Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530 Diagnostic to 470 Practise test 1. Pl help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-15-2012
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

530 Diagnostic to 470 Practise test 1. Pl help! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 17:42
Hi All,

I have been preparing for the GMAT since june 2012.My test date is sep 30th.My target score is 650+.

First diagnostic test with zero test prep gave me the scores of 530 q36 v26.I finished 3 MGMAT quant books(along with the OG) and ended with the score of 470 q 36 v 18 on my first practise test.(lot of guess work in verbal which brought the score down)I had taken the test to assess my improvement level in quant.My only concern is that my quant score did not improve.I seemed to have forgot everything.My verbal preparation has been close to just 10% as I have covered only CR bible book without doing OG questions.Not started with Sc and RC. I am planning to join a local training centre here at chennai.Planning to restart the entire process again and start with a 3 month prep plan

Here are my queries:

1)Is it better to change my prep plan and postpone the test date to somewhere around november 1st week?The schools that I am targeting have round 1 deadlines well after november 1 so that is not a problem.
2)How to identify specific strong and weak areas .As far as my case is concerned I am weak at almost all topics.Should I be more specific than this in terms of strength and weakness areas.?
3)What should be my study mode.Q an V alternately daily or finish quant first then move to verbal?
I followed the latter strategy for the first two months.By the time I was into the third month I had forgot most things.But the problem with studying Q and V daily is that in the 2 hrs I get I am not able to cover a substantial amount of topic in either.
4)Considering that I reschedule my test date to november 1st week,When should I start my practise test and at what intervals.
5)Should I keep the OG for the last or should I do OG-chapter wise as in MGMAT guides?
6)Should my prep strategy go like this->

1.Go through all concepts formulae and stuff without practising OG in both verbal and Quant.
2.Take practise test 1 to gauge .
3.Continue with OG and take practise tests in parallel.

Experts and other members on the forum Pl help me!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 530 Diagnostic to 470 Practise test 1. Pl help! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 00:33
1)Is it better to change my prep plan and postpone the test date to somewhere around October 1st week?The schools that I am targeting have round 1 deadlines well after october 1 so that is not a problem.

Ans: i will suggest you to keep practicing for two months. and then write a mock test. If things go well then don't postpone the date, else do it!

2)How to identify specific strong and weak areas .As far as my case is concerned I am weak at almost all topics.Should I be more specific than this in terms of strength and weakness areas.?
Ans:
1. Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

2. Register in grockit.com and start practicing from there.

3. Consult a tutor.

3)What should be my study mode.Q an V alternately daily or finish quant first then move to verbal?
Ans
- This depends on how weak/strong you are in Verbal and Quant. I will suggest you to spend equal time in both the areas if you are weak in both!
- Prepare a schedule and stick to it COME WHAT MAY!

4)Considering that I reschedule my test date to october 1st week,When should I start my practise test and at what intervals.
- Usually it is suggested to give 1 practice tests/week.
- You should start giving practice tests once you are done with all the theory and atleast a basic level of application of all the concepts in all the areas.

5)Should I keep the OG for the last or should I do OG-chapter wise as in MGMAT guides?
- You should study from OG! I will suggest you to finish of theory from the books you are referring and then go to OG and solve the problems.

6)Should my prep strategy go like this->

1.Go through all concepts formulae and stuff without practising OG in both verbal and Quant.
2.Take practise test 1 to gauge .
3.Continue with OG then move to subsequent practise tests.

Ans:
I will suggest the following
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: 530 Diagnostic to 470 Practise test 1. Pl help!   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2012, 00:33