Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
14 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IMD, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [14] , given: 4

530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone!

Endurance pays off - and I experienced this...Let me tell you how!

The seed of GMAT was sown in my head way back in Mar 2011, when I joined a course in Manhattan Review, and studied very hard for my exam in July 2011. I was clueless about my score of 530, since I scored up to 670 on GMAT Prep and Manhattan GMAT tests (previous post:where-did-i-go-wrong-118270.html#p956424). I was dejected and din't touch my books though I made a make-up plan.

I am basically a 28 year old doctor with a Masters in Clinical Research. I had been a very good student at school and was a gold medalist during under graduation. Also, I am successful professionally. The only war I couldn't win was GMAT - and this was unacceptable for me. Here started the actual story!

I received an email in my inbox saying that the GMAT pattern was going to change in a couple of weeks. Shocking!! :shock: - since I am in the last month of pregnancy! I am unable to walk, sleep or for that matter sit for a while. As it is, I cannot give the exam in the next few months. I was more than just confused. Will I be able to sit for 4 long hours for a test I din't prepare? Yes! - said my parents and husband. They believed in my capabilities more than I did. I booked my slot on May 27 2012.

The irony is that I am not allowed to take any stress during preparation. I din't want to repeat my past mistake of not finishing OG 12. I buckled up and finished the RC section of OG 12. I cannot tell you how much confidence I gained in doing so. I never attempted RC on OG 12 - of course it feels so boring! But believe me, OG 12 is the best book for RC. One need not read volumes of other texts, just read all the explanations on OG. Your RC "will" improve drastically. Ensure that you solve RC early in the morning or whenever your mind is open and fresh.

With all the pumped up confidence, I started solving SC & CR on OG 12. And the same result! Lots of confidence gain. I cursed myself for not completing OG the last time. As with math, I never crossed 45 with or without preparation. So I started giving the tests once again. I scored an average of 640 on MGMAT tests, and went up to 680 on GMAT Prep. But a huge improvement in the verbal scores made me elated.

3 more days to go, and I came across a peculiar post where a person scored a 720 on his 5th attempt. I found his strategies very surprising - Not looking at the clock during exam, reading only the underlined part on SC etc. I am eccentric and my ego tickled me on applying them! I knew it wasn't the right time to apply new strategies, but I did so for fun. I was astonished at the new discovery - I did bad on my previous exam due to huge stress! Now, when I experienced ZERO stress on practice exam, I jumped on to that strategy like a hungry tigress! I did two practice tests that way and kept quiet the last day.

As usually, I dint sleep properly the day before, but a strong instinct of success was flowing through my blood. I knew I would nail the GMAT this time with the new strategy on hand. I felt sleepy during AWA and went on for a break. I was calming my baby down saying "MOM is gonna do something unusual and please keep up with her". And she listened to me :)

I hid the clock, and went on solving. I had a bad algebra question as the first one, took more than 6 minutes probably, but I was not at all intimidated. I was mentally prepared for algebra n probability (tough areas for me) and all 4 RC passages at the beginning of the exam. I knew nothing else could be worse! But there was!

I developed a severe muscle cramp during the exam (common to pregnancy) and had to go out and walk for a while. It was so painful that I took time to adjust to the test once I came back.

I was left with 10 questions with 5 minutes on clock. I randomly guessed questions alternately and finally finished the section. I knew I maintained accuracy in the beginning where my score would have been set to a standard level. Made up my mind for verbal - my strong area with all the OG preparation.

Every next question was tougher and I felt I was doing well. But the same situation - I used up good time for initial questions and was left with 5 minutes for last 10 questions. I randomly guessed and went on to report the scores. Phew!! It was a 670. I couldn't believe the screen. 44 on quant, and 38 on verbal.

For me, 670 was a great score!! Looking at the heavy-me coming out of the test centre like a humpty-dumpty, my husband could make out I did well. I could not stop crying as I thanked the cute little one in my tummy. After all, I was enduring all this pain for her!

