Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 38

550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:35
Hi All

I gave GMAT the second time and scored dismal 560(Q45,V22).In my earlier attempt which I gave last year, in January, I scored 550(Q47,V20).

In all the prep tests I was scoring better than what I got on the GMAT.

Gmat Prep - 610(Q47,V28), 700 (Q49,V35)
Gmat Prep2 - 590(Q45,V28),660 (Q47,V32)(All these scores are to the best of my knowledge)

With always scoring more than 28 in the Verbal in all the Tests.

Since next 2 months, I would have less work in office so want to utilize this period.

I desperately need advice from you all.Could you please help.I need to score 710+.

I have 6 Manhattan online tests and 5 Manhattan Review Tests

Moreover both the times I did not had any problem with the Quants section but when I came to Verbal section I was out of gas,the same never happened in any of the Practice test. It could be due to the fact that both the times I was not able to sleep properly before the exam and felt as if I still need to sleep a couple of hours more(I slept for somewhere around 3 hours in the first attempt and approx 4 plus for the second one.)
I don't want to sound stupid but I feel this to be the only reason that I could not perform the same in the Gmat as I normally did in the Practice tests.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Last edited by aim730 on 24 Nov 2011, 04:23, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 01:14
Needless to stay you have to focus on verbal more than quant. With the data you have provided its very difficult to pinpoint your week areas but ill try.

amneetpadda wrote:
Since next 2 months, I would have less work in office so want to utilize this period.

This is grammatically wrong. It should be "For the next 2 months.. ". If it wasn't a typo you have just identified your first week area. Sentence Correction.

Now if you are someone who things "I have exhausted all the good texts especially MGmat" the following is what you can/should do:

* Master the skill of breaking a sentence to its very core.
* For every OG problem you should be able to identify the subject and the main verb.
* You should be able to able to identify what each modifier is modifying.
* You should be able to justify the tense usage.
* You should look for meaning errors before attacking the question for other errors.
* Learn from every question from OG even from the non underlined part.
* Justify why is the correct question correct and why are others wrong.
* Memorize idioms(they can make or break!!!).

I can't comment on CR and RC without more information. I would also advice you to start reading fiction. It would improve your vocabulary and your reading speed.

Al the best.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 18:33
anandxrfeu wrote:
Needless to stay you have to focus on verbal more than quant. With the data you have provided its very difficult to pinpoint your week areas but ill try.

amneetpadda wrote:

This is grammatically wrong. It should be "For the next 2 months.. ". If it wasn't a typo you have just identified your first week area. Sentence Correction.

Now if you are someone who things "I have exhausted all the good texts especially MGmat" the following is what you can/should do:

* Master the skill of breaking a sentence to its very core.
* For every OG problem you should be able to identify the subject and the main verb.
* You should be able to able to identify what each modifier is modifying.
* You should be able to justify the tense usage.
* You should look for meaning errors before attacking the question for other errors.
* Learn from every question from OG even from the non underlined part.
* Justify why is the correct question correct and why are others wrong.
* Memorize idioms(they can make or break!!!).

I can't comment on CR and RC without more information. I would also advice you to start reading fiction. It would improve your vocabulary and your reading speed.

Al the best.

Oh the irony! Lol. Jokes aside though, I agree with this post. OP, from your post, it is clear that you need serious work on your verbal. Try books and if you have the time and resources, consider a private tutor or classes.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 21:41
hey
dont get destroyed
do it again and win it.
Re: 550 and now 560 No where to go.......!!!!   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 21:41