Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

550 -> 650 -> 680

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, NYU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

550 -> 650 -> 680 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 02:44
I finished with my GMAT chapter with the score of 680. I considered to retake, but after talking with some students, graduates, and consultants, this grade should be fine when looking at my CV.

Background:
I am an Engineer with a lot of passion to Math :) and therefore my weakest part was the Verbal section. Oh right.. I am not a native English speaker.

Strategy:

Test1: 550: Q47 V19
The first test was a total shock for me because it was nothing like I saw ever before. I took the GMAX course, which by-the-way is NOT RECOMMENDED!, and the teacher there thought me some very basic rules and miss very important rules (mostly in the SC). GMAX also provided some tests of 800-score, which were very easy, and the ManhattanGmat's tests package, which were hard. So, mostly I learned from the MGMAT tests.

MGMAT1: 600 Q47 V26
MGMAT2: 630 Q47 V30
MGMAT3: 660 Q47 V33 (why I keep getting Q47??)
MGMAT4: 650 Q48 V32
MGMAT5: 620 Q47 V26
MGMAT6: 670 Q48 V33

GmatPrep's results were bad, but I don't remember how much bad :) And this freaked me out...

Test Day:
I came to the testing center very scared and shocked, and the results were not a surprise.

Test2: 650: Q50 V29
I needed a new method for study, so I signed up to Master GMAT (Also very NOT RECOMMENDED). They have a web interface that teaches you the rules. Well, I finished the program in one month (one or two hours every day), and I didn't feel that I improved something... The SC questions were very easy because they always based on what they showed you before. And it was always easy to eliminate the wrong questions. The RC question were very annoying! They give you a long passage with one question (never-mind the type), and timing you for that. Can you imagine that they give you one inference question and timing you for it with the time took you to perform the "initial reading"? Afterwards they give you several different passages with also one question in each passage, and THEN they give you back the first passage with a different question!!! How annoying!!

Also very important thing about Master GMAT: currently I'm working in a Computer Security as a Security Analyst, and I found that Master GMAT's site DO NOT encrypt the traffic (Not using SSL of some other encryption). But how it can hurt you? If you use the same password to this site and to your mail account, for example, any newbie hacker can download a software and get you password!!!!! BEWARE!!!

At the end I was less stressed but still I got 650.

I took a few months off to clean my head and complete the TOEFL. And decided to retake it again!

Test2: 680: Q50 V32

This time I was introduced to gmatclub :) I enjoyed reading others' experiences and that motivated me! My biggest problem were RC, therefore I took the GMAT RC Pill, which is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, and bought also SC MG, which is OK but too bad it don't have enough examples. and also RC MG which is also great.
So, I started to get great scores (700+) in MG and GmatPrep, and I didn't remember the questions. But, unfortunately I got a flu a few days before the exam and didn't practice before the exam at all. And I got what I got.

Good luck!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
550 -> 650 -> 680   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2011, 02:44