Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

550 ---> 650 + in 6 weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

550 ---> 650 + in 6 weeks [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 09:19
Took the Gmat this past wknd after 3 wks of studying. Did not find this site until the week before :(. My quant score was a dismal 32. Got caught up on two questions midway through, must have spent about 4 mins on each :shock:. With 9 mins. to go I had 12 questions left. Needless to say I need to work on my strategy. I thought I had successfullly ironed out this problem in practice tests, yet it seemed that pride got the better of me as I forced attempts to answer questions that were too difficult.

Any advice on how best to combat this problem would be of great help. I have already gone through the Kaplan 07' book, but had not yet used the OG, I purchased that yesterday as well as the Kaplan Math Workbook. I also plan to use the 1000 question documents and an error log.

My verbal wasn't so hot either, but I feel that most of my improvement should come from math. As suggested by another memeber I plan to read 'The Economist' every night to increase my reading comp skills. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 09:28
Here is what I have tried to do with the math and I only started doing this recently.

Train yourself so that when look at a math problem you are able to recognize the methodology used to find the answer. Don't just do a million problems and think that your learning something when your not. Ask yourself everytime you do a math problem, can I see the process that will lead me to the answer. Then test yourself by doing the problem and see if your methodology was correct.

This is what I have currently applied in my own study habits, I have wasted so much time just doing problem and not really learning anything.

If you being to master this then speed will come naturally.

I hope this helps!!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 04:37
Thanks..........I am in the process of refining my study routine. This information will certainly help.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2007, 07:36
Macsurf-

Have you been able to improve your score? I've been studying for a few months, used PR, Kaplan, Kaplan Math & MGMAT RC, but just picked up OG as I didn't know how good it was. My test is scheduled in 2 weeks and I still need to raise my score by 20-50 points to get in my desired "safe zone".
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 04:59
Nstavros-

I haven't retaken it yet, but in using the OG for the first time I can tell that my score should improve. I plan to complete the OG and then move on to Kaplan 800 and the OG verbal workbook before tackling anymore practice tests. So, I think you will be able to raise your score as I'm sure you have discovered by now.
  [#permalink] 26 Feb 2007, 04:59