Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

540 (32 Q, 32 V)--gunning for 600--acceptance probability??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

540 (32 Q, 32 V)--gunning for 600--acceptance probability?? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 13:49
I will do my best keep this thread/post short and to the point so here goes.

graduated 2010--working for what is now 18+months; GPA 3.1
Gprep(practice) last fall-370
studied on and off for 2months
studied hard ~25hrs per week in january

(all practice tests in January)
Man 2 540 ( 39Q, 27V)
Man 3 500 (25Q, 34V)--took first half at public library---total nightmare there
Man 4 590 (38Q,34V)
Gprep 1 500 (32Q,26V)
Man 5 590 (42Q, 32V)
GPrep 2 530 (42Q, 23V)
TEST DAY JAN 30 @ 10am- 460( 29Q, 24V)
***bad night sleep, freaked out, nervous, thought life was going to end***

--DIDNT STUDY at all for a month--got back to focusing on work, getting fit, eating healthy, enjoying my hobbies
--did quant section sunday the week before exam...no more review
--took day off before exam and finished verbal seciton --> Man6 exam 620(42Q, 33V)
+ reviewed some basic material ~45mins....watched tv..did laundry,essentially disregarded the exam completly.I said F it ...whatever happens...happens.
RETAKE 3/10/12 8am ---540( 32Q,32V)--felt relaxed, ate a snack in between math and verbal---CRUCIAL to keep the mind and energy..i cant thank myself enough for eating a snack

going for 600---do i retake?

School Profile I am trying to get into:

Class of 2011: TTL ~40 students
Median GMAT: 576
Range GMAT: 520-650 (20%-80%)
Range GPA: 3.0-4.0~~~~~3.4
Accptance Rate: 58.4%
Work Experience: not required....so if you have it...its in your favor
**started accepting ppl in Feb...Applications due by May 1***

My current Profile:
GMAT 540, GPA 3.1, Work 20 months, in state school.
visited program last winter

thanks for any advice.if you have any questions regarding my decision not to shoot for top50school..pm me and i wil explain...its complicated.(..if i go to this school its in state, 1 year, paid for, and i get a job offer(contract) at the end)making 1.5times the amount i get now.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7666 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 540 (32 Q, 32 V)--gunning for 600--acceptance probability?? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 14:28
Expert's post
Interesting post/situation.
Looks like based on the stats, you are above the 20th percentile in terms of the GMAT scores but since the program is only 40 people, there are only really 8-10 people with scores that are lower than yours, so that puts some pressure.

I think the answer is - it is doable to get in if you are able to put a good application together with thoughtful essays that can show that you are valuable to the program and can do the work and would make the school proud to have you. However, still some risk involved.

Another strategy is to take a GMAT Class that has a 50-point money back guarantee (Knewton, GMAT Pill, or Magoosh). In that case you are not losing anything until you do better. But in this case, the question is, do you have the time for a class and essays?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 540 (32 Q, 32 V)--gunning for 600--acceptance probability?? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 14:55
bb wrote:
Interesting post/situation.
Looks like based on the stats, you are above the 20th percentile in terms of the GMAT scores but since the program is only 40 people, there are only really 8-10 people with scores that are lower than yours, so that puts some pressure.

I think the answer is - it is doable to get in if you are able to put a good application together with thoughtful essays that can show that you are valuable to the program and can do the work and would make the school proud to have you. However, still some risk involved.

Another strategy is to take a GMAT Class that has a 50-point money back guarantee (Knewton, GMAT Pill, or Magoosh). In that case you are not losing anything until you do better. But in this case, the question is, do you have the time for a class and essays?

BB,
Thanks for the quick response.

Yea i put myself in the 25% end of the class....last year the bottom was 520 so I suspect the program has bumped up that bottom percent to ~ my score(540)...

Only a 300 word essay is needed for the application + 2 reccomendations(1 my supervisor,1 my mentor/ex-successul ups global manager/college career services head).

I visisted the admissions office back in the winter and they were very pleased with my interest in the program. Personally, I think my 20months of work experience in logistics supply chain( no not a ups deliver guy) will help in my admissions. Criteria straight from website:

Application Criteria
Applications to the 2012-13 MBA program will be accepted from October 15, 2011 to May 1, 2012. The basic criteria for application to the program are listed below. We also consider, but do not require, professional work experience. Individuals with undergraduate degrees in any field are invited to apply. Since the MBA program uses a rolling acceptance process, beginning in February 2012, early application is highly encouraged. International applications must be received by April 1, 2012.

•Competitive score on GMAT, GRE or approved graduate proficiency exam
•Competitive undergraduate GPA; 3.0 minimum
•Two letters of recommendation - one must be an academic reference
•Goal statement (300 word maximum)
•For international students, English language accreditation TOEFL 83 or IELTS 6.5; completed application received by April 1, 2012

My concern: backing up my verbal score...but I do think quant can improve...
Re: 540 (32 Q, 32 V)--gunning for 600--acceptance probability??   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2012, 14:55