Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 08:05
I've been struggling on and off with the GMAT for several years now. 2 months ago I finally decided to refocus on my studies. I made a bunch of flashcards based on the notes taken from all the MGMAT books and go through them about once a week. The rest of the time I solve problems from the infamous GMAT 1000 sets (which I find to be a bit easy, esp the quant part)and go over them and take notes.

Yesterday I finally felt ready to take a practice exam, and scored a 660, A far cry from the miserable 530 I received on my last MGMAT practice test I took exactly 2 years ago. I'm actually shooting for a 670+ so I was very pleased with the score.

The breakdown was as follows: 42Q, 38V

I did experience 2 issues:
1)The quant section was extremely difficult, more so than the hard problems in the OG12 Quant section.
2)I only got 2/12 correct on the IR section. This was the first time I ever saw the IR section, so I just wanted to get a feeling for them. I will obviously get a book and study up on them.

I would really love to get some advice as to how I can improve my quant score. Should I focus on doing all the problems in the OG13 guide, as well as the OG quant review?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 08:53
Q 42 means you are not bad at quant. You may like to go through the 5 x mgmat books to improve ur concepts and thereafter take a test to gauge ur improvement. I'm sure doing so will help.
Also, you can supplement your studies with gmatclub tests post the mgmat books.
Moreover, since you only want a score of 670 + so you can even ignore the subjects in quant that are your strong areas and focus on weak areas only.
Why don't you run an assessment report of your tests?

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Current Student

Re: 530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 14:11
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Q 42 means you are not bad at quant. You may like to go through the 5 x mgmat books to improve ur concepts and thereafter take a test to gauge ur improvement. I'm sure doing so will help.
Also, you can supplement your studies with gmatclub tests post the mgmat books.
Moreover, since you only want a score of 670 + so you can even ignore the subjects in quant that are your strong areas and focus on weak areas only.
Why don't you run an assessment report of your tests?

Thank you,

I went through the books twice in the past 2 years. The last time I took very thorough notes on all the concepts. Do you think it's still better to go over the 5 books, or do the OG+supplement problems?
Current Student

Re: 530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 17:31
davidandcompany wrote:
bond007 wrote:
I've been struggling on and off with the GMAT for several years now. 2 months ago I finally decided to refocus on my studies. I made a bunch of flashcards based on the notes taken from all the MGMAT books and go through them about once a week. The rest of the time I solve problems from the infamous GMAT 1000 sets (which I find to be a bit easy, esp the quant part)and go over them and take notes.

Yesterday I finally felt ready to take a practice exam, and scored a 660, A far cry from the miserable 530 I received on my last MGMAT practice test I took exactly 2 years ago. I'm actually shooting for a 670+ so I was very pleased with the score.

The breakdown was as follows: 42Q, 38V

I did experience 2 issues:
1)The quant section was extremely difficult, more so than the hard problems in the OG12 Quant section.
2)I only got 2/12 correct on the IR section. This was the first time I ever saw the IR section, so I just wanted to get a feeling for them. I will obviously get a book and study up on them.

I would really love to get some advice as to how I can improve my quant score. Should I focus on doing all the problems in the OG13 guide, as well as the OG quant review?

Statement 1 engenders the following questions:

Why did you find the quant extremely difficult?

Was it because of content? (fundamentals, formulas, etc.)

or

Was it because of timing? (should average 2 minutes per problem)

I know that MGMAT Quant is very time-consuming because it is very algebra-heavy. The real GMAT doesn't ask you to do a lot of algebra (someone please testify). This is the reason why MGMAT Quant is essential to improve timing.

Back to the drawing board! :)

I was ok with the timing, the content was definitely harder than the stuff from the OG guides.
Re: 530-->660 MGMAT practice!! Need to Improve quant and IR   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 17:31