Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V27
GPA: 3.24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake. [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 06:10
Hi gmatclub members,

Hope you are all well.

A brief background: I'm fairly new to gmatclub, coming across it several times previously to read some discussions on practice problems. I decided to sign up today in preparation for my GMAT retake. I took the GMAT in February 2014 (two weeks ago) and got a horrible 530 Q35 V27 IR4 AWA4.5. I had been studying on and off since early 2011 with the bulk during the past 4 months. However, it is clear that my studying has not been effective or efficient. Upon contemplating on whether I wanted to retake it and speaking with friends, I finally decided that I will retake it by May '14. I have reflected a bit and have some general ideas of where I need to improve. For example, I know that I will need to follow a schedule seriously and stay more focused. I've started to follow Magoosh's 3 month plan for beginners as I'm hoping the daily objectives can keep me on track. I mostly used Manhattan GMAT and OG materials previously, and will also reread them where necessary for my retake preparations. I'm realistic about my situation and understand that it's going to take a lot of work to improve my score but I'm aiming for over 700 mostly to try and maximize my score. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 2.6
WE: Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: 530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake. [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 08:11
I did had a similair score my first time.

MGMAT, SC - I must have read that book a dozen times. I then just pounded SC questions. I found that reading in general helped a lot. I did not ever read a RC, or CR book.
Can't speak to Magoosh, but MGMAT online practice exams are great for Quant. I found that some of the notes that other members have posted help. That and an error log. Hone in on the areas where you are weak. Confidence is big. Read some of the success stories on this board. Browse this site some more and you will find the material and resources you need.
Good luck!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: 530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake. [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 09:20
Expert's post
Hi wit,

Yes, you should follow a plan as a guideline: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We generally recommend that you focus intensely on a specific weak section for 5-10 consecutive days to maximize your improvement in that one particular section before moving onto the next. Once you have gone through your problem areas section by section, then you can start mixing them up together. Finally, you can take full-length practice tests to see how you've progressed since the start of your studies.

For OG - you may find this resource useful: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide

For online practice test, you can use: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

As always, we are here to help.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V27
GPA: 3.24

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake. [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 22:40
Hi All,

Thanks for your previous advice. I have been studying since the post and will be retaking on May 12 (in 2 weeks). I'd like to kindly ask for further advice regarding what I should and should not be doing during the last 2 weeks before the exam. Specifically,

1. Since my official GMAT take 1, my mock tests have been on a roller coaster ride (below). Are there any indications of what could be causing these big fluctuations? Ideally, I'd like to score over 700 but given that I only have two weeks left I understand that I don't have much time left. Understand that there are no guarantees but wanted to get advice on what I can do to maximize my score for over 700.

Feb 10 Official GMAT Take 1 530 Q35 V27
Mar 14 MGMAT 2 Take 1 600 Q43 V31
Apr 5 GMATPrep 1 Take 3 530 Q44 V20
Apr 26 GMATPrep 2 Take 1 650 Q46 V34

2. Related to point 1, do you have any pacing strategies? I am usually behind on time and have to guess a lot of the last questions.

3. For the GMATPrep 2 Take 1 I did today, I got a 650 even though I got 16 incorrect on quant and 16 incorrect on verbal. I was quite surprised to see a 650 even though I got so many incorrect. Is this realistic of the official GMAT?
Re: 530 Q35 V27 on GMAT 1. Need advice on retake.   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2014, 22:40