Tons of thanks to my husband, my mom, dad, sis, mahtab and lath2011 (members of this club) for all the support. And thank you all for reading my emotions. GMAT is a simple mind game and anyone can win the war even in the toughest of times!!!

Ramya
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 46

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome debrief Ramya! Hats off!

Sitting for 3.5 - 4 hours and that too under so much stress in last stage of preganancy is outstanding! I'm sure your baby will be so proud of this when she grows up!

Quote:
I was calming my baby down saying "MOM is gonna do something unusual and please keep up with her". And she listened to me

Aww! God bless!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 10:45
Expert's post
Wow, great story...even in the midst of a pregnancy you conquer!

And stepping out to walk must have been frightening...you might not finish your exam but you managed to have enough psychological confidence to get through the rest. Good job!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 20:44
Congrats ! what an inspiring story!

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 09:04
This is one of the best stories i have read on this forum. Hats off to you. All the Best. May god bless you :)

Cheers
G2

A RollerCoaster to 710
a-rollercoaster-to-134589.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 05:31
Wow!! You have inspired me!! I'm 32 weeks pregnant, and I would like to take the test after my baby born! But it will be most difficult for me because I'm not native english speaker, actually I'm studying hard all day long, but I haven't taken any test yet because I think I'm afraid to be disappointed... I don't have problems with quantitative area, but with word problems and verbal area... Welll Congrats!

Do your best, and forguet the rest!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 09:16
one of the most influential story i've ever read in this forum.....hats off.....and hard work pays off at least

best of luck

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 17:42
Outstanding! This debrief is really out of the league. I am sure that the baby has a lot to learn from her mother and yes, from her father too. May God bless the family.

Good luck Ramya!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:15
What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing and all the best to you!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 12

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:41
Congratulations and great work to get inspired from. Good luck for your next stage.

+1Kudos, if this helps

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IMD, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 4

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
@piyatiwari: thanks piya. I am waiting to narrate the story to my baby :-D

@gmatpill: thank you gmatpill! indeed, it was scary, but I could not afford to take stress and hence..

@Zynga: thank you Zynga! I would be more than happy if my story inspired any one of you out there!

@DataAce1701: thanks a lot for saying that!

@elizabethpenagos: thanks elizabeth! As such, I am not a native english speaker. I will be happy to help you in case you need any :)

@alchemist009: thanks for saying that alchemist! yes, hard work pays off, but it is unusual that I worked hard the previous time and got the pay this time :wink: and now it feels smart work plays better in this area :-D

@mittal82: thanks much for saying that mittal! seriously it was her dad - for boosting my confidence and for tolerating me all through :wink:

@rakp: thanks rakp!

@mads: thanks mads!

@gmat club readers: I can help those who are unable to score the same on the real thing as on the practice tests. Anytime :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 11:22
One of the most moving and inspiring stories.Unbelievable grit and determination.Take a bow madam!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 23:01
WOW THIA ISS SOOOO INSPIRING! I will think twice now before saying that my life is stressfull! Amazing amazing achievement, congrats and all the best for ur future and best wishes to the new born :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 04:44
Congrats to you, madam! Your baby will be proud of you!

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 05:25
Congratulations to you! First time I encountered someone pregnant studying for the GMAT. :) Kudos! I see a very proud baby boy/baby girl inside that tummy :P

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 7

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
What to say?... Speechless.... !!!

and I used to complain about extended office hours....huh? .... Indeed a very tough lady !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 13:36
A truly moving story .. your daughter will be proud!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 02:44
U have done a great job . this must be helpful for us, gmat aspirant
thank u a lot

heygmat,
bangladesh
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V27

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 01:39
Hi Ramya,

Congratulations to you for your endurance. Now your new born baby will be a GMAT expert. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 38

Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 03:13
Amazing !! Congrats !! Hats Off to you !!
Re: 530 to 670 - Story of a 9 month pregnant female   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2012, 03:13