Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

530 was not my plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 11:02
Just took my GMAT and scored 530. Q42 V24. A little disappointed as I scored 660 on one of the practice exams. Quantitative seems to be in line with what I am capable with my engineering background. Btw scored a 46 on my practice. But I hope the agreement is that I'm just simply weak in Verbal.

I've been studying on and off for the first 1.5 months and consistently for the past two. Took one practice two weeks ago and one quantitative practice last week. Almost read and studied the entire MGMAT study pack and did several practice problems out of MGMAT study guides and OG guides

I was feeling fairly content until the verbal. AWA went smooth. IR seemed to click ok. Quantitative was decent, but I did have to guess the last 6-7 because I was out of time. Once the verbal hit, I was like a zombie. Everything looked the same and I couldn't even concentrate. The passages looked uninteresting and heavy with all the mumbo jumbo verbiage. Approaching the end of verbal I wasted so much time on previous problems that I had to guess the last 10-11 problems.

I might have to really evaluate if this is for me. I know I have the math knowledge but verbal is far from good. Being that I was fairly nervous didn't help either. I'm thinking take a few weeks off and really evaluate if I can do this. In the mean times all the suggestions are welcome. Maybe I need a good prep course.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 38

Re: 530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
sadovskiya wrote:
Just took my GMAT and scored 530. Q42 V24. A little disappointed as I scored 660 on one of the practice exams. Quantitative seems to be in line with what I am capable with my engineering background. Btw scored a 46 on my practice. But I hope the agreement is that I'm just simply weak in Verbal.

I've been studying on and off for the first 1.5 months and consistently for the past two. Took one practice two weeks ago and one quantitative practice last week. Almost read and studied the entire MGMAT study pack and did several practice problems out of MGMAT study guides and OG guides

I was feeling fairly content until the verbal. AWA went smooth. IR seemed to click ok. Quantitative was decent, but I did have to guess the last 6-7 because I was out of time. Once the verbal hit, I was like a zombie. Everything looked the same and I couldn't even concentrate. The passages looked uninteresting and heavy with all the mumbo jumbo verbiage. Approaching the end of verbal I wasted so much time on previous problems that I had to guess the last 10-11 problems.

I might have to really evaluate if this is for me. I know I have the math knowledge but verbal is far from good. Being that I was fairly nervous didn't help either. I'm thinking take a few weeks off and really evaluate if I can do this. In the mean times all the suggestions are welcome. Maybe I need a good prep course.

Hello,
No matter what the score was, take a break and have fun :)
When u come back concentrate on quant first and try to get even better with it.. know ur strengths and try not to timeout the exams.. u can try GMATCLub exams for practice.. once u get 48-50 on regular basis, work on verbal .. also if u like u can work on reading while working on quants.. check recommended reading for RC and CR http://gmatclub.com/forum/books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

I think ur quant went well with 42 and if u practice harder it can go up even further
for verbal I suggest u read this one : [url]For verbal use this study plan study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html[/url]

Anyways don't worry..in a long life we all hit ups and downs..its important to get up when ur down and continue working hard..

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 95

Re: 530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
sadovskiya wrote:
Just took my GMAT and scored 530. Q42 V24. A little disappointed as I scored 660 on one of the practice exams. How did you do on your other practice tests? Were you improving with each test? What were your verbal scores on the practice tests? Quantitative seems to be in line with what I am capable with my engineering background. Btw scored a 46 on my practice. But I hope the agreement is that I'm just simply weak in Verbal.

I've been studying on and off for the first 1.5 months and consistently for the past two. Took one practice two weeks ago and one quantitative practice last week. If verbal is your weakness, you probably should have taken an additional Verbal Practice test as opposed to a Q. Almost read and studied the entire MGMAT study pack and did several practice problems out of MGMAT study guides and OG guides

I was feeling fairly content until the verbal. AWA went smooth. IR seemed to click ok. Quantitative was decent, but I did have to guess the last 6-7 because I was out of time. Once the verbal hit, I was like a zombie. Everything looked the same and I couldn't even concentrate. The passages looked uninteresting and heavy with all the mumbo jumbo verbiage. Approaching the end of verbal I wasted so much time on previous problems that I had to guess the last 10-11 problems. You had to guess on 20% of Q and 27% of V. That represents a lot of potential questions you missed because of time management.

