Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530 to 630 in three weeks. Should I try once more?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

530 to 630 in three weeks. Should I try once more? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 16:21
Hello!

I took GMAT yesterday and scored 630 (Q48 V28). My first attempt GMAT score is 530 (Q47, Q17) taken last month. I was quite satisfied with the +100 in a short period. Right now I'm thinking whether I should give it one more time. Maybe there's a chance to reach 700.

My second attempt was full of stress and anxiety. I planned to score about 48-50 in quantitative because quan is always my strong point. Verbal is my weakness and I have no idea whether I will screw this past as I did last time. What happened during the test time was a disaster. The first three questions were so easy that I could finish them 100% correct within 2 minutes. After that came a nightmare, GMAT threw me several questions of the topic I'm not good at e.g. Statistics, Divisibility and prime and consecutive integer, etc.. I was under stressed and frankly speaking I couldn't do any of them especially DS. At that time I started to think about retaking once more. Since quan has always been my strong point, not being able to do it well was so devastated. I lost my confidence question after question and ended up not having enough time to finish the last 5 questions (I guessed all of them)

During the 8-minute break, I went to the toilet and tried to calm myself. Of course it didn't work. Generally I panic easily so when it comes to this kind of situation, I'm completely lost. I started to think about cancelling my score ( I wasn't exaggerated, at that time I thought I might score on 3x something on quan ). Anyway, I went back and started the verbal part. Because I was already freak out about my quan, I wasn't concentrate in solving verbal problems that much. I thought since I'm gonna retake it once more, just get it done and go home. I know this is really bad but I was so devastated at that time and didn't have any drive to do the verbal part. For some CR question, I picked the answer without reading all the answers. (For example, I read A B and C and felt like C maybe correct, I picked it without reading D and E). I think I did best in SC (Thanks e-gmat for that!). Anyway, the point was I didn't concentrate enough because I thought I screwed the quan part so there's no way for me to get more than 600.

I finished verbal in time and started again to think whether I should cancel my score. In the end, I was like it's better to know and be disappointed than not to know and always wonder. I covered my eyes with my hand at first. When I saw the score I was so SHOCKED! I mean how the hell I scored quan this high! Even higher than the last time and the point was I thought I screwed the entire part! Verbal was as expected since I didn't concentrate enough. ( If I concentrated on it more, I guess I could get 30-32)

Now I'm not sure whether I should give it a third attempt but 630 is quite enough for me to apply for the school I want.

Please let me know what you think! Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: 530 to 630 in three weeks. Should I try once more? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
630 is quite enough for me to apply for the school I want.

Well, the whole point of the GMAT is to get you into school, so if you already have a score that will get you in... congratulations! Why bother tormenting yourself if you're sure that your score is high enough?

For what it's worth, it does sound like there's room for improvement on the verbal section if you do choose to retake. Could you improve your score if you keep practicing your verbal and stay focused next time around? Sure. Is it worth bothering? It doesn't sound like it, but maybe there's a compelling reason that you haven't mentioned yet.

In any case, congratulations on a really impressive score improvement! Plenty of people here would happily give their left nut for a 100-point improvement in one month.

And for anybody else who might be reading this: please don't cancel your scores unless you literally wet your pants during the test. You never know when you might be pleasantly surprised by the best quant section of your life. :-D

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: 530 to 630 in three weeks. Should I try once more?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 17:28