sure to understand:

1. When to pick numbers/make scenarios

2. What types of numbers to use

3. Counting equations/Unique Equations/Perfect Fit Equations

4. How to define a threshold

Well thats the advice I need :!: :shock: how do I find that? I have several Manhattan GMAT books, I don't think they have one dedicated to Data Sufficiency :(

I need confidence in this section, I love solving hard problem solving problems, but know I wont ever get them or receive max points on the GMAT (for series of correct answers) by guessing or second guessing DS questions most of the time.

I have 30 days - 200 Study Hrs to do this...Im willing to put in the work

I can NEVER feel like this again!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: 510 Heart Break (Q32,V28) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Troy,

Hope you are well today. Unfortunately I'm not aware of a comprehensive DS book. I would like to write a DS tutorial but don't have the time at the moment. I will be suggesting DS work and doing a bit of analysis on my website in the GMAT Schedule section but that's still not a comprehensive solution. You would probably have to learn by solving DS questions and researching solutions on the forums. If you really commit to investigating every DS question for which you don't have a good solution you should be able to piece the strategies together. The strategies will probably take a little time to sink in but that's normal. A critical thing to remember for Data Sufficiency: Invest time to understand the given information and to define the question before going to the statements. Most of the work should be done before going to the statements (for most DS). Hopefully you'll be able to make the DS a strength and by the end of the month you may actually prefer the DS to the PS! Let me know if you have any questions!

Happy Studies,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 510 Heart Break (Q32,V28) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 17:47
Regardless of what I get on my retake, this is my last time taking the GMAT (which at this point seems entirely arbitrary). I want to tell myself I'm better than my nerves and just concentrate on the next exam

Im looking to score a Q40 or better...if I can do that, I am home free!
Re: 510 Heart Break (Q32,V28)   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2014, 17:47