The good news is you've taken the test and now have a real good idea of the real-world test conditions. You had two major problems. You know you are weak in verbal (which areas of V?) and your time management was poor. So you'll naturally want to address those two areas immediately when you resume studying.

Here's a quick article on Verbal time management. http://www.gmathacks.com/cat-strategy/m ... ction.html

I did take a study course when I sat the CBET exam. (Field specific certification exam.) That course took me from I would have just barely passed to a spectacular score. So a good prep course can be invaluable. If you have the time and the money to invest in one, consider it.

Good luck and don't give up.

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: 530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 15:32
MzJavert wrote:
sadovskiya wrote:
Just took my GMAT and scored 530. Q42 V24. A little disappointed as I scored 660 on one of the practice exams. How did you do on your other practice tests? Were you improving with each test? What were your verbal scores on the practice tests? Quantitative seems to be in line with what I am capable with my engineering background. Btw scored a 46 on my practice. But I hope the agreement is that I'm just simply weak in Verbal.

I've been studying on and off for the first 1.5 months and consistently for the past two. Took one practice two weeks ago and one quantitative practice last week. If verbal is your weakness, you probably should have taken an additional Verbal Practice test as opposed to a Q. Almost read and studied the entire MGMAT study pack and did several practice problems out of MGMAT study guides and OG guides

I was feeling fairly content until the verbal. AWA went smooth. IR seemed to click ok. Quantitative was decent, but I did have to guess the last 6-7 because I was out of time. Once the verbal hit, I was like a zombie. Everything looked the same and I couldn't even concentrate. The passages looked uninteresting and heavy with all the mumbo jumbo verbiage. Approaching the end of verbal I wasted so much time on previous problems that I had to guess the last 10-11 problems. You had to guess on 20% of Q and 27% of V. That represents a lot of potential questions you missed because of time management.

The good news is you've taken the test and now have a real good idea of the real-world test conditions. You had two major problems. You know you are weak in verbal (which areas of V?) and your time management was poor. So you'll naturally want to address those two areas immediately when you resume studying.

Here's a quick article on Verbal time management.

I did take a study course when I sat the CBET exam. (Field specific certification exam.) That course took me from I would have just barely passed to a spectacular score. So a good prep course can be invaluable. If you have the time and the money to invest in one, consider it.

Good luck and don't give up.

Well I think you summed up some of my problems with your questions.

- I only took one full practice test. Simply didn't have time to squeeze any more in with the travel I was doing at the time. I did solve many problems out of the OG.
- I will have to practice my time management better.

I am very confident in Quantitative and will work towards scoring 48-50, but will have to explore additional routes for my Verbal.

Thanks for the help.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 95

Re: 530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 16:54
Print out some short, but difficult articles. Do the same for verbal quetions here on GC. Don't look at the question/answers, just bring the page up and print it. Tuck these away in a pocket, folder, etc.. You'll have study material with you at all times for when you have a few extra minutes.

I understand travel can be tough. But I have full confidence you'll have a great score next time. Others have come back from even worse first attempts.

I do not beg for kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 95

Re: 530 was not my plan [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 16:56
Print out some short, but difficult articles. Do the same for verbal quetions here on GC. Don't look at the question/answers, just bring the page up and print it. Tuck these away in a pocket, folder, etc.. You'll have study material with you at all times for when you have a few extra minutes.

I understand travel can be tough. But I have full confidence you'll have a great score next time. Others have come back from even worse first attempts.

I do not beg for kudos.

Re: 530 was not my plan   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2013, 16:56