Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

510! Need advice, please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

510! Need advice, please [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 17:30
Two weeks ago I took the GMATPrep and scored 380. I have been 3 years out of college and never studied/learned GMAT before. After scoring less than 400, I learned a lot from this site (thanks for your tips, guys!) and it helped a lot. I also read old Princeton’s book, although I felt that the book wasn’t really helpful.

A week ago, I took the GMATPrep again and scored 490. Yesterday, I took the official GMAT test, and my unofficial score was 510 (37Q/52, 23V/30, 41 percentile total). I think one of my biggest problems is time management. I run out of time and guessing randomly on quantitative section from question 29. I know that my score is very low, compared to you guys here who scored 700++. But with only two week’s preparation, a 510, it’s not really that bad. :)

I want to study GMAT again, more seriously. I’m planning to retake the test next mid-December and my target score is 650+. Could you please give me some advice? Where should I start? What kind of books should I read?

Technically, I don’t have a lot of things to do. I quit my work. I can prepare for the GMAT 24 hours everyday (minus take a rest and go to the toilet). But I prefer to study independently and not to take the GMATPrep course.

Last but not least, is there any a “good” university which would accept my low GMAT scores? Preferably in California, Southern, or Southwest US, with concentration in Strategy/General Management. I’m international, anyway. And I want to return to my home country after MBA.

Many thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Dear Widget, [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 00:04
The competition to get into good MBA programs is very tight. If you really want to be admitted, it is best to raise your score to your maximum grade. There are many different ways to study for the GMAT: by taking a course (in a classroom or online), by doing problems and studying the answers, and/or by using review books.
GMAX Online was created for those students who are not afraid to study properly for this difficult test. The course is very long (about 67 hours of class time) and very thorough. (You can see the list of classes here in the review or on the site: http://www.gmaxonline.com). It is easily understood by native English speakers, and by non-native English speakers. There is a great deal of homework, and 8 adaptive Computer-Adaptive Tests: 5 from 800score, and 3 from Upstart Raising.
Whichever system you use to study, be sure to study sufficiently before you take the test again! This test is career-maker if done properly.
Regards,
Leanna
Director, GMAX
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: 510! Need advice, please [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 01:12
Hi widget,

Looking at your score, your quantitative skills are stronger than your verbal skills. If I were you, I would break it down and try and pinpoint the weaknesses. Figure out where in verbal are you going wrong (whether you are weak in RC, SC or CR). Try and get your verbal up to at least 30 and quant up to 45.

I found that GMAT is all about practice. If you can spend 4 hours (4 GOOD hours) everyday working on problems for one month you will see a marked improvement. If you can couple this with some extra reading and understanding of the fundamental principles, you are well on your way.

Many have made dramatic improvements in their scores through sheer hard work and persistence. Have a look at : http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t35919 if you need any inspiration.

Good luck.

widget wrote:
Two weeks ago I took the GMATPrep and scored 380. I have been 3 years out of college and never studied/learned GMAT before. After scoring less than 400, I learned a lot from this site (thanks for your tips, guys!) and it helped a lot. I also read old Princeton’s book, although I felt that the book wasn’t really helpful.

A week ago, I took the GMATPrep again and scored 490. Yesterday, I took the official GMAT test, and my unofficial score was 510 (37Q/52, 23V/30, 41 percentile total). I think one of my biggest problems is time management. I run out of time and guessing randomly on quantitative section from question 29. I know that my score is very low, compared to you guys here who scored 700++. But with only two week’s preparation, a 510, it’s not really that bad. :)

I want to study GMAT again, more seriously. I’m planning to retake the test next mid-December and my target score is 650+. Could you please give me some advice? Where should I start? What kind of books should I read?

Technically, I don’t have a lot of things to do. I quit my work. I can prepare for the GMAT 24 hours everyday (minus take a rest and go to the toilet). But I prefer to study independently and not to take the GMATPrep course.

Last but not least, is there any a “good” university which would accept my low GMAT scores? Preferably in California, Southern, or Southwest US, with concentration in Strategy/General Management. I’m international, anyway. And I want to return to my home country after MBA.

Many thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 09:07
Thanks a lot for your advice, bsd. Thanks for mentioning positive_soul's thread. I was awesome and very inspiring! I have just ordered Kaplan & Princeton books. I'll start to read it tonight.

However, I don't really understand how CAT works. For example, in the quant section, what if I answered 20 right, 7 answers wrong, and not answered the rest because ran out of time? As far as I know, the first 5-7 questions is really important, as the systems will try to determine/adjust the questions level to suit my skills.

When I have not answered, say, 10 questions but only have 3 minutes left, should I just guess randomly? Or try to answer the questions left as hard as possible? Even if I can only answer 1-2 questions during that minutes?

Many thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 10:44
Hi, I would weigh importance of the entire exam as a whole. Of course you want to do well on the first question, since previous question determines the following question. Utmost concentration on each question is important. I believe there is a huge penalty (30-40pts) if you run out of time and fail to answer a couple of the questions.

I would definitely recommend making educated guesses. Cause if you get questions wrong, points will not be deducted from your overall score, but if you fail to complete a section, you'll be penalized for incompletion.

Don't let yourself make guesses, work on your time management. You'll do well. Good luck!
  [#permalink] 26 Oct 2007, 10:44