Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530->640 (Q47, V31), should I try again?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
530->640 (Q47, V31), should I try again? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 11:53
Hello everyone,

I first started to contemplate taking the GMAT in January when one of my classmates from international school in Beijing introduced me to the idea of studying for an MBA program.

I did some self study for two months using the MGMAT practice tests and didn't really bother to absorb the fundamentals. Still, in April, I scored 530 (Q32, V33) and realized that I would need an extra boost to reach an acceptable score.

Fast forward five months and I have gone through the entire Knewton live course with an average of 600 in their CAT tests.
The last two GMATPrep tests were 660/680 after accounting for repeats, so 640 (Q47, V31) should have been an acceptable score. However, personally, I think that my verbal performance was sub standard (Knewton scores ranged from 34-40, GMAT prep scores from 34-38) and that 680 might have been achievable today.

I am seriously thinking about taking the test again, because I quite enjoy it and I think that it does help with other aspects in life, apart from taking up a large portion of my spare time.

As for prep material, I used the MGMAT tests, Knewton Live course and OG guides. I think I still have about 400 verbal questions that I could have gone through in the OG12 guide. The GMATClub app on the iPad and the challenge tests were also very helpful.

The universities that I'm targeting have an average score around the 650 mark, so maybe I should focus on other aspects of the application process instead.

By the way, the GMAT is officially my first standardized test ever. I thought about doing the SAT back in High School, but I never got around to it and ended up in the UK instead.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 530->640 (Q47, V31), should I try again? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 12:35
If your schools' average is 650 and you have a 640, no reason to take it again. H/S/W averages are between 710-730, but most people who score just below that won't retake. I don't think it's a good use of your time, in your case.
Re: 530->640 (Q47, V31), should I try again?   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2011, 12